WTB LaserDisc XC Rim

• Cross country and freeride rim
  • 24mm disc specific profile with excellent strength to weight ratio
  • 32 hole, black, welded

• User Reviews (15)

Kevin   All Mountain Rider [Nov 02, 2017]
    Strength:

Cheap?

Cheap
    Flimsy
    Bends incredibly easy
    Can't handle much abuse without getting destroyed

Got a refurbished bike with new tires and these were on it. On the 2nd trail ride I was going reasonably fast and slipped out on a berm and the rim was TOAST. And I mean it, no amount of bending and torquing could make it usable. I only weigh 125 lbs, so the fault seems to lie with the rims. Probably the cheapest rims ever, beware!

mhelander   Racer [Feb 20, 2014]
    Strength:

Cheap and stiff for its weight, easy wheelbuild, exceptionally good tubeless rim

None so far, applying Stans tubeless rim tape was little more laborious than some other rims

Bought this rim together with LaserDisc Trail 29er for my homebuilt fully suspended recumbent, was likely cheapest available for my 28h hub. I was totally amazed how good quality rim this was and building wheel was breeze.

Later bought DT-Swiss XR-400 rim and WTB LaserDisc hubs to replace these rims but when going tubeless these just didn't work with my required low pressures. So turned back to put my Furious Fred 50-559 tire to this rim with great results.

Eventually bought another WTB LaserDisc Lite hub pair and rebuilt this rim and Trail 29er using 2.0/1.5 3-cross spokes. That is my racing setup and it's working flawlessly.

Going tubeless was exceptional experience. Applying Stans tape was little laborious because of deep center groove but when done this rim together with Mavic tubeless valve was immediately fully airtight and rim has required groove to keep flimpsy Furious Fred tire beaded in all my punishment. And WTB didn't suggest these to be used in tubeless setups...

What more to say, my next rims will also very likely be WTB's later generation rims, no DT-Swiss rims anymore.

Similar Products Used: DT-Swiss XR-400
    Fparra   [Jan 03, 2013]
    Strength:

they are in the stock build Santa Cruz Super Light 29er...maybe the price...because it was in the stock build DXC no chilis

Stiffnes... they are build for street riding..

a lot of rear flex in the 29'r version... the front is also flex but not as the rear is... riding in rocky trail...not an abusive riding style...mostly climbing and downhill at descent speed... they where curved and fixed by spoke tension.. really don't know why they got curved... at the end the flexy feeling is the most uncomfortable thing ever happen...

cigar_fiend   Cross Country Rider [Apr 18, 2011]
    Strength:

none that I can find

I was at a MTB Race in Ardmore Oklahoma this past weekend and hit a patch of sand that sent me head first into a tree. These rime bent like paper. I was able to finish the race because they were rubbing the inside of my shock, but still rolling. I am very disappointed in these rims. I was hoping they would last longer so I could save up for some nice Easton or Mavics, but I guess I will be getting them before I planned to!

These rims are not strong at all. I was not going fast when I hit the tree. This is evident by the total lack of any injury to myself. This front rim is weaker than warm butter. I will be replacing them TODAY!

mtbiker21574   Cross Country Rider [Aug 10, 2009]
    Strength:

These are lightweight low priced rims.

They are weak and will bend easily when flexed laterally.

I had a pretty good endo on my new bike last weekend. I am pretty sure that the cause of the crash was after hauling through a rock garden my front rim bent so badly that it stopped spinning through the fork, causing me to ride the next section on my face. I am reasonably certain that the bent rim was the cause of the crash and not the result. I remember seeing the bike fly through the air and land nicely on the rear wheel, not on the front. Regardless, they are weak rims and should be used by casual riders.

Similar Products Used: None
    finny1999   Weekend Warrior [Jul 31, 2008]
    Strength:

strength. very weak rim. Walmart bike rims lasted longer.

Rim is absolute garbage. 50 miles on a new bike and I had a hard time riding the bike home the rim was bent that bad. I've ridden and wrecked cheaper bikes and wheelsets that held up better. Bottom line is one week, first wreck and I now have a bike I can't ride because the wheel is bent that bad.

Similar Products Used: various generic and cheap setups
    Ride247forLife   Weekend Warrior [Jul 30, 2008]
    Strength:

Super light

Super super weak

Don't buy these rims. They are extremely weak. I bent them after a very minor crash. Not worth your time. Look somewhere else for a light weight rim

Similar Products Used: Nothin
    John   [Sep 19, 2002]

Laced to King ISO hubs as an upgrade to the flexy Mavic 223/Deore setup that came stock on my Scalpel. They built up beautifully and haven't moved a bit in about 300 miles of hard riding. Time will tell, but so far these seem like a great combination of strength and weight for a 200 pounder like myself.

JEff   Weekend Warrior [Mar 26, 2007]
    Strength:

I couldn't find any before it smushed.

I would not, NOT, buy these rims. If it comes with your bike, I would advise to change them. They are very very weak. I mean target bike rims last 10x longer, and this isn't a joke. After getting my new bike I rode it around my driveway to find out that the rims are bent. wow....

If you understand it's strengths and weaknesses, you decide. Which one is better?? Because it came with the bike, I am giving it 2 chili's for value, but overall a rim that lasts for 2 minutes of driveway riding, nuh, uh. POOR!!! (This may vary though for different rims, so I could have just have gotton a rotton set, so if yuo do get them, don't be a sour apple). This review basically describes my experience with them.

Matthew Snow   Cross Country Rider [Nov 03, 2002]
    Strength:

The rims have held well with only minor truing.Easy to change tires. Black finish lasts.

Use wide rim tape to cover spoke holes because of possible sharp corners.

These wheels are lite in weight and have held up well to 80 hours of abuse for East Coast riding.Rich does a great job at building wheels!He makes a difference.