Sun-Ringle Rims Sub IV Rim

Rims Sub IV

Sun Rims Sub IV

taxonomy   Weekend Warrior [Feb 11, 2011]
Strength:

Light weight, bombproof

hard to change tires. Tight fit for tires.

I've had these rims on many bikes over the years and I've never had to true them much, they are quite light and they have always been reliable.

I've run them on hardtails and full suspension bikes. I change frames every couple of years, but I keep components forever.

Sun makes good quality rims, right here in America, and these are as good as any rim you can buy.

I cannot say much about he initial braking surface on these rims as I must've had them for over 10 years now. They break as good as any rim I have now.

If you can find these rims now, they usually go for cheap. Buy them.

Similar Products Used: many, many other rims.
Eric   [May 03, 2007]
Strength:

Weight and price.

A little flimsy. Wish they were wider so I could get a bigger footprint.

I hand built these wheels with XT disc hubs and DT 2.0/1.5/2.0 spokes with alloy nipples. I've never weighed the wheelset, but it should be pretty lite. I have over 1500 miles on these hoops and they are still very straight. I weigh close to 200# and ride XC. About half the time i am riding hard and occasionally hitting small airs on the trail. These hoops are still quite true. I do throw them on the truer every few hundred miles or after trying to impress my lady with a little style.

Similar Products Used: Too many to list, but nothing special. I've been riding mtb's for 22 years.
joseph aagaard   Cross Country Rider [Feb 07, 2002]
Strength:

Lighter than most wheelsets regardless of price. (measured with my trusty two hand scale)

hmm the seem, or weld whatever it is, is not smoothe. If the wheel happens to be in the right spot when I brake I get brick wall like stoping power for an instant...

I must be a really smoothe rider because I've ridden on these alot and have only trued them twice. I weigh 180 and could care less what I run over on the trail. (as well as curbs on the road) Well if you can get them for $120 or bellow for the set I would jump on them. They're pretty light and hold up well. (lx hubs)

Similar Products Used: Something really heavy my friend lent me...
Chris   Cross Country Rider [Jan 18, 2002]
Strength:

Light and very durable

None.

A great set of rims. Very light. I have raced eight 50km X-country races, one 24hr endurance (four person team), and over 240hrs of road work (with slicks) and 96hrs of weekend free-rides on these rims. I have trued them eight times in the last two years. Usually whenever I notice the tension in the spokes not being 100% - but never a case of a wobble in the rim.

The local mechanic is really good at truing. When he's finished with the wheels, they hum! Tight as a fiddle.

Even though I ride a F/S bike, I still practice finesse in the trail (ie. choose best line, rarely let the bike simply hammer over fallen trees, etc). I believe this contributes a lot to the longevity of the rims.

I have complete faith in my wheels.
Best rims I have ever owned.

John   Cross Country Rider [Nov 15, 2001]
Strength:

Extremely light, sturdy (so far)

Limited uses. A little slippery when braking in the wet stuff.

I built this guy up to replace an aging stock front wheel on my FSR. It cut a lot of weight where I needed it, without losing too much stiffness. I wouldn't trust this rim as a rear wheel, but up front on a suspension bike seems reasonable. Haven't trued for 600 miles past break-in.

Similar Products Used: Low end mavics.
Alacritter   Weekend Warrior [May 25, 2001]
Strength:

the price and the weight are light. I've never heard of a Sun rim developing cracks. They're also a little bit wider than some other XC rims I've used in the past, which might be good for running wide tires.

These boogers are soft! They attract dings and flatspots like no other rim I've used

When I brought the spokes up to tension (airbomb gave me a great deal on the wheels, but they were unevenly built, as if the builder forgot to finish the build), I could vaguely see waves in the brake track. (Clue #1 that these rims are soft.) The tension is the same that I've always used to build wheels. I guess a little bit of waviness is better than getting cracks, though.

The joint isn't too smooth. Being that they're soft rims, a few trips through mud seem to have smoothed out the joint somewhat. The joint quickly becomes a moot point when you start acquiring some real brake track damage...

It doesn't take much to put a nasty ding in the sidewalls (even before you wear through the brake track), or to flatspot these rims. They're soft enough that I have bent most of the dings back into shape, but the sidewall still flares out at the inside of some dings (weird, never had another rim with quite that tendency). If you get a snakebite flat on these rims, you can pretty well bet your arse that you have also done some damage to the rims. You get no nice suprises with this rim. You don't get a hidden bargain here.

Mine have always been laterally true (that's got little to do with the quality of the rim and everything to do with the quality of the build), but they're in sad shape. I keep using them because I'm cheap, and the tire hasn't blown out the sidewall yet.

I was hoping to get a rim equivalent to a 517 with less attention paid to the finishing and joining, but that is certainly not the case in reality. Compared to every other rim I've used, the sidewalls are too soft. Even though they were extra cheap, I wish I'd sprung for something higher up the food chain. I'm giving them 2 chilis overall for being cheap like me, heh

Similar Products Used: Mavic 517, 138, 231, 230
Bonty Mustang
Trek Matrix
Sun CR17A and some non-aero roadie rims (forgot which model) from same vintage
Sun AT18
Some 430g Arayas
George Mason   Weekend Warrior [Apr 02, 2001]
Strength:

Holding up to the punishment that i give them

haven't found any yet

I read the other reviews and noticed that many of the other reviews complained about the stregnth of the rims. I got mine with the XT disc brake, so maybe thats the difference but I think that it is more the machanic that put the brake and rim on the bike. Before puting it on the bike he loosened of all the spokes and retensioned them, then he had me come back a week later and he retensioned the spokes again. I weigh 180 lbs lean as close to freeride as my bike will let me and have had zero problems with rim.

I sugest that if you get these rims that you do the same thing.

Similar Products Used: Mavic 138, Zac 19, Ritchie Rock Comp and OCR comp
Javier Aceves   Cross Country Rider [Feb 25, 2001]
Strength:

light

Very weak, after two months i had to replace the rear. After less then a year both are bent beyond repair.

If you enjoy rocky downhills stay away from these rims.

Similar Products Used: ?
EDDIE PETERSON   Racer [Feb 22, 2001]
Strength:

none they are not good at all i very much dislike these rims these rims they come out of tru and even if you did tru them and get everthing right they still mess up casue they are very weak the machine that built these should be destroyed

very weak one jump=out of true and no comming back they warp easily espically the rear one bend easy my friend has a pair and the seam is comming apart

DO NOT BUY THEM!!!!! you will never get a wheelset as bad as these but thats coming from me which is a 180lbs tall rider (hardtail) very hard on bike parts i ride all the time and do everything on that bike and that means the rims do to but i would not recommend these rims to anyone unless you weigh about 100lbs and you have traning wheels they might not bend then but i dont know

Similar Products Used: mavic 221=are not very good bontrager=pretty good(stock wheels) i recommend the d521 by mavic thats the pair im getting next they are awesome over any rim in my opinon and only 10 bucks more per rim
Rod Munch   Cross Country Rider [Aug 31, 2000]
Strength:

Light, cheap, pretty strong

pinned, not welded seams, slippery brake track

Wheels came stock on my Razorback. I ride mostly in rocky Annadel State Park, and go through a pair of rims a year on average. The Sun Sub-IV's are holding up well so far, but the "ABT" (Advanced Brake Track) is really an "Average Brake Track." Almost smooth, with little friction to aid braking. I like the machined Mavics better. But these are light and cheap. 2 out of 3 ain't bad.