Weinmann Zac-19 Rim

Weinmann Zac-19

carlatshoalbay   All Mountain Rider [Mar 25, 2012]
Strength:

Strong wheel for touring, training, 120kg rider, 35kg gear, 22 kilo bike and racks.
Dirt roads, trails, tar, potholes.
Great entry level wheel and touring wheel for budget concious

Under rated by millionaires, egocentrics, and those that can afford better.

These wheels were fitted to my Apollo mountain bike when I bought it five years ago. I seldom road the bike up until two years ago when I started MTB in the Blue Mountains near Sydney. I am a big bloke middle age bloke of 120kg and although I rode alot in my youth, I am now finding it a little hard to stay light in the saddle. After loosing 10kg going up and down the Blue Mountains, I decided I was progressing to the stage where I was going to start falling hard. I decided that a ride from Cairns to Sydney would probably be safter despite the trucks and traffic. I kept training on the bike everyday until my gear and paniers arrived. I rode the bike the distance with tremendous weight on the bike on both trail and tar. I had a little accident in the bush 36kms from the nearest town and broke three consequtive spokes and had no option to walk it out with my gear still mounted on the bike. When I took the bike in to be respoked the mechanic was suprised that the wheel had remained true, the bearings were good and the overall condition of the wheel after the punishment I had dealt it. He replaced only three spokes. I am still riding on these wheels a year later.

Similar Products Used: Any entry level disc wheels.
Caleb87   Weekend Warrior [Feb 13, 2012]
Strength:

not alot for urban assault

heavy, weak on 180s, 360s, etc, and pretty ugly

These wheels are probably fine for xc or even some aggressive all mtn riding but as soon as you try to throw a 360 or even land an air a little sloppy, youve got problems. It is probably a great wheel for recreational use but not for urban riding at all.

ExpoEco   Cross Country Rider [Apr 17, 2010]
Strength:

Takes punishment on the the chin!

Subject to abrasion...

These rims took 3 years of x-country riding over very rough terrain - carrying a rider of (ahem...) 95 kg or 210 lbs plus panniers weighing up to 20 kg. They stayed true and reliable, never a wobble or flat spot. OK, so I wore out 2 sets of 2.1 inch tyres on them, and kept an eye on how the wheels were doing, but I never actually had to re-true them. Remarkable! Now the rims are worn below the wear line, and are starting to go out of true. No real surprises there - 1.5mm of aluminium carrying such loads over rough ground, with the rear wheel taking most of the braking. I reckon that the wear has come mainly from rides over sandy ground with constant speed-check braking over long descents.

Excellent rims for x-country, strong and reliable.

Similar Products Used: Alex Ace
max obado   Cross Country Rider [Apr 10, 2010]
Strength:

tested zac 19's 700c w/ DB insight rs on dh fire trails and dh streets of san francisco, and no problems.great city and light trail. bike purchase w/zac 19's.

ugly,but so what.

zac 19's are inexpensive, I got what I pay for,I have no complaints, I guess I lucked out? preventive maintenance is a key factor,look,listen,feel, inspect,and then correct.That will take you there and back.

Similar Products Used: wtb,,shimano deore,xt,105's mavic,ultegra,fuji
stubecontinued   Weekend Warrior [Jan 27, 2010]

weak, ugly, blah

These Came stock on my Steel Reserve and I knew it was only a matter of time til' I botched a 180 and bent 'em. I just thought it would be a matter of months, not weeks. If you have them, use them til they break, if you're considering buyinh them, don't.

Similar Products Used: Ritchey, WTB, Rigida, lots
wolfcross   Cross Country Rider [Feb 27, 2009]
Strength:

Economical, may last as long as user is aware of rims limitations and are honest about your riding ability/ frequency.

I have used these rims on: MTB, Touring & Cyclo-cross/ Commuter.Just not a stout rim. They flex under side loading which leads to consistent dings. For being of such robust design they do not perform like they look. I have used single wall rims that were a much stronger and maintained their trueness. Just across the spectrum of use from Road Riding, commuting or single tracking as soon as the terrain gets rough/ rugged as sure as poop when the ride is over the wheel has a wobble; hop or a ding.

I have used these rims as an OEM wheelset and built up as replacement rims with the same performance which drew me to the same conclusion: Inferior Product and/or product inconsistency. Look esle where if you going to be serious about riding and ride on a regular basis. If you do not meet this criteria they should be fine for your use, also if you really strapped for $$$. A comparable rim that is a sister model(Similar construction, spec'ing and price point) that gets consistent reviews from everyone except Hucksters is SUN CR18!! LOOKS LIKE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK!!

Similar Products Used: The whole spectrum of Wheel Co.(s): Mavic, Alex, Specialised, Winneman, Velocity, etc.
capt|rambo   Cross Country Rider [Oct 10, 2008]
Strength:

Great, not a single problem, they say don't go over 1.9 tires but my 2.35 high rollers are fine. I think maybe this product has a bad history. I haven't had a problem and I'm doing some jump landing to flat over 3 feet high with not much forward speed.

Haven't noticed any as yet.

After riding as hard as i can and pre jumping ridiculously so i land at the bottom of roll ins on my hardtail they are perfect, not a smidge out and this is after riding 100s of miles mostly off road and jumping for about 6 hours a week for the past fortnight. Perhaps the ZAC19 has had a big change since the old version that seemed to be quite bad. But I certainly rag this wheel and have never noticed a problem.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager sport, got stolen so I got the ZAC19
Rickyrat   Weekend Warrior [Jun 11, 2008]
Strength:

inexpensive, double walled, look fairly cool and I needed a cheap rim and disc hub when my wallet went dry

mostly those people that dont know how to build a wheel or keep them true bad mouthing everything that they break

keep your spokes properly tensioned and your wheels true and you have no worries. I might be a weekend warrior but I have been bashing up 2 wheelers since the sixties and have broken every part on a bike at one time or another, even snapped a bottom bracket axel once! I have been building wheels since the earlie eighties and I cant stand to have my rims even half a mm out of true. if you wreck theese rims then you might want to buy a book on wheel building and find out what you or your favorite tech is doing wrong, back in the stone age we rode single walled steel rims on bikes with no suspension and hardly any brakes, catching six feet of air on our schwinn 'rays and landing on the pavement and didn't have the problems you pacified whiners are sniveling about! theese "XC" rims hold up to my 225lb arse through all of my weekend dirt wars and abuse just as well as my top dollar mavics no complaints here! but I held back one chillie cause they dont glow in the dark

Similar Products Used: mavics araya rm20's (remember those)? sun, wtb, schwinn, various no name taiwan and chineese products
Mike   Weekend Warrior [May 16, 2008]
Strength:

Strong enough to handle 2 years of big time punishment on rocky CT trails, stays relatively true, great stock rim

Mine came with a generic rear hub that for 2 years took the abuse, now I get a bad clicking sound from the cassette hub body that is not servicable. Otherwise no complaints

The rim is great for it's price and level of quality. Mine has reinforced eyelets so it has really held up to the abuse better than ZAC-19s without reinforced eyelets. I fell on a winter ride and landed with all my weight on the back rim and bent it sideways, had it trued and it kept on trucking like nothing happened to it. Used it for 2 foot drops and it handled the drops easily, those who have killed it are probably too heavy or don't know how to land gracefully. Once again, some come with generic hubs, however the rim has been dependable enough that I installed Deore rear hub and restrung it rather than getting a new rim.

Pete   Downhiller [Jul 14, 2003]
Strength:

i guess they are alright dor riding that is not to hard but i abuse them really hard

dent easily, get flats easily, the weld on them is splitting front and back...if you want to do extreme riding stay away

dont buy if you want to do hard riding they are shizzy....i am getting sun double wide's....they real way to go....and i RUN DISKS....so shut up if yo say who would!!!!