WTB Frequency I23 Rim

Frequency I23

WTB Frequency TCS i23 26" Rim: XC/Trail tubeless ready rim. Features WTB's Unbendium Bulge, a band of material on the sidewall that counters torsional, radial and lateral flex. I-Beam vertical wall support counters spoke loads and further...

tyrebyter   All Mountain Rider [Jul 17, 2014]
Strength:

Strength, weight, width, tubeless profile

Sleeved, not welded

Wheelset built by my LBS with Hope hubs, Wheelsmith double-butted spokes and the 650b version of this rim. Mounted on Santa Cruz Chameleon about 15 months ago. Have mounted a variety of tires including Honey Badgers(pro and sport), Nevegals, Geax Gatos and Kenda Telonix. All seated with a very satisfying snap suggesting a very solid grip on the bead. These rims have been to hell and back without a single complaint. Moab, Crested Butte, Angel Fire and every nasty, Rocky, ledgy trail I could find local. Then my kid built a new Banshee Rune and I donated the wheels. He's done every thing I did to them, but faster and higher. Just can't hurt them. They've changed my thinking about sleeved rims. Highly recommend.

Similar Products Used: Easton Havoc, Mavic 721, Fulcrum Red Zone
bmccann   All Mountain Rider [Jun 11, 2013]
Strength:

Strong, light, cheap, durable

The paint, if you care about nicks and dings.

I've owned these rims for a over a year now and I don't any complaints with them. I ride a 6" AM bike and it is my only bike, so I use it for everything from XC style trails to DH shuttle runs. I run tubeless and use a trail tire or a DH tire depending on what kind of trail I am riding, I have never had issues mounting the tires, they mount up easily with a normal floor pump (as long as you are using a tubeless tire and enough sealant). The 23mm ID is great for squaring out the tire's profile and delivering better performance from any tire regardless of brand or intended use. I have had to true the rear wheel once and it does have one small ding on the side wall of the rim, but it doesn't effect the performance of the rim. Bottom line if you are looking for a reasonably priced, strong, light rim then you might want to give these a try.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Crossmax SX
nuno_machuqueiro   All Mountain Rider [Sep 15, 2012]
Strength:

23 mm inside, gives the tire a better profile. ligth , cheaper than its cousin ztr and ligther
easy to tubeless.
strang and rigid

so far so good
maybe the look!!

i´m not a big jumper so can´t say if stand the abuse of big jumps!!
but even on rock gardens at max speed is still true and no dents so far.

Similar Products Used: blackjack fr 420 , Dh 560 , Mavic 317 , mavic 321 , wtb model ??
Jeremy   [May 21, 2012]
Strength:

Light, well build and strong.

colour..

This was bought to replace a 6 month old ztr flow laced with sapim laser spokes..

i weight 240 lbs and have never been happier.
these are lighter than the flow. the bead sits in deeper and more secure than the flow. havent had a pinch flat once for over 40 hours of riding and pair with 4 different tires.

stiff enough for me to take it across large rocks and roots at 35km/h clocked with my gps with lots of small drops and high speed braking corners for 3 continuous rides and nothing bad came out of it. paired with a hope pro 2 evo 142 x 12 and a hope 20mm front and sapim laser spokes, brass nipples, total pair weight was 1.75kg with rim tape. these rims rock and like the previous reviewer, its a great product and hopefully only greater products can succeed it. technology sure makes such good rims viable and cost effective these days. they are awesome stuff and i do highly recommend it against the flows. its cheaper, lighter and i reckon stronger and can be pulled to higher tensions. the graphics are simple and nice but wish they had white rims. WTB, where did u out this rim from. its amazing!

Similar Products Used: easton havocs am, stans ztr flow, syntace ds28, mavic 717, wtb laser disc dh, syntace ds32, mavic crossride.
KeithxCourage   All Mountain Rider [Mar 27, 2012]
Strength:

stiff, durable, tubeless ready, brand reputation, price.

Nothing to report as of yet.

I purchased these rims as part of a custom built wheelset from Universal cycles (pretty legit service, actually). The front is laced to a Hope hub (to cut costs a bit) and the rear is laced to a Chris King HD. After 7 years of being broke, cheap, or a sad combination of both, I figured it was high time I spend the money on something that (hopefully) works like a champ and may last the better part of a decade.

There aren't too many options for a 23mm inner width tubeless ready rim and I really, really wanted a 23mm rim. I read a number of individuals complaining about how soft Stan's hoops were and Mavic's offering, while bombproof, weighed only slightly less than a two-handed broadsword. There were extremely few reviews of the i23 so I figured I would be doing the MTB community a service by trying a new-to-the-market product. Plus, I had a lot of faith in WTB. Worse comes to worse, I can trash the rims and build the hubs up with something with a better history.

I've had total of 4 rides on them so far. Three of those rides were in Fruita and the last ride was at Buffalo Creek in Colorado.

-The first thing I thought when I hit the trail was how stiff these rims are. I feel almost no flex and it inspires me to push a little harder in the corners. I felt very connected to the trail.

-I'm pretty rough on my stuff. It was pretty important the rims stay true throughout a ride. After a lot of rock gardens, a couple drops, and countless poorly picked lines, they still hold straight and true (a bit redundant?). It's important to note that one drop sent me over bars and somersaulted the bike with me. Were I too rate the durability only on these rims they would definitely receive 5 Chilis. Look forward to putting these rims through more geological warfare.

-Weight is simply a numbers game. Universal Cycles lists these rims as ~200 gr lighter per rim than Mavic EX823s. That is quite a bit of gramage to shave off of rolling stock. It also ever so slightly helps lofting the front over those larger trail obstacles.

-Unfortunately, due to a number of variables out of my control, I had a shop put on both tires while they checked initial spoke tension. This means I can't personally comment on how well the tires go on. The tech said the tires went on easy and sealed up immediately using a compressor. I can, however, say that the rim/tire interface has provided an awesome seal. I have not experienced a single burp since riding these rims. Tire choice does play a role in this aspect, so, to be fair, I may just be exceedingly lucky by having the two perfect tires for these rims.

Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase. I feel confident that they'll last and remain stiff for the next couple years. Putting them through the paces of Fruita and coming out unscathed definitely boosts my opinion of them. If you want your stuff to be tough and durable then have a look. They cost about 40 dollars less than Mavic's renowned EX823s and, at this point, perform on par, if not better than the Mavics.

Extra herps thrown in for derps.

Similar Products Used: First tubeless ready wheelset I've owned. Brief experience (read: riding my friends bikes around the block) with other UST/tubeless rims. Owned and ridden countless mediocre, tube-specific rims and a few good tube-specific rims.