Sun-Ringle Equalizer 23 Rim

Sun-Ringle Equalizer 23 Rim

Sun Ringle EQ23 Equalizer Rims are strong and sturdy rims that are ideal for anyone who is looking to build a XC wheelset that will only be disc brake compatible.

[Jun 26, 2012]
angeldust

Strength:

light
strong

a little narrow

This review is for a Sun EQ23 29er
I used this rim for about 100 km at the you yangs and fyansford in Australia. Also used for riding in the city, riding around jumping kerbs and popping wheelies.
The rim is mated to a tubed motoraptor 2.1, dt swiss spokes and deore xt hub, 32 spokes, on a full rigid.
The rim was my first build. It was easy enough to set up, easy to put the tyre on. This rim will only take a presta valve, no schraeder (unless you decide to drill it I guess).
The rim was pretty strong. Being on a full rigid, I can feel how hard it hits rocks, bumps and other trail obstacles. I crashed a couple of times too, the wheel is not out of true. Compared to the one it is replacing (a flexible alexrim dm18), it is miles above (that one tacoed on the first ride and it felt real flexible).
This rim is light enough, does not have too much flex (3 cross lacing pattern) and in general it feels like an honest, strong, very good choice. Not sure how heavy it is, but I guess there is data on that.
Overall, for value it gets 5 flamin' chillies as I bought it online heavily discounted. I have only used another one 29er wheel, so can't really give 5 chillies for overall, but I am very happy with it so far.
Should it dissapoint in the future, I will update (if still alive, as I am using it on the front).

Alexrim dm18, 36 spokes on a Novatec hub. Tacoed at the first crash, terrible value!!

OVERALL
[Nov 29, 2009]
One Pivot

Strength:

very light at 410 grams, plenty strong, builds up well. i run this out back, its stiff and durable. keep in mind when reviewing wheels that the build GREATLY determines durability and how long it stays in true. when build up properly, this rim is excellent, and cheap. i run this out back and a 719 up front and both hold up equally well under a heavy rider who beats rims pretty well.

i suppose it could be wider, but thats what the EQ27 is for.

Its a really great rim for the price, and still a quality piece in the bigger picture.

WTB speedisc xc (terrible), alex, mavic 719s, azonics