WTB SX 24 Rim

WTB SX 24 Rim

The disc-only SX24 weighs little more than a top-level XC race rim at 460-grams, but is available at a fraction of the price. It is also available in a 700c model that weighs 505-grams.

32 Holes

[Jan 25, 2014]
Keith Pagan

Strength:

Long-lasting, Strong.

Scratch easily

Had these for nearly 4 years on my giant rincon then on my gt avalanche 3.0, never failed on me with cross country and light trials. Brilliant looking disc only rims strong enough for any daily riders.

[Nov 02, 2012]
Charles Evelyn

Strength:

Pretty Light and holds up great to light trail use.

If you looking to do any aggressive trail riding, jumping, drops, or rock gardens these rims will not hold up. I have had to retrue this wheels when ever I do a trail that is hard on the bike.

All and all if one isn't interested in doing jumps or any aggressive trail riding this are great entry level rims.

[May 07, 2012]
James

Strength:

Have coped with my 110kg weight, look good

Scratch easily

Have done well over 14,000km with these original rims and hubs (M475) on my 2009 GT Av1.
I am not the type of rider who goes for big air but equally I am not a pansy and ride hard on the rocky trails where I live. Look after them and service the M475 hub every 300km and they will last a long, long time!

[Jul 14, 2010]
DamnHippie

Strength:

Dont have the knowledge yet

Bent after light use

I thought it came untrue after some light trail riding, but after taking it the the shop for truing and them not being able to straighten it out i realized that it was bent. (they did not mention this to me! :( . I could still ride it but i on really messed up spoke tension. I will be replacing them with something different.

[Jun 30, 2010]
IHBrian

Strength:

Light, looks

Bend easy, weak

I can bend these without even trying. I only weigh 185, but if I come down with moderate force, they will wobble like theres no tomorrow. I would go with something stronger.

Mavic

[Aug 30, 2009]
Ecogeek

Strength:

Fine for lighter riders even on longer advanced intermediate rocky mountain trails. Strong for stock rims on cheaper bike.

None.

These are on the Mrs' bike. They came with CRAPPY Shimano 475 disc hubs (32 hole). I know the rims intimately as I check and true all our wheels etc. These have held up fine to XC use by a 140lb (loaded) rider for a couple of seasons - 2.1" tires. The hubs did not do so well. The rims are now used for commuting, thanks to those weak hubs. That's a shame as they're fine rims for the lighter, less aggressive (read female) rider. They may hold up to heavier stuff too, but they've not had the pleasure/pain of me riding them in the mountains, so I can't say if they can stand my weight, speed, or more aggressive style.
Another wheelset with better hubs (Sun SOS/Disc Jockey) is on mountain duty on the Mrs's bike. When the hubs that came with the SX24 rims completely die, I'll rebuild the wheels with better hubs and the undamaged SX24s will get back into the mountains to live out their days. I wouldn't choose these rims if I were building a wheelset for me (180lbs), but if they come with your bike and you're not too heavy, I wouldn't go out of your way to change them - unless the hubs are as weak as the shimano 475, in which case you're going to need another wheelset for proper mountain use sooner or later (probably sooner) - but that wouldn't be the rim's fault. Ride 'em.

Sun Blackeye. Sun SOS.

[Jul 22, 2009]
crr8yrider
Downhiller

Strength:

Very druable light and reliabe, great rim for any kind of riding, weither its across town to work or down an insane mountain. This rim gets the job done

can/t put a beefy tire on to shred

This is a great rim AAA+++ if you bend it you must be riding or doing somehting wrong

dual duty, sun ringle

[Dec 28, 2008]
Cardone

Strength:

Light

Weak, bend easy.

These wheels are ok. They don't hold up very good when it comes to jumping and shredding down steep rocky trails. But if you ride like a normal person then they should be fine.

Mavic

[Jul 19, 2008]
mountainbiker1

Strength:

A light rim and pretty robust

None that I know of yet

These are good rims And pretty light

X-Rims