WTB LaserDisc Trail Rim

LaserDisc Trail

Build a burly wheel with the WTB LaserDisc Trail Rim. This 32-hole all-mountain rim is ready for whatever you can throw at it.

MK   All Mountain Rider [May 16, 2012]
Strength:

Price

Strength

This thing is terrible. I taco'ed 2 of these in less than a month. The first one I rode for about 10 months, the second one, two rides.

The first "taco" was on a downhill section of an AM trail. Where it happened, there were no turns and no rocks. I still can't figure out how it happened, but caused me to mess up my rear derailleur and cranks when my bike tumbled into a tree. It taco'ed so abruptly, I went over the bars because it locked up the wheel.

The second one is what convinced me this thing is junk. I was on a section of trail that spanned between two sections of a paved trail that we use to access the ride. It's 30 feet long. At the transition from dirt to paved, wheel locked up and sent me over the bars (I wasn't going fast, so it was slow-mo). Got up all wtf and found my wheel in the classic taco shape.

There is no way this is a trail/AM wheel. I now use Stans Flow and have had zero problems. Oh and did I mention I'm only 150 lbs?

lts builder   Weekend Warrior [Aug 06, 2011]
Strength:

strong light ish and they look ok to (not in your face).
rim beed is a good thing and a major strength (wen running tubless) but also their biggest weekness as they are really hard to seat.

the rim beed, ( take out your valve core and run a dribble of fairy liquid (any dish wash liquid) all the way round the tyre and rim beed. then as you pump the tyre ensure the beed seats on both sides oposite the valve. do not worry about the rest, once thats on you will notice probably that both side are seatd by the valve as well so you 2 oposite point that the tyre is seated, now pump like a madman! the tyre will seat when u get to arround 40-60 psi. i had problems with these but this works for me every time.

good rims dispite the problems with seating tyres. iv trashed a few tubes tryin to get these to seat as the constant movement of the pump combined with the heat from compresion and the high pressures needed have made week tubes blow the valves. bottom line go tubeless use stans or similar. you can get these well cheap second hand. just three chilis tho because there not with out issue.

Similar Products Used: halo mavic
cesalec   Weekend Warrior [Jun 29, 2011]
Strength:

apparently light, fairly maintenance free, 3 years of bashing on them and they have never been trued, no spokes have been loosened and they have almost null scratches , absolutelly null dings, or flat spots. Tires seat secure enough.

Their design (graphic) is sooooo boring, hubs could be better, perhaps with a hope hub these would rock. It isnt that easy to install the tires on them, I mean make them pop.

I cannot comment on the price, these came stock with my 2008 Giant Reign 0. I am not a smooth rider, I am not very good at riding, and I suppose I have a couple of times forgotten the tire pressure was to low.

I ride All Mountain, I get aggressive when I can, and I somtimes ride the DH tracks (havent done any of the big drops or ramps, I dont think my bike is made to stand that abuse) but these wheels are so far almost new!

planning on changing the wheelset for pure looks

Similar Products Used: All Mountain rims, hmm none.
LuckyTHlRT33N   Cross Country Rider [Jun 12, 2011]
Strength:

Fairly Light

These wheels from my experience with the 26" version are great, light, strong, no complaints, except for when I tried to mount Kenda Nevegal non-UST tires on there. I have a feeling that these tires are not made to spec, as I have read others problems getting this tire's bead to seat on this rim. Putting the tire on by putting the bead in the center of the rim is ok, but once you get it on, I could not for the life of me get it to slip into the bead seat of the wheel. I tried using tire spoons to finagle the tire bead up on the outside portion of the rim, but it is waaaay to tight. I've broken 3 tough kydex tire spoons, and ruined a inner tube trying to get the tire's bead to seat. All this and I haven't even tried to get this to run tubeless and seat it.

Similar Products Used: LaserDisc 26"
Geth   Cross Country Rider [Oct 05, 2010]

What can I say......?
I've just put in my 4th inner tube in just two rides.
I hadn't had a puncture for a loooong time then this happens.
There is a MAJOR problem with the seating ledge in the rim.
No matter how much fumbling about I seem to do to get the tyre to seat properly it just isn't happening. That's using a track pump at home and a small pump on rides.

My view is that the inner tube is either getting slightly trapped between the tyre bead & the STUPID lip on the on the seating ledge in the rim.
It holds for a while.... then....PSSSSSSSSSSSS. Down she goes.

New rims will be on order in the morning....

ag   Cross Country Rider [Jul 13, 2010]
Strength:

sexy

can't keep tubes inflated

I get flats every 50 miles. I can't keep air in the tires. I'm on my third set of tires. I have 20 tubes in my garage that have slow leaks. I just finished the Cascade Cream Puff, but had two flats (rear then front). We're not talking pinch flats, thorns, nails or punctures, just slow leaks. I have two thick layers of rim tape and still get flats. If you know why let me know. If you want to buy these things off of me let me know. They are barely 1 year old and have 1000 miles on them.

Similar Products Used: mavic, sun
ep-gnar   Cross Country Rider [Apr 25, 2010]
Strength:

lightweight for a rim this wide
bead seats FIRMLY

bead seats FIRMLY
not very strong

I've never had an issue getting tires on or off the rims (work the bead into the low spot in the middle of the rim, like with most rims), but getting the bead to seat fully is a pain the ass. There is a little rib in the bed of the rim that makes it so. I've been inflating the tires to 60psi and working the tire side to side. Haven't gotten many flats (knock on wood) with these, but if I did, I wouldn't bother seating the bead until I got back to my floor pump.

That said, these rims will hold your tire tight and they're fairly wide, so they're good for running fat tires at low pressure. They're about as light as you can get for a rim that width.

Bottom line is they're an good rim for trail-riding if you get a good deal, but look at stans flow or dt 520 are the same price, size and weight without the bead-seating issue, afaik.

Similar Products Used: mavic 721's
sknsnw9   Weekend Warrior [Apr 07, 2010]
Strength:

Stayed trued after riding through some rough terrain but one bad hit will bend it.

I'm light, 160 lbs and I bent this rim sideways when I was going high speed through the rock garden and smashed at a pointy rock.

This would be rims would be fine for the easy riders, but if you are going to ride hard, I would suggest finding new rims or at least wait till this one breaks. I will probably get one of the mavics.

ADI   Weekend Warrior [Mar 20, 2010]
Strength:

LOOKS GOOD , strong dependable structure.

hard to change tyres

in use for more then 1.5 years with aggresive use + my weight is 230 pound , and no signs of any problem.

Similar Products Used: mavic 317.
seann   Weekend Warrior [Nov 29, 2009]
Strength:

durable, decent weight

none found

Not sure why others have problems with these, I weigh 225 and ride pretty hard. This includes jumping and all mountain use. Wheels have stayed as true as expected and my nevegals can be installed by hand in a matter of seconds. I build my own wheels and will be using the same rims for my next set (better hubs).