Sun-Ringle S.O.S. Rim

• Hole Counts: 32.36

[Jun 12, 2012]
dbabuser
Downhiller

Strength:

When properly built, these make for a pretty bulletproof trail bike rim, and do tubeless well. Plus they're cheap and build up easily.

Compared to some newer rims (like Stans), they're a little porky. More color options would be nice.

First off, I'm not a little guy (6'2", 185lbs) and I'm not easy on equipment. I build my own wheels and maintain my own equipment. The wheelbuilder is an integral part of making a strong wheel. Machine built wheels, no matter the brand of components used, will need more initial truing and tensioning, or they'll die.

My SOS rims have been light downhilling (Sol Vista, Snowmass, Crested Butte, Winterpark), raced in super d's and enduros, dirt jumped and abused on whatever rocks I can find on the local trails (Front range CO = lots of rocks). I laced mine up to a set of Hope Pro 2 hubs, and set them up ghetto tubeless. The rear rim has a couple small dings in the sidewall, but they're still round and true, and I've been rocking them since 2008. The only reason I'd think to replace them would be to go lighter, but then I'll be expecting to lose some durability. And if you shop around, you can find good deals on these. Nothing from Mavic comes close to the price.

Bottom line - great all around rim. Get these for your trail or all mountain bike if you need your bike to last a long time and don't have lots of money to spend. But get them built by someone reputable. And don't blame the rim if they don't hold up.

Sun Singletrack, Mavic 819, WTB Laserdisc Trail

[Apr 18, 2011]
zgjp82

Strength:

Light, Strong, Fast, and it looks good

None found

This is an amazing rim for the price that I paid. In the world of cross country it is heavy but to most others it is a light wheel. I would not recommend this wheel for anything other than aggressive cross country. Also as always you should be sure it is set up correctly and to your weight; when I received this rim it was way way off on tension and dish. I feel that this is where most people are going wrong with this wheel and why they are having bad experiences. I am a heavy rider at 220lbs so I require a rim that can take the beating and this rim is the one for me. I have it mated to XT hubs and some DT swiss spokes.

Yes I have used a wheel before

[Feb 22, 2011]
tcook7
Downhiller

Strength:

They're super light

The bend and come out of true way to easily

I dont like em.

[Nov 08, 2010]
ericz

Strength:

They look cool, and have excellent bead retention on my Hutchinson Spiders.

Why are they so weak? I'd think a rim this wide and heavy would not require so many visits to the truing stand.

I am severely disappointed in these rims. Mounted to Deore hubs by 3 crossed DT 14ga spokes I expected them to handle more abuse. I've bent my fair share of wheels, but the SOS is the only wheel I've ever owned that successfully formed a "full taco".

I don't think the weight penalty is worth the implied durability.

Many different Mavic, WTB, etc.

[May 15, 2010]
Uly

Strength:

Looks cool. Will fit 2.5 tires.

I need to true them every so often. Spokes will snap if I ride them hard (from impact of landing).

Ok wheel to start out with that comes stock on the bike. Once you have gained confidence in your bike, get to know it a little better and start riding it harder you might think about getting something stronger.

[Apr 14, 2010]
P.E.Rudy

Strength:

After more than 6 months still haven't needed to true them. Disc Jockey hubs spin forever and a day.

Dudes here who have bashed them! Also, some tires don't want to seat easily - Nevegals don't, but High Rollers are easy to seat - go figure.

Sounds like this particular rim is stuck in between categories. It certainly sounds like the FR/DH guys hate it and the XC guys certainly don't like it's mass.

I ride All Mountain type stuff with lots of PA rocks and log overs and really technical stuff both going uphill and down. I'm not in a hurry to get to the top, but I do want to do it clean and a flexy rim won't help. These rims don't flex for me when I'm riding the front wheel over a log. I don't hit any gaps, but I do put the bike in the air plenty, just closer to the ground. Lots of times I hit rear wheel first and on top of babyheads. Usually nothing more than a couple of feet high and the rear stays true. In fact, I've had this wheelset since Aug.'09 and I haven't had to true them yet.

The Disc Jockey hubs are great compared to the XT's. When I flip the bike to put in air my daughter spins the tires and they just keep going like the energizer bunny. The front hub is whisper quiet. I love the sound of the rear hub. I compare it to the sound of a bee that buzzes past your ear. Once you hear it, it makes you get out of the way fast or else you'll get stung:) The acceleration is also way better than the XT's and I haven't had to service the freehub because of gunk yet either. My XT's needed a service like every month or so from just the littlest amount of grime.

If I get tired of the heft I'll go tubless with Stan's. So far, these SOS rims and DJ hubs are getting the job done.

Mavic 223's w/XT hubs

[Feb 12, 2010]
southy4

Strength:

There so week that are easy to straighten.

They are just week

Theses wheels have been on my for about 2 years since new. I can't count how many times I've had them to the shop to be trued and have spokes replaced, both front and back. I only a XC trail rider. I don't race, freeride or downhill and I weight 90kg, not light but not overly heavy. I ride about once a week doing between 40-60km rides. The only good thing is I have managed to get 2 years use out of them but thats only because I sometime just put up with them being wobbly and kept getting the shop to fix them. They have finally told me its time for new rims as these are unable to be trued. I would not recommend these rims but if they come on your bike like mine did ride them till they die then upgrade as I'm about to do. As for the LX hubs they come with, they are still fine.

Alex ACE 18

[May 23, 2007]
mario

Strength:

nice stickers

the rim is crap!! for XC maybe not but for anything else...
front wheel broke and i ended beating up my shoulder... no rides for at least a month...

the rims came out of true after almost every ride or bigger jump, since day one. they are probably good xc rims, but for me, weighting around 100 kilos, they are not the solution for freeride/dh...
plus, my friend was sitting on front wheel in the van during the last lift..

sun mammoth, sun rhyno, kinlin mx8

[Mar 28, 2007]
James

Strength:

Great rim for the price.

Isn't designed for DH or free ride.

This is a great stock rim. I am very pleased about how long mine have stayed true. I don't really know why the other guy had such a hard time with his. May bee the wheel set was assembled wrong or something. Sometimes if the spoke tension is not even throughout the rim can be weakened. If he was trying to true the rim and didn't know what he was doing that could be the reason for failure. I'm not trying to bash on the dude, just offering some possible explanation.

Other crap.

[Mar 25, 2007]
Chris

Strength:

Good for a cheap rim.

The are still true after many urban rides and nights at the track and I'm not too kind on wheels. I did however replace the wheelset because the stock FORMULA HUBSare junk! No engagement. But the rim was great for all mountain type use and that's what it's listed for. Not Urban, Freeride, Or Downhill.
If you use it for it's intended use it should hold up fine!

Sun single track