Sun-Ringle Singletrack Disc Rim

Singletrack Disc

Sun Rims SingleTrack Rims w/Shimano Deore Disc Hubs Wheelset. Bombproof double wall 25.5mm 6061 alloy rims. HandBuilt with Stainless Steel spokes. Shimano Deore 525 Black Disc hubs. Presta Only.

flashpoint   All Mountain Rider [Mar 02, 2012]
Strength:

Strong and tough. It can take big drops, huge jumps and anything in between

A tad heavy but if you're using it for DH or Freeride, who cares.

I have been using the SingleTrack rims since 2007 on my downhill rig. The wheels have been to the toughest trails in Garbanzo, A-Line, B-Line, Crank it up, you name it, it has rolled in there in Whistler Bike Park and the trails in North Shore in Vancouver. I have crashed countless times at trails in North Shore and the rims had been whacked, banged up, scratch and everything in between (if you have ridden the North Shore trails, you know what I mean) and it remained straight and true. One of the toughest rims ever and it does not cost an arm and a leg.

Similar Products Used: DT Swiss, Mavic
lee willig   Downhiller [May 14, 2011]
Strength:

strong, reliable, wide enough for big tires

tubeless tires are difficult to install and remove

these are awesome rims, I have used them for XC, AM, DJ, and light FR for about 2 years and they are still going strong. I would recommend them to anyone for any type of riding.

Similar Products Used: WTB dual duty
The Black Sheep   Weekend Warrior [Apr 01, 2011]
Strength:

Very Strong

still looking for one

I think these rims are fantastic, never had a problem with them until now, had the bike since 05, they come stock on the bike, have never had to tighten spokes, true, despite front wheel casing couple 20+ footer jumps, nose diving rocks etc. The only problem now is truing my wheel as last time I rode, I went off a drop missed the burm smacked it into a sharp rock then into the other side of the track, still think still true-able just need to get someone better then me to work on it. The bike/Rims came out better then I did, and had to spend time in a sling, with a broken collar bone. Only found this review whilst searching prices for a replacement of the same one, if it can't be trued.

Overall I think these rims are great, but as long as they are built correctly, any rim is crap if its built badly.

Similar Products Used: Ditch Witch?
audiologies   Weekend Warrior [Jan 07, 2011]
Strength:

Reliable.

None, maybe a touch heavier than necessary. The stickers are kinda lame too.

I am posting this review mainly because of all the outrage down below. First of all, some of the reviews make no sense. One guy posted a review in April 2010 and said he's only ridden the wheels for 3 weeks and they came stock on the same bike as mine, 2005 bighit. ? Next we have people saying the wheels don't stay true and spokes come loose, etc. That's just not the case if the wheel is built well. I've used these wheels and no other for five years, dropping stairs, rocks, jumping, crashing, and NEVER had to true or even tighten a spoke. Next we have some dude saying the wheel is the wrong size and he can't get a WTB (not WYB, don't trust people that don't proof read their posts) Velociraptor on there. Guess what? I am running that tire right now! And you guessed it, no problem getting it on, I don't even use tire levers! Maybe I was born with hands of steel , but I doubt it. The only reason I even began reading these reviews is because I have been considering another set for a new bike.

The bottom line? Every wheel has bad reviews

Similar Products Used: None
kphmeikle@optonline.net   Cross Country Rider [Oct 19, 2010]
Strength:

strong built up on hope hubs dt spokes brass nipples .i ride a veriety of terrain from knarrlly rock gardens to buff singletrack all over the country and after enitial tensioning have not had to touch them

none so far

have had 0 issues with these rims over 3 yrs of riding approx 1000 mls a yr .

Similar Products Used: sun rhino lites stans flow mavic 321 & 717
bdm   Weekend Warrior [Oct 19, 2010]
Strength:

Very little from what I can tell.....

They are basically s*it, one ride and the back wheel is buckled to the point where the wheel won't spin freely through the frame anymore, and it wasn't even a hard or long ride. These are a joke! Further, the hubs (mine came with bog standard shimano on the rear, unbranded on the front, so both obviously very poor) are terrible, don't spin properly and the rear one has play in it already, again after ONE ride! I know this isn't the place to review the hubs, but if you buy the wheels built, they'll come with these, so its worth mentioning....

Crap. Heavy and very weak, very unreliable. I wouldn't trust these at all if any trail was more than an hours walk from a bike shop. I once heard a wise man say, with regard to mountain bike wheels, "Strong, cheap, light. Pick any two." This has always seemed true to me, but in the case of these wheels, it seems the only one you can pick is cheap. Highly not recommended.

Similar Products Used: Halo sas (THE best, buy these, its worth the extra), mavic etc
killerb   Cross Country Rider [Oct 08, 2010]
Strength:

Still true

perhaps weight (mainly cross country use)

Universal Cycles Build with Chris King hubs, dt spokes, Kenda Nevegal 2.35 dual compound tires. Excellent build that has never let me down. Handled everything around Mt. Hood, Bend OR, and some downhill at Silver MT. Idaho. If you don't have a pro build or a solid wrench looking over your wheelset, your voice lacks credibility.

Similar Products Used: Alex DP20(stock), Mavic, WTB laser disk
daviduffy   Downhiller [Aug 18, 2010]
Strength:

They still roll even if they're flat-spotted and bent...?

They're weak. I'm not the nicest person in the world to my rims, but for 36 spoke (stock on '05 Big Hit FSR), I thought they should have held up a lot better. Both front and rear are flat-spotted and gouged after about 3 weeks of abuse.

I wouldn't recommend these to anyone. For DH, they're too weak, and for XC they're too heavy. Sun managed to make a rim that really doesn't work well in any application.

Similar Products Used: WTB SpeedDisc, Halo Freedom
Bradfreeride   Downhiller [Jul 06, 2010]
Strength:

Light
Cheap
Got a free replacement one from Specalized
Doesn't pinch flat but flat spots

Weak, very weak
Had to constantly check spoke tension
Flat spots very easy
Cracks and bends easily.

I do ride very hard urban downhill/freeride but I would expect more from a freereide/downhill rim. I went through two of them on the rear. One cracked almost all the way through, the bike shop I went to said i was very very lucky to have it not break on me. My second rim lasted a while but I had to constantly check spoke tension and before I replaced the rim it made the 2.3 tire rub on both sides of my frame. It's a good rim for cross country or a front rim if you land on the rear rim most of the time.

Similar Products Used: Mavic ex 823 rear and 729 front.
ssanderson1   Cross Country Rider [Jun 17, 2010]
Strength:

Uhhhhh, it's pretty strong?

Heavy and ugly.

This rim lasted me over a year. Other than being heavy and ugly, it's been pretty good! I've ridden it pretty hard and had to do only minor truing....until today. I was going about 25mph downhill around a blind corner. Couldn't turn fast enough to make the bridge...jumped the river instead. Cleared the river, but met a pretty sharp and huge rock on the other size. I woke up to my wheel wobbling in front of my face. Believe it or not, the rim didn't taco! But the rock seriously almost cut through the rim. Good rim, heavy and ugly, but strong. Bottom line, when you crash...crash with a better looking rim. Ha.