Sun-Ringle DS2-XC Rim

Sun-Ringle DS2-XC Rim

• Hole Counts: 32

[Apr 06, 2013]
Todd

Strength:

Great rims light and sturdy they take a beating!!!!!

None!!!

Get them if you can they are perfect for XC

[Nov 24, 2008]
jobrienau

Strength:

There are none, they might be cheap but there are dozens of other rims cheaper and either lighter or stronger or both.

This rim has no structural strength at all. Also the moulding has had the eyelet holes stamped after manufacture and however they have done this it causes structural fractures at every hole. The rim will start to split in half at every juncture. The join is not welded and if a rim starts to fail the joint will fly apart and the rim fails catastrophically. (I found this out the hard way)

I can't believe all these other reviews. I have come across several riders with the exact same bike as mine and all had had complete wheel failure due to this rim. My front rim had colapsed on only it 3rd outing on a cross country ride and had not done any drops etc. I hit a small bump on a very steep fire trail and the rim failed completely. I replaced this and over the last few months the rear rim has been slowly buckling and folding up. I have tried to keep this in check with the bike shop regularly truing it up however it is now splitting in half through every spoke hole in it. Bad rim design and manufacture don't waste your money or take the risk.

Araya, Bontragger,

[Oct 10, 2008]
tmn564

Strength:

They take a beating and have been great right out of the box. Over 500 miles on these rimes & they're still rolling well - No pinch flats.

Like others have mentioned, it's tough to mount tires (WTB, Maxxis, & Nokian). Carry a great set of tire levers in your Camelback and you'll be OK. They're a little heavy, but for $89, what do you expect. Way too many labels, but they do come off with a little elbow grease. Deore hubs need to be repacked, but with a little care they'll last as long as you can dish it out.

Solid wheelset for the price. I've banged these around all over So Cal, Moab (Slickrock, Porcupine, Amasa Back), Gooseberry Mesa, Brianhead... They're still true, round and tight.

Bontrager Race, Mavic 319, Sun RhynoLite

[Sep 07, 2007]
Chuck

Strength:

Pretty light, very strong.

Don't know of any

I weigh 300 pounds and have put 800 miles on these rims in the infamous New England rock gardens in the last four months. After a lot of pretty hard hits and a lot of rookie mistakes they are still true. I will probably use these when I upgrade my hubs.
I was reading the reviews here and was dreading my first tire change on these rims, turned out I didn't even have to use a tire tool. The tires pulled off and went back on by hand just as easy as you please.

This is my first bike

[Jul 25, 2007]
TKUL

Strength:

Weight

Width

This rims have been riding for 2 years, have done 1 DH Marathon Race.

Drops/Jumps (+/- 3/4ft to 5/6ft = +/- 1 a 1.5m).
If you want to use tires less than 2.3 in with, and if you land soft with the bike, this is a good rim and have been on my bike for 2 years.

Had a lot of snakebikes with 2.35".

Now I have to flat spots on the rear wheel for climbing stairs! it`s normal.

Probably my next wheels will have the DT4.2 or DT5.1

Mavics

[Jan 22, 2007]
mark b.

Strength:

sturdy, reasonable weight

insanely tough to change tires/tubes; pulled a spoke through a split rim bed

i'll never buy another sun rim unless i can find one with a better rim bed -- that's why tires are so aggravating.

mavic 223, giant oem, alex

[Jul 07, 2006]
Thomas Lowry

Strength:

Strong, durable, light-weight, colour looks really nice

Really hard to get tires on and off.

Great rims, no complaints with the way they ride for xc type of stuff. They have held up to a fair amount of abuse on the trails but I have pinched quite a few flats, but thats probably my fault for not watching the air pressure.

These rims like a few of the other Sun Rims are really hard to change tires on. I find it is fairly easy to get the bead off the rim, but once you have changed the tube and need to put it back on it is really tough. Email me if you have any tips!

[Mar 08, 2007]
Aaron

Strength:

Light weight, low price, durability under my fat arse (230lbs)

Some tires hard to install and remove

Purchased these over three years ago as a cheap wheelset (with deore disc hubs and generic 14ga spokes) from Jenson USA. As a former bike mechanic, I properly tensioned the spokes and used spoke tight on the nipples. This I'm sure has greatly contributed to their incredible durability. As far as the common complaint about mounting tires...well I think the tire manufacturers are to blame just as much as the rim. Panaracer and IRC tires mount w/o any tools. Nokian and WTB tires require a major effort to install and remove on these rims. Not sure I can blame the rim for tire bead diameter inconsistencies.

Mavic X223, Sun Rhyno Lite, Mavic 217

[Jul 14, 2006]
Timmy

Strength:

pretty sturdy rim can handle alot mmore abuse than you would expect from a dedicated XC rim.

SOOO DAMN HARD TO GET FRKN TIRES OFF!!!! ahhhhh

pretty awsome rim .. I havnt got 1 pinch from these rims yet so... *thumbs up*..
AAAHHHH someone help me get the tires offf!!