Sun-Ringle rims rhyno Rim

sun rims rhyno

[Mar 25, 2009]
volvo_manny

Strength:

Strength
Price
Can use rim brakes (not too sure if its an advantage though)

Weight @ 770grams they are heavy for XC

Ive had 2 sets of these. I have built with cheap RST/Formula hubs with no name spokes (i got them at a good price) and they sucked they needed continuous retruing.. I bought another set of the rims and laced them to Dice Hoodoo hubs with DT wiss spokes and haven't had any issues in 3 years of having them. (I weigh 240Lbs)

Strong Rim when built correctly. Ridden 4 cross, DH and FR on these rims. Strong as anything when built with quality spokes.(DT Swiss/Spiam) by a real wheel builder.

NOTE: Ryhno's are different to Ryhno's LITE/ LITE XL (welds, eyelets etc.) so half of the reviews above are wrong.

Dice SMO, ZAC 19, Sun Mammoths, Mavic XM117 Disc

[Jun 22, 2003]
Jeff Carey
Downhiller

Strength:

very strong rims, feel very beefy and secure. abilty to take probably 8 to flat

to wide for my bike

this is agreat wheel as I have done 8 stairs, dirt jumps cliffs, anything. It hasn't bent much at all. I have done like 6 to flat to. way better than the wheels that came with the bike that I really bent.

sun singletrack

[Jun 25, 2007]
Robert McGregor

Strength:

- Super cheap price
- Rim brake useable
- Perfect beginner rim
- Light weight

- Not sutible for trials riding, not even close
- cheap construction

These rims are great for begginers. If your too timid to hit the big jumps then you wont bend them. If you do you get to learn how to true a wheel!
As far as trials are concerned, just dont bother. Back hoping and a some 4 and 5 foot drops onto concreat have ravaged mine. I sould be fair though and say that I have the 32 spoke model. Perhaps the 34 spokes are better?
In my experience having to true my wheels after every time I go out is unacceptible. The back of my mind thoughs of damaging them while riding (perticularly onto concrete ledges) take away from the joy of trials. That said if your young, light and you want to learn as much as possable about bike mantinence. Or if your just cheap like me I say go fo it!

Azonic outlaw, mavic crossride, alixrims DH24

[Mar 02, 2004]
Jeff

Strength:

NOTHING AT ALL, maybe the fact that they come in a circlish shape... but trust me that wont last at all.

EVERYTHING!!! the fact that they are made blows me away. The fact you find these on bikes like stinkys, who need better rims if you are using the bike properly. I did not do any drops to flat, the rim bends on me and flat spots. Its about to taco! Sun rims suck, the part where the rim comes together is sloppy not even together all the way.

do yourself a favor today... Do not buy this rim
If you are maybe do actual mountain riding and just doing light trails, maybe. expect a short life on this rim. Even just after a 30 day the rim breaks on me. I knew this would happen eventually. Screw mavic for being cheap and not making enough 321 rims taht were suppose to come on the bike.

If you buy this rim, return immeaditly. This is not just some joke like most of the posts on here where guys try to be all cool saying they break products. I just got back from riding and after manualing down a set of stairs the rim bends on me.
The price may look good on jenson or price point for this item, pay the extra 20 or something for an atom lab or something else, dh specific or free ride specific. Just save yourself from not being able to ride.
Luckily i was gonna get a new rim before summer and now i have an excuse to get one.
Just remember do not buy this rim... for the love of god do not buy this rim.
For this crappy item i am giving it 1's across the board. IF there were negatives even zeros trust me id be on those like white on rice. I hate these rims, sun made a horrible rim, mavic is lazy, dont buy these rims they suck. They are not worth the money, your better off on a xc rim probably these suck. Dont listen to anyone about these unless the agree with me cuz these rims when abused do suck. I did only drops with a tranny and everything these suck. my ditch witch on my p.2 are still up and running and i use to do 14 stairs to flat almost daily. Dont buy these!!!!
1 chili

never have found a rim this sh*tty before, my huffy wheels were better!

[Feb 20, 2006]
Mike Roberts

Strength:

Man, I'm comming in at about 215 lbs, and I was riding a hardtail. These rims went through some serous abuse, smashed them over logs, rocks you name it and nothing would effect them. They are bomb-proof.

N/A

When the rims on my new bike go, I waste no time in buying a pair. Looking for a great rim, rynolite are the ones for you.

Mavic

[Jan 19, 2006]
Justin

Strength:

great strength, good looks

weighs more than standard xc rims

These rims are matched with xt hubs and they have the most strenght and rolling resistence of any rims I've tried. It has been about several months since I bought them and they have taken abuse. They are still true and still rolling.

bontrager select, wtb dual duty

[Apr 23, 2003]
RICARDO ORTEGON

Strength:

STRONG, NICE LOOK, STABLES

DESPITE OF THE WIDTH, THEY PUT OFF CENTER TO EASY

I'M REALY DISSAPOINTED 'CAUSE WHEN I BOUTH THEM, I THOUGT I COULD HIT THE WORLD WITH THEM BUT, UNFORTUNLY, THEY AREN'T.
LAST WEEK I COUCHT A HOLEIN THE PAVEMMENT AND THE REAR RIMS GET A FLAT BUMP. THE MACHANIC TRIED EVERTYTHING POSSIBLE BUT IT'S STILL THERE.

RIGIDA'S

[Apr 27, 2001]
Crazy Bit#$

Strength:

-EVEN STRONGER THAN A RHYNO LITE!!!

-Heavier than a Rhyno Lite..
-Braking surface not for V's(this rim is pretty much disk-specific)
-Not made anymore--been replaced by the R. Lite and Mammoth

I built up these wheels for my buddy.They are laced 4x to Hope Bulb disk hubs w/Hope O2 disks.

THESE RIMS ARE BOMBPROOF!!They have survived insane abuse(under 2 clydesdale freeriders)without truing and with the added stress of mounted disk brakes.They are freakin' unreal!

Cons?The rim is really disc-specific(one look at the sidewalls will tell you that)and the rim is built heavier(yet stronger)than a Rhyno Lite--that's the only disadvantages I can think of.

If you like to beat your bike like a red-headed stepchild and can find these(now rare)rims,go get a pair.They're GREAT!

5 CHILIES!!

Rhyno Lite(best rim EVER),Mavic 221(too flimsy outside of XC use)

[Apr 23, 2000]
will
Downhiller

Strength:

very tough rim if used w/ the right spokes, really hard to bend, easy to true if it become a little bent.

if u ride like a nut and hit anything that is in the way these arent theh rims for u

these rims are very durable for the average rider, but for the insane types you should opt for the bit more expensive rhyno 1.75 at around $60 a hoop

[Feb 18, 2000]
Neale
Downhiller

Strength:

This rim looks great out of the rap and continues to keep its shine afer 6 months of use. This rim is incredibally rigid and is very well suited for 3.0/2.7 inch tires, it makes them preform like they should

"side walls" (this is a disc specific rim) get scratched on rocks and gouge, even though the powder coat is tough

Awsome rim, but go for the heavier gague spokes, it you are buying this rim, weight is obviously noy an issue, but streanght is.

rhinolight/ mamoth