Syncros Altrax XLR Rim

• Tabulate this. Three cavities. A twin-rib roll cage design. Custom built by Weinman. Yup. It adds up to 45% more torsional stiffness than any double-cavity rim in the world.
  • And stronger means lighter. Our 400g superlight XLR is lighter, stronger and faster than any so-called high-performance twin-cavity rim.

• User Reviews (29)

Dirk   Racer [Jul 08, 2003]
    Strength:

light, no weaknesses

My sponsor had an nos pair of syncros rims, he build it up with white brothers titanium hubs. I have used them at 3 XC-races, and had no problems at all. I don't know why so many people have problems with this rims, I don't have any kind of problems even though I weight 75 kg, and I think I´m a powerful raider (I'm a not so bad track sprinter).

Similar Products Used: Campa K2 / XTR ; Mavic Ceramic / XTR
    Nick Griffiths   Weekend Warrior [Oct 24, 2001]
    Strength:

Looked ok in the shop

performance, quality etc

Extreme front wheel judder under braking renders it almost useless. I too thought it was the RS fork which was worn, & replaced it with a new marzocchi. Problem still as bad as ever. Now run the wheel on a fully rigid bike with project 2
    forks. Judder problem persisted. The only way I could improve it was to sand the braking surface smooth with finishing paper under the brake blocks to remove the peaks & troughs. this has helped & made the front wheel just about useable. Do not buy wheels with syncros rims.

Similar Products Used: mavic 217/517/crossride
    Nutty   racer [Nov 09, 1998]

The Syncros Altrax rim... Oooer.. it looked so sexy in the shop.
    All black and nice,.. and it matched my frame!
    Wow! On the bike it looked even better. I was so happy!!
    And it was *so* cool the way it only lasted four friggin months.
    I was surprised :(
    I have *NEVER* seen such a quality RIM from any *QUALITY* company blow apart *so* often.
    It's happened twice now - the rim blowing off the sidewall. It's gotta shit ya.
    The rim does wear evenly when you ride 10kms back up the hill minus a front tyre.

Dave   cross-country rider [Sep 26, 1998]

I have two sets of XLR's one laced 3X on White hubs the other 3X on XT both sets have given extraordinary service. They are light, stay true and have survived pretty aggressive root, rock and mud riding for over a year. I will replace one rear this year with the new off center rear rim. These are good rims - my guess is those that have had major trouble should change their wheel builder. To S. Fung do the revolutions - I have, they are great.

BOB WOLF   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 04, 1999]
    Strength:

LIGHT WEIGHTDURABLE

QUALITY CONTROL?

BOUGHT A PAIR AND LACED THEM TO A SET OF WTB HUBS TO REPLACE A PAIR OF AGING MAVIC 230'S THAT HAD REACHED THE END OF THEIR LIFE SPAN. I HAD TO REPLACE THE FRONT RIM AFTER ABOUT A MONTH OF RIDING. IT DEVELOPED A GASH IN THE SIDE WALL. THIS HAPPEN WHILE I WAS STATIONED IN GUANTANAMO BAY , CUBA. THE TRAILS THERE ARE VERY ROCKY AND THE GASH OCCURED DURING A FAST DOWN HILL PORTION. SYCNCROS WAS QUICK TO SEND ME A NEW ONE. THEY SAID THEY HAD SOME QUALITY CONTROL PROBLEMS. I HAVEN'T HAD A PROBLEM SINCE AND HAVE SEVERAL THOUSAND MILES ON THEM. MY COMPUTER JUST CLICKED 8000. 5 STARS FOR THE ONES I GOT AND 4 STARS FOR THE QUALITY CONTROL PROBLEM.

Similar Products Used: MAVICRITCHY
    Doug Payauys   Weekend Warrior [Apr 15, 2000]
    Strength:

Lightweight.

Looks cool.

Strength - Rim split at the seam while inflating. Even after working in a bike shop for 6 years, I've never seen anything like it.

True - Hard to keep this rim straight.

Braking surface - Very rough, eats pads and holds brake pad material on the rim. Flecks of aluminum imbed into the brake pads and score the rim.

I can't believe after reading all the rim failure reviews on this site that Syncros has not issued a recall. It is quite clear to me that Syncros does not stand behind their products and certainly doesn't spend much time with engineering / R&D if this is the best they can produce.

DON'T BUY THIS RIM. I attempted to contact Syncros about the problem buy they did not respond to my inquiry about a replacement or my offer to send them the rim to look at. Sooner or later, someone is going to get seriously injured as a result of this inferior product.

HERE'S THE PROOF: http://www.mindspring.com/~ydouglas/syncros/

Similar Products Used: Sun CR-18
    Mavic (many types)
    MAT MULLEN   Cross Country Rider [Mar 15, 2000]
    Strength:

QUITE LIGHT & RESONABLY PRICED

VERY BENDABLE

THIS RIM WAS A DIRECT REPLACEMENT FOR MY MAVIC 217 WHICH SPLIT COS IT WORE OUT. IT WAS REBUILT ONTO THE ORIGINAL 97 PARRALAX SHIMANO XT HUB. IT HAS GONE OUT OF TRUE A FEW TIMES MORE THAN THE MAVIC 217. BUT AFTER READING SOME OF THE REVIEW POSTED I CAN ONLY CONCLUDE THAT THIS RIM IS CACK (THATS BRITISH FOR RUBBISH). THIS IS THE ONLY RIM THAT I HAVE MANAGED TO DENT NOT ONCE, TWICE BUT I MUST BE IN DOUBLE FIGURES. OK, I COULD BEND IT BACK BUT THATS NOT THE POINT. TO BE FAIR IT HAS WORN OK BUT I HAVE ONLY PUT ABOUT 600+ MILES ON IT. SO I WOULDNT BUY ANOTHER, BACK TO MAVIC I SUPPOSE.

Similar Products Used: MAVIC 217
    Andrew   Cross-Country Rider [Nov 24, 1999]
    Strength:

These rims look great on paper

I have the rim vibration problem described by others, I tried different types of brakes, and replaced the bushings in my forks before realizing that the problem was in the rims the whole time. The variation in rim width was subtle enough to go undetected while building, but it really shakes the front end of the bike when braking moderately, or on loose descents.

The vibrations when braking are an unacceptable manufacturing defect, but if they fix that problem, its been true, and stong enough for me (135lbs).

Similar Products Used: I liked my MAVIC 217 on the rear, and I had a BCX 1 up front, both were great for the light rider that I am (217 may have even been overkill)
    Steve Boyd   Cross-Country Rider [Oct 13, 1999]
    Strength:

lace up nice
    weight(if it matters}

too weak for aggressive or larger riders

I should have known better than to try to build a light set of wheels for myself since I weigh 200+ lbs after a toenail clipping.I destroted the rear rim in 3 rides.If you want a second set of wheels to put slicks on for road spinning than these work nice.Just don't take them past the rubarb patch.2 slightly used , smoldering tampons.