Sun-Ringle Equalizer 29 Rim

• Hole Count: 32

[Jun 17, 2011]
Popeye
Downhiller

Strength:

Still hanging together even though they are dented to hell...

Weak.

These rims dent extremely easily but I dont flat out on them ever and I just keep bending the dents out.

OVERALL
[Jul 17, 2010]
el capitan

Strength:

relatively light considering their width, stay true

the valvestem-hole does not accept 8,5 mm-valves, if you want to call this a weakness

So far the rims have not let me down. Only work I had was the poor building quality of CRC - but what do you expect if the entire wheelset is EUR 284,-? The first 5-10 rides I had to retension spokes, until the nipples had bedded in. Since then no worries at all.

I take them from XC to rocky and rooty single trails. Jumps are infrequent, so my technique is poor ;-( Tires are Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.4 with 130 g-tubes. No flats up to now at 2.2 bar for a 80 kg rider.

For me these rims pose a healthy compromise between weight, price and durability. If I were a hefty freerider, I´d stick to my old welded SingleTrack and lace them to better hubs. If I´d only go for XC, I´d probably take the Equalizer23 and save some noticeable weight.

Only thing I don´t really understand is why the widest part of the rim is not on the very outside next to the tyre - if the shape would be a little bit different, the bead-width could easily rise from 21,2 mm to nearly 23. Resulting in a wider rim you could use to ride at lower tyre-pressure. Therefor only 4 out of 5 chilis overall.