WTB Laserbeams Rim

Laserbeams

WTB Laserbeams

abikerider   Cross Country Rider [Mar 06, 2014]
Strength:

They stay true and have a wide breaking surface. Strong and light.

Tight, tight fit onto tires

These are great rims. Too bad WTB couldn't have better quality control when it comes to sizing. I've broken a few plastic tire levers on these because of how tightly they fit some tires. Today I decided to do something about it. I stood it up next to a Mavic 517 and they were about 3/32" bigger in diameter. That's a lot when it comes to rims. I decided to file the outer diameter down a little to make it easier on me. I mounted the wheels sans tires on the bike and got to work. Working my way around the rim I used a file to slowly remove material from the outside of the rim. This took many rotations of the rim and I had to clean the file with each rotation. I finally got it to less than 1/16" bigger than the Mavic and after chamfering the rough edges with the file I was able to put a tire on with only a little difficulty. I did not want to take more than this off out of fear of weakening the tire bead lip on the rim. It was already looking pretty thin. The rim went from "nearly impossible to mount the tire" to "just a tight fit". I am now happy with the rims and I hope this helps others with the same problem.

Similar Products Used: Mavic, Sun
Frank   Weekend Warrior [Mar 11, 2002]
Strength:

Durability
Low Maintenance (i.e., very little trueing needed)

quality control (i.e., slag rattle)

I would have to give these rims four stars: five for endurance and three for quality control. After two years and 4,000 miles of aggressive abusive, it's finally time to retire them due to flat spots. On the plus side, these rims were low maintenance - they seldom required trueing even after innumerable pinch flats. On the negative side, the quality control could be improved upon. Both the front and the rear were subject to slag rattle - nothing major, just an annoyance.

Similar Products Used: Mavic 517
Daniel Elps   Racer [Oct 25, 2005]
Strength:

Great Looks, Strong, Light

No wear indicator on the rim if you use v-brakes (I use disc's though)

WTB named these wheels correctly, they are as straight as Laserbeams, as fast as Laserbeams and only about 400 grams heavier than Laserbeams. I am not really a Mountian Biker but I am a semi-pro road racer so Im pretty used to light wheels and these wheels really have a low curb weight. Definetly worth the $.

Similar Products Used: WTB Speedisc
WTB Dual Duty
Sun Rims Rhyno Lite's
Dr Shepard Mclintock   Downhiller [Dec 13, 2006]
Strength:

fits on my bike, made of reinforced paper mache

they dont speak english

i dont see a line---- where are u hiding it can u please tell me i want to eat it.

Similar Products Used: internet, camel, mountain goat,
Monty   Cross Country Rider [Feb 29, 2004]
Strength:

Very strong. Has stayed relatively true for three years.

Very, very difficult to put tires on. I have broke tire levers during tube changes.

This is a very strong rim. I have had to adjust/tighten the rear spokes once in three years. I have not touched the front. Sadly, the difficulty in putting on a tire downgrades this rim greatly. I have spent upwards of twenty minutes attempting to put the tire back on after a flat. This hurts your time in a race.

Similar Products Used: Mavic X517
bmxr   [Sep 19, 2002]
Strength:

I'm thinking . . .

Weakness is the weakness. POS.

These rims don't hold up AT ALL. They are terrible, and I was dissapointed in GT for putting them on something that is supposed to be really strong (of course we all know now thatthey had bigger problem!) Avoid these rims if you are a freerider, or anything but an XC racer.

D   Cross Country Rider [Feb 17, 2003]
Strength:

tall braking surface, strong for compression and laterally

sidewall supereasy to ding, tall braking surface

Seem super easy to ding the sidewalls and put bumps in them. Dinged it first week of riding quite bad without even pinchflatting. Pretty poor. Managed to bend/bash out the bumps enough to be bearable with v brakes but still.... Probably wouldn't be so much of a big deal running discs. Also, these rims are the hardest rims I've ever had for changing tyres. Had to go out and buy steel tyre levers (which are munting the rim's surface) and have to use them to get nearly all tyres off and some back on which I have never ever had to do in the past with other rims.

Similar Products Used: mavic, alex, sun, lots...
Jordan Lambert   Cross Country Rider [Sep 04, 2001]
Strength:

Strong, light, fast, stay true, low maintenance, GG Hubs rule

Nothing major

The guys at Airbomb build them right with Swiss DB black spokes, and WTB hubs! These rims have taken a lot of rocks and roots, ladders, and a few drop offs and stayed straight & no pinch flats. Did have to file off the rough edges inside rim and clera the filings before mounting tubes/tires. Only needed spoke tightening & truing once. Well worth the money!

Great XC racing rim and good for technical stuff too.

Similar Products Used: Weiman, Mavic
Nab   Weekend Warrior [Jan 04, 2004]
Strength:

Light, tough and pretty.

A little hard putting the tire on.

These rims are great. I think i got a good deal. $60 for the wheelset laced to Lx hubs. They're light and so far have remained true after a month and a few 2-3 foot drops. It's a little bit harder to put the tire on but it didn't take me 3 guys are 2 hours. I only used 1 plastic lever and that took me 10 mins. Usually i take 5 mins. So far, i've tried with Tioga psycho and Schwalbe Fast Fred with no problems. And they look good !!!!

woe   Cross Country Rider [Oct 13, 2000]
Strength:

Light

Easily bent. Poor quality control.

I bought a Paradigm wheelset with these rims. I bent both of them. One was my fault, but the front bent JRA. I replaced the front with a new Laserbeam which destroyed my tire with a sharp bead of aluminum in the rim lip. The damned tire cost more than the rim! What crummy quality control. The other rim got replaced with a Valiant.

Similar Products Used: Valiant.