Velocity Blunt 29 Rim

Blunt 29

Look no further you just found the best 29er rim on the market. You want them wider, stonger, and lighter? Done! Designed with a wider footprint in mind the Blunt will burn through the trails and rip through the slop. For the road, dirt, slush, grass, rocks, or trees, hold on tight this rim is gonna blow your mind!

• Colors: Black, Silver, Celeste, White, Red, Anti-Freeze Green, Popsicle Purple, Yellow, Teak, Orange, Electric Blue, and many more please call for details.
  • Drillings: 32, 36

• User Reviews (3)

pa rider   Cross Country Rider [Dec 16, 2011]
    Strength:

width rim great for traction. lace up easily and durable for hits.

cracks on eyelets after a few truing. seem to attract rocks easily.

this is my first 29er wheelset which I got a great deal for custom build wheel set. paid $300 x9 sram and blunt rims. like how the extra width gave tires more contact to trail. Wheels got alot of abuse this year and over 1000 miles on single track trails (pa slate rocks/ruts/roots/and log cover trails).

Had problem with front wheel spokes so got one year out of rim before building hub up again. Rim didn't ding too much but had some gasses from rocks rolling off them.

As for rear wheel the rim egg on me in 4 spokes. Eyelet was pulling apart with spoke coming up. I believe my rim was getting warped and had the wheel true about 5 times. This started after about 1 year use. I was running a bontrage 29-4 tire on it.

I find wider tires give my wheels a more trashing than 2.1 tires (must be the weight). on my old trek fuel 26 bike when I ran wider tires it seem to trash my wheels more.

Considering the way i ride and abuse on wheels getting a year out of rim is great. I feel if you can get this rim as cheap as my 3rd wheel ($50) it a bargain to build up.

I think the rim shape may lead to some of the problems with the dings I got in the rims real eaily. i had to put bontrager rim tape (tubeless kit plastic rim strip) to get the wheel from giving me flats. The velox tape always moved and found once I put the strip in it solved my problem. Never tried a tubeless kit on the rim, but got 6 months out of the same tube once i fixed the rim strip.

Would say this is a great rim for rider on budget. Meaning if your getting xt wheelsets it not a bad way of going. If you're a racer than you're probably buying those $800 wheelsets. I like this rim over the wtb and salsa rims. Trying a stan flow to see if it last longer on my front wheel, but figure I'm 190 lbs the rear now going to matter what rim I get as long as it strong.

Similar Products Used: mavic 26 rims and wtb 26 rims. This is my 1st 29er wheelset.
    Holmes   Weekend Warrior [Dec 25, 2010]
    Strength:

Cheap, stiff, wide, easy on the eyes

Not tubeless ready

This review is for the 29er rims. Bought these pre-built on XT hubs from my LBS ($185 for the wheelset). These are reasonably light, stiff, neat-O looking rims. Have yet to try a tubeless conversion, but supposedly easy to do w/ Bontrager rims strips / valves.

The extra width of these rims definitely adds a bit of contact area to the tires, a good thing. Hopefully Velocity will come out with a tubeless ready version of these rims at a similar price-point (which would be a no-brainer).

team tortuga   Cross Country Rider [Oct 17, 2008]
    Strength:

very low profile, yet now seem to handle alot of abuse even under my weight 220lbs but read on. not flashy, i like that.

took afew more times than other rims ive used to true. this was my first 29r set though, maybe thats the nature of the beast. for the first 200 miles, seemed like i had to true the spokes after every 25 miles i rode.
    the cheap stickers GOTS-TA-GO! and they did after 2 minutes with a heat gun. also, velocity said they will run tubeless just fine, not in my experience. after the 4th cracked bead i chucked the "stans" and went with tubes.

ive put about 500 miles of single track on since the last time i had to tune them again. running very true now but i still am keeping an eye on them, read in mtb action awhile back about tightening 29r spokes a 1/4 turn more than 26.set them up this way and i think anyone would love them. GREAT VALUE though!

Similar Products Used: only these on a 29.