Syncros Altrax XLT Rim

• Tabulate this. Three cavities. A twin-rib roll cage design. Custom built by Weinman. Yup. It adds up to 45% more torsional stiffness than any double-cavity rim in the world.
  • And stronger means lighter. Our 435g big'n' beefy is lighter, stronger and faster than any so-called high-performance twin-cavity rim.
  • Hyper-deep sidewalls and textured brake tracks yield deliver the enhanced braking power and increased strength when you’re riding like a bat out of hell.

• User Reviews (20)

STEVE CAIRNS   Cross Country Rider [Jul 09, 2003]
    Strength:

HARDLY EVERY WENT OUT OF TRUE. BUILT PROPERLY BY J.M. RICHARDS.

NONE

GOOD VALUE WHEN BUILT RIGHT.

Similar Products Used: MAVIC
    Andrew O'Neil   [Dec 11, 2001]
    Strength:

Canadian Design (patriotic)
    Three Cavity stiffness and strength
    Tall sidewalls for easier brake setup

They could be a bit sitffer. (I weigh 180)

I Found the wheelset online for only 119.00 US. They spent about 8 months on my beater, which I took on several rides in the mountains, intentionally giving them severe beatings, taking the roughest lines and jumping the occasional stump. I used the beater as a commuter over the winter, as expected, no problems. I true them regularly. I Don't have any complaints to be honest. I have about 2200 offroad km on them now, which is 500k longer than my last wheelset lasted. (ritchey rock 440's)(I am HARD on my components) I am running them on my Blizzard at the moment. They are stiffer than the Mavic x221's that the bike came with and generally perform better. Despite the bad reviews here, I trust these rims and reccomend them. I'll post a follow up at the end of next season.

Similar Products Used: Rithchey rock 440, Mavic 221
    Colle MTB Nom de Plume   Weekend Warrior [Sep 24, 2001]
    Strength:

Nil, Zip, Nadda

They dont last and the manufacutrer does not stand by their products

Well the front rim blew out last weekend. Luckly this time at home after I swapped tyres. Although it caused some bowel loosening by those in the room at the time at least it did not mean a 5 mile walk home like last time.

The rear rim was crap, the front rim also crap. Still waiting for a response from Syncros. The true test of a company is when things go wrong and at this Syncros has failed dismially. Will never buy another Syncro product on principle, and would encourage others to do likewise.

Similar Products Used: Cheap Tawainese, Sun Ryhno lite
    Soren Egeberg   cross-country rider [May 18, 1998]

Living in a flat country without mountains or long descents, I was disapointed to see my rear rim wear through on the brake surface in less than a Years riding!!! But otherwise they have stayed true for the entire year. They are good, strong rims but short lasting. Buy them if you dont mind changing them each year!

KRAZEE man   Weekend Warrior [Dec 03, 2000]
    Strength:

Just an every day normal rim. I was in the local shop one day and I wanted to build a new wheelset. The clerk told me about these rims and they sounded good. After only riding them about one month they started to develop a mean brake studder. whenever I would put my front brake on it would shake like hell! Tried everything to fix them to no avail. Would not recomend these to anyone! They are junk!

Almost everything!

I wish I had never bought these rims, I am currently trying to sell them on my wife's bike! Don't tell anyone!

Similar Products Used: For some hardcore riding try some velocity's or rhyno lites, they may be a bit heavier but they take a thrashing!
    Cool MTB nom de Plume   Weekend Warrior [Oct 20, 2000]
    Strength:

Seem to stay true.

Wear out and fail quicker than the tires mounted on them

Blew the sidewall out of the rear rim on the weekend. Whilst 3 year life may seem good at first glance, it is not when considering I have done 530 km on these things in that time! They did stay 100% true in that short time though.

Syncros web site does mention that rims do wear out like tires and tubes, but I would like my rims to last LONGER than my tire.

And yes, I have had problems getting on to Syncros for support.

Would give them zero chilis if I could.

Similar Products Used: Cheap Tiwanese rims
    Matt   Racer [Feb 24, 2000]
    Strength:

Stay true through all sorts of punishment

Rim sidewalls can explode!!!

I must admit, these rims took a battering for a season of XC racing without going out of shape, BUT, when riding along a nice stretch of sealed road my rear sidewall exploded!!
    Scared the crap out of me and very DANGEROUS!
    I am going to replace the front rim also for the fear of it happening again.

Stu   Cross-Country Rider [Nov 10, 1999]
    Strength:

Price
    (was) Canadian

weak - just didn't stand up

These rims just didn't stand up. I caved three of them before learning, on technical but not gonzo riding. The sidewalls just didn't have enough strength to take any kind of lateral or tangential hits. I guess the price was too good to be true.

Similar Products Used: Mavic
    Sun
    pconover   Cross-Country Rider [Sep 15, 1999]

Message for Eric notcanada@north.comHey Jackhole, next time you want to slag someone why not make it personal and leave a real e-mail address. Did you read the message?! Clearly you did't understand it...The point is I am a patriotic Canadian and would prefer to support a Canadian company and the Canadian economy - especially if it's the local bike industry. This is a flame on Syncros, because they produced a crappy product and are ignoring their responsibilities to me, their customer. My patriotism is not blind, I will only support a company if they support their products and their customers. And by the way, there is no such thing as a big Canadian bike company. Syncros started in a garage a few kilometres from me and they are not much bigger now. But I guess they decided they were too big to bother making quality products and earning customer satisfaction. That attitude is going to loose them reputation, loyalty and customers - fast!

Eric   Cross-Country Rider [Sep 03, 1999]

Let me get this straight! pconover below yells Buy Canadian and then procedes to tell us that Syncros (A big Canadian bikes parts manufacturer) stuff sucks. Am I missing something here???? Duh, can you say Dumbass!!!!