Velocity Blunt SL 29 Rim

Blunt SL 29

Redesigned to be lighter, stronger, faster. Introducing Velocity's newest rim, the Blunt SL. Bringing together the proven success and technology of our P35 and Blunt rims, we have created a tubeless race day rim sure to elevate your riding to the next level!

• Bead seat diameter: 622
  • Weight: 420g
  • ERD = 606
  • Colors: Black, Silver, White
  • Drillings: 28, 32, 36

• User Reviews (9)

David   Cross Country Rider [Nov 24, 2013]
    Strength:

Made in USA

Soft Rims they do not stay true .

I have three rides on these rims they will not stay true . I was worried when I orders these wheels I am 6'3 and 200lbs these wheels are done they will not hold up to a heavy rider.

Similar Products Used: Stans Flow ,sun ringle equilizer
    Zachariah   All Mountain Rider [Jul 05, 2013]
    Strength:

~ Light, 29er rims
    ~ Stealth Black looks sharp
    ~ Wide, 25mm rim width
    ~ Can handle 110psi 700c commuter tire pressures
    ~ Now made in USA!
    ~ Great Customer Service

~ Rim wall is SOFT. Easy with those tire levers!

These wheels originally came with heavy Shimano Deore XT hubs, and weighed 2100g, without skewers. However, once re-laced with American Classic Disc Lite hubs and DT Swiss Super Competition spokes - the wheels now come in at at a feathery 1677g. The wide rim profile reduces flex on turns, but the soft rim walls requires care and caution, when changing out tires. I was able to have Velocity CS replace my wheel no questions asked.

I now run these wheels on my 700c commuter, with zero issues. On the trail - they sealed-up fast tubeless and cornered as stable as my Stans ZTR Crest wheelset.

Similar Products Used: ~ Ringle Black Flag Comp 29
    ~ Specialized Roval Control Trail 29
    ~ Fulcrum Red Power XL
    ~ Giant P-XC2 29
    Michael Jordan   Cross Country Rider [Nov 15, 2012]
    Strength:

These are light strong rims that work with Stans Tape & Valves for tubeless great

None so far still riding them

This review is for the 650b version of this rim. MTBR did not have that choice. (SAD) I use these for there intended use. X country and some all mountain. I built this rim up as a rear wheel with a WTB Super Duty Hub 12mm x 135mm and DT Double Butted spokes. It has stayed true for 1 year of steady riding and besides scratches on the spartan decals no damage. I run the wheel tubeless with Stans yellow Tape and valve with Stans goo and they air up easily with stock Kenda Nevegal 2.35 tires

Similar Products Used: WTB, DT Swiss, FSA XC300, and many other I just can't remember
    Yoshi   Racer [Sep 21, 2012]
    Strength:

Light - but not super light

Soft material = dents easily!

I had a Blunt SL built up on a Hope 2 SP rear hub about a month ago. This rim replaced a Stan's Crest... In the 20+ years I've been pedalling on the dirt I've done very little damage to wheels, and never dented a rim until now. The Rim Material seems to be very soft as I found 2 large dented sidewalls after one ride. The crazy thing is this wheel is set up tubeless, and didn't burp any air - good! Overall I would not recommend these rims to others. I purchased this rim thinking it would be a better rim than the stan's Crest, it also weighs more... Going back to the Stan's until the bank account allows the switch to Carbon hoops.

Similar Products Used: Stans Crest
    duggus   All Mountain Rider [May 17, 2012]
    Strength:

Light weight
    Strong
    Price

Nothing

This review is for the 29er Velocity Blunt SL rim. I had these rims built up by prowheelbuilder.com to Hope Pro2's. They have held up VERY well the last 2 months for my 220lb body. I have ridden nicely groomed singletrack, as well as rutty, rugged, all mountain trails. I love the low-key graphics and matte finish. The wheels are very light thanks to these rims.

reformed roadie   [May 13, 2012]
    Strength:

Lightweight.
    Easy tubeless set-up w/ yellow tape
    Adequately stiff

Haven't had a problem thus far, but they do not seem super sturdy...

So far, so good. I am aware of their intended use, and treat them accordingly. They are used for my lighter wheel set, and don't see anything too nasty. They were once subjected to a pounding when I rode at a spot that was way gnarlier than expected. They held up, but I was conscious of them every time I slammed something.
    They are nice and light. Aired up a set-up tubeless ready tires with a pump. I would recommend them for XC use. They are a little wider then typical XC rim, which is nice.

Tikesdad   Cross Country Rider [May 11, 2012]
    Strength:

Wide profile for the weight. Have proven to be strong. Stiff. Tubeless Ready.

None, but some may not like that they are not welded seems or eyeleted spoke holes.

I've run these rims for a year now on my single speed fully rigid Singular Swift without needing a tweek. They are pretty light. I have them laced to WTB Laser Disc Lites and butted spokes and they came in at just over 1500g. They have worked so well for me that I've used them on my son's Canfield Bros Nimble 9 build. The Velocity tubeless system works great, with super easy set-up.

Similar Products Used: Salsa Semi, Salsa Delgatos, WTD Speed Disc, Velocity Blunts.
    Brianisbrain   All Mountain Rider [Mar 18, 2012]
    Strength:

Pretty lightweight. They're called blunts and supposedly weigh 420g.

As mentioned a pain to tension. Lightweight means xc bird wheels.

This seems like a decent rim but I had a rough break the other day. I had second thoughts as soon as I finished placing my order for these as they made them narrower (lighter) and seemed a little to xc for my needs. I'm not a shredder by any means and take great care of my gear but totally bent the hell out of the rear doing a rather small jump. To be fair I landed slightly crooked but not nearly enough to warrant the damage. These were indeed a b!tch to tension on initial build and I actually stripped a couple of (alloy) nipples trying to true it out trailside due to this and the fact that I accidentally used alloy nips. The rim bent so much that it would no longer spin thru the frame! I had to reduce tension on the opposing side rather than bring it up to pull true due to nips stripping. Amazingly I was able to ride the rest of the day this way with no trouble, still catching incidental air and railing berms (at fountainhead if you're familiar.) I was totally shocked and even more so after my ride today. I went through and replaced all stripped nipples last nite one at a time and brought everything back to tension and 90% true. The deepest part of the deflection (about 10 spokes) would not pull back. I stripped another alloy nipple in the center and gave up. I took a quick spin with the dog to get the pings out and returned to find the wheel in the exact same spot! So I rode rosaryville including the middle loop, about 10 miles I guess of pumpy xc and not a single problem, again just as true as I had set them the night before. So it's a tough rim with minimal forgiveness for poor jump skills. I've thrown a lot of ridiculous drops and bs at these and overall they held up well. I'm definitely replacing it with a sun mtx33 this week but would keep it if a) weighed under 180 (I'm 210, 6'3") or b) was totally confident and flawless in the air and landing. I will say that i noticed some squirreliness with low psi and 2.25 tires but other than that a solid rim that wasnt quite enough for my riding style and level. 4 chiles for value cause im kinda surprised it rolled again and 2 overall cause xc rims should be able to handle jumps, logs and drops even if they're not perfectly executed. XC is not road biking in the dirt. Oh and I'll be using brass nipples for this next wheel, alloy nipples are worthless!