Velocity Aero Heat Rim

Aero Heat

Aero Heat is a strong, durable lightweight rim suitable for singletrack, city riding, or even loadedTouring. It's available in several diameters and drilling patternsTo meet your custom wheelbuild needs. Machined aluminum sidewalls claimed 440 grams (26" size)

Paul   Weekend Warrior [Jun 27, 2007]
Strength:

These rims have exceeded my expectations, especially at 440grams. I have always bought Mavic rims but was tired of cracks developing around the eyelets especially on the 517s. I am 230lbs and use these for loaded touring and they have remained true. A couple of spokes have loosened up but even then, the rim barely came out of true. I didn't notice the loose spokes until I felt them. Not as a result of rim rubbing against brake.

Don't be concerned about the lack of eyelets. According to Velocity, the rim is thicker at the spoke so eyelets are not needed. It's more of an issue if you are a builder.

None.

Well actually, Velocity does a poor job in the sticker department. They look cheap and are not on straight. Does it matter? Only to the person who is in a shop comparing two rims and buys the other because it's prettier.

Why pay more.

I am done with Mavic.

Similar Products Used: Too many to mention.
Jon   Racer [Mar 06, 2002]
Strength:

fairly light, with a wide profile
smooth seam at the join
strong, strong, strong
lots of colors (if it matters).

wish they had eyelets

The sidewalls on the Sun's were getting thin, and after 5 years, I was ready for something wider. I picked Aeroheats for their strong reviews and price, and am very happy.
I built them onto XTR hubs, 2x front, 3x rear, with Wheelsmith XL14 spokes and alloy nipples. No real weights, but definitely light. No problems with the alloy nips and lack of eyelets, either, though I used plenty of grease. Time will tell.
The brake track could be bigger, a la the Mustangs, but it's wide enough for my Avids. Tires mount easily, and the wider profile lets the tires spread out a bit more, which I like.
These are my race wheels this year, so I'll report back in the fall with a durability update. I trust my building skills, though, so hopefully these will go another 5 years.

Similar Products Used: Sun CRE-16's, Bontrager Mustangs
Christian Uy   Cross Country Rider [Jan 20, 2004]
Strength:

Very strong!!! I'm about 210lbs and for more than 3yrs im still waiting for it to break down

Other than its weight. None!

Perfect for a big guy like me. Its worth spending your hard earned money

Cross Country Rider [Nov 11, 2001]
Strength:

Stayed true. Reasonably priced

Joint cracked.Dinged easily

These came included with my Titus. I would normally stick to Mavic, but I thought these rims were pretty good.They stayed dead true for a year. They're light ,450 grams, but I kept getting weird creaks form the rear and spokes started to go. I looked at the rim and saw the seam on the rim had cracked open.
This was after 1 Year of mixed use. This rim might be OK for light XC use, but anything too heavy and I wouldn't trust it.
Also seemed to cause a lot of pinchflats, possibly due to the narrow width, and the rim seemed fairly soft judging by all the dents in it.

Similar Products Used: mavic x517, 521,321, crossmax
Charlie Devine   Cross Country Rider [Mar 18, 2002]
Strength:

so so strong
no need for eyelets
fly looks

narrow braking surface
seam is bonded not welded

Just look at the cross-section of these rims. Why build a rim with any other profile than this? I plan on buying a lifetime supply of these. Yes, that means one pair. I will build them into a disc-brake wheel set, so the little issue of braking surface width will be NA. Also, It won't rub the collor off. It has been more than three years and my rim is just now a little out of true. I had Nashbar build it up in a 3 cross pattern (wanted radial but one year waranty only covered traditional style) on an XT hub, with brass nipples. By the way, they were 14 guage spokes (I weigh 220#) How long ago was that? Well it definitely was before disc brake hubs. It is sad to think that when I build up a new disc set the old velocity will gather dust.
Five steaming horse flops for value because even at $45 it was well worth it. AT $25 you need to stock up. There are pits where rocks have chipped and gouged the metal but the rim stayed perfectly true.
Five steamers overal 'cause I can't give 'em six.

Similar Products Used: WTB speedmaster
OEM junk
Timsa   racer [May 17, 1998]

Ahhhh beautiful rims. They come in every colour you can imagine. The V profile
makes them look oh so trick and fast. They're lighter than 217 and definitely stronger on lateral hits. My derailleur jammed into the spokes once and ripped one out (the rim has no eyelets) so I give it only 4 chillis.

chris   weekend warrior [May 17, 1998]

I love my aero heats! They are strong light and stay very true. These are pinned but not welded nor are they machined. I use a dial indicator to true mine and they are within .002 (which tends to be at the transition area where the rim is pinned). The braking surface is smallish but there is plenty of room for V-brakes. Besides looking much cooler than anything less than a crossmax. . . FOR LESS! and not everyone has them on the trail so they generate lots of long stares and complements by people who obviously spent more. Nashbar has em, and they seem to be the only one. I have yet to see these in any bike shop. Get on the stick Supergo! 5 chilies

jesse   Cross Country Rider [Feb 25, 2001]
Strength:

STRONG, look cool

anodising wears off, havent decided if thats cool or just dorky.

these rims are STRONG. Admittedly i buckled mine first ride out, but it was on the way HOME for once, AND i could still ride without any probs. (landed sideways on pavement with the back wheel locked and only JUST noticed the bend) i landed hard on a rock with the tyre preassure too low and flat spotted it a little too.I kill wheels, but with these i have to TRY. IF i manage to kill them im trying an aeroheat deep V but i doubt it'll take any more abuse than th AT.

Similar Products Used: weinman
Richago Petranovich   Cross Country Rider [Jan 09, 2001]
Strength:

The looks. No one else seems to have a pair, and the "V" profile sure looks cool, + all the colours. I was a bit concerned about the lack of eyelets initially, and their used condition, but I haven't had to true them in the (over) 2 years I've owned them, built up with 14/15 gauge spokes with a 150 lb rider on a FS

The narrow brake tracks - but I think that having them shorter may lead to a bit more streingth. They could be lighter.

I'm not REALLY hard on them, so I can't say that they'd work for a larger and more agressive rider, though I have taken some pretty good hits on them. So, if you're me, they are the perfect rim.

Similar Products Used: Mavic 221, Mavic 222
Otts   Cross Country Rider [Dec 07, 2000]
Strength:

Strong.
Lightly Machined sidewall.
Just a little wider than most XC rims (makes them stronger)

Bonded not welded joint (I am not sure this is really a weakness. Its never been a problem for me.)
No eyelets (Brass nipples a must).
Brake sufaces a little narrow. It makes brake pad alignment a little more critical.

I built this rim into a front wheel using 15 gauge spokes. I was worried about the strength of a wheel built with 15g spokes, and a single cavity rim. After thrashing this rim for a summer they pass my test for durability. The wheel didn't need truing once. Just a little spoke titening after the first couple weeks of riding (my fault as the builder I guess). I landing some scary jumps... My foot came unlatched from my SPD pedals and I landed hard, weight forward. I barely stayed up right. The wheel took it all without a burble. They are tough no nonsense rims.

I bought mine for $22 (5 chilis) from Nashbar's markdown priced merchandise and that was an awsome deal! The normal price of $45 seems a bit excessive (3 chilis), especially since they don't have eyelets. So I give them only 4 chillis for value.
Overall they deserve all 5 chilis since their durability is the mark of an awsome product. I hate walking my bike... especially when I can ride out so far from civilization.

Similar Products Used: WTB Speedmaster.
Ritchey Rock
Specialized Z21
Trek Matrix Titan Tour (road rims)