Sun-Ringle DS1-XC Rim

Sun-Ringle DS1-XC Rim

For cross-country riding and racing for bikes with disc-brakes. Reinforced spoke face and lower sidewallToTakeThe increased stress fedToThe rim by disc brakes.. Lightweight, rounded construction builds a stronger disc-specific wheel. Weight: 420 grams Material: Welded, double-wall construction with nickel-plated brass-eyelets Colors: Black Dimensions: Joint: 23.4mm Wide, Disc Brake Only

[Nov 08, 2012]
MrBaker
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Lightweight, strong, colors?

Impossible to change a tire. Narrow.

I purchased a used wheelset on ebay that came with these rims laced to a set of Hadley hubs (20mm thru front, SS trials rear). The wheels were light and fairly strong. In fact, I used the front wheel on my Santa Cruz Heckler that I very much thrash about and it has held up just fine besides the occasional pinch flat. Quite astounding considering the front was laced up RADIAL, yes, RADIAL and I like to take drops, small jumps (case a lot of bigger) and go through rough terrain. It probably helps it was a 36 hole rim/hub build, but still. Quite amazing for a XC rim. I've ruined a few other rims doing the same thing, but this one stays the same as I bought. Rear is the same, but wasn't used as harshly (and is only 32 hole).

Regardless, I've replaced it with a wider, UST mavic rim because of two issues. First, it's really narrow. I like fat tires. FAT FAT with big knobs. I live in the wetside of the Pacific Northwest. The tires ran super bulbus on these rims. Not fun.

Second and more important, I pinched a fair bit on those rims and my local trails have quite a few brambles on them meaning it's flat city out here. And let me tell you, it's fairly impossible to change a flat on these rims. Especially lacking a set of good quality tire levels. I routinely used three good tire levels (metal core or pedros) to get the tire bead off. Kinda really lame. VERY VERY DIFFICULT. Read other reviews.

So if you're looking for a simple, light XC rim and you are riding pretty tame single track, or commuting. Check these out! But otherwise, try something else.

Mavic Ex823, Velocity V XC, sun estate, sun singletrack, WTB freq, more

[Jun 09, 2009]
Neeek

Strength:

Excellent price (the main reason I bought a pair)
Good looks
Lightweight
Eyelets

If I were being picky, they're only drilled for Presta rather than Schraeder - not an issue for me as I prefer Presta, but some might find this inconvenient...

These rims build into quite nice wheels - they also look really good. Time will tell if they stand up to abuse, but I have no reason to suspect otherwise as they look like quite a sturdy rim for XC use.

However, the specs on the website are incorrect.

First of all, they weigh about 440g, rather than the claimed 400g. Experience has told me that this isn't unusual as I haven't ever weighed a rim that was as light as the manufacturer claimed.

Second, their ERD measurement is incorrect. I measured it myself as I've been caught out before buying spokes that weren't long enough, and the ERD of this rim is 548, not the stated 545. Porbably not enough to make a difference, but something worth noting.

Mostly Mavics (230/231/117/217/317/517/521/519), some Bontragers (BCXs, Red/Blue labels) and a few other rims I can't remember.

[May 19, 2009]
criticalw88

Strength:

Lightweight

Too fragile for urban obstacles

These came mounted on my San Andreas. For 3+ years they required runout correction and spoke tightening. Maybe a lot of this is due to my 280# riding weight. They seemed tricky when conducting inner tube replacement. One has to be mindful of pinching to assure success. All was fine until they became split due to an encounter with a pot hole one night. I will probably replace them with some Mavic 729's in order to put this problem to bed. I have zero concern for weight. I would have solid granite wheels (Flintstone's style) if I could. Needless to say, I have no interest in replacing them with the same. Maybe they are good for light weight people who dont encounter hard objects.

[Mar 23, 2009]
osman

Strength:

Looks great especially with black nipples, spokes and XT hub.

Eyelets pop-out

After more than 2 years of everyday use, climbing and descending approximately 800 meters of altitude per week and a distance of 80-100 km in every condition (rain, snow, hot summer) some of the eyelets facing the spokes coming from the cassette side of the rear tyre pops-out and have started to make a grincing sound especially when I climb steep ascents. I have dismounted the tyre, put tooth lock washers under the nipples and mounted the tyre again. No problem since then.
These rims fits perfectly well with Schwalbe Racing Ralph tyres, I can pull-out the tyre even without any tool and when installed, fits perfectly. Their diameter match exactly. I have purchased another tyre for spare. There is no problem with the front tyre. I have put more than 8500 km's on these. If I can find new ones, may think of buying a spare again.
Hint: if you can build the tyre by-yourselves, start putting spokes of the cassette side with washers under the nipples first, true them and install the remaining spokes later. By doing this you will not need to adjust the cassette side nipples that much, whose are more stressed than those of the other side.

[Jul 13, 2003]
John Holland

Strength:

Look great and are light

not very strong, I'm 200 lbs and have done a few downhill trails and wheels have not held up, broken spokes and gone out of true

I'm looking at stronger rims, like the DH bonbshell. I may also look at getting some panracer fire dh pro tyres as have had several flats with these sun rims and sun tyres

none, they came with bike

[Feb 16, 2006]
Ross

Strength:

Light, seem plenty strong enough.

None so far

I weigh 75kg, and ride fairly hard - these rims are still running true after a few thousand kms. Perhaps not the rim for you if you're into big drop offs, but as the name suggests, its a light weight xc rim, not a bombproof dh rim!
They do seem to be on the large side, making removing/installing tires a little harder than with other rims, but its really not that bad - at least not with the tioga and panaracer tires i've tried on them.

[Feb 22, 2002]
Joe Elliott

Strength:

Weight, looks and quality

Slim rim, large lip... difficult to change wire-bead tires. Kevlar is no prob.

Not bad at all! There are a lot of reports of people destroying these rims... well they're not DH rims, they're for XC! Very light! My wheels where built by a friend with Sapim Black Spokes, and black XT disc hubs... Real sweet.

Tracking is great... you point and shoot with these rims.. there is no flex on leans... What else can I say? I personally like them... they match my riding style perfectly!

Joe

None (Only ever ridden standard rims Botranger...)

[Jan 24, 2004]
Kevin Gooderum

Strength:

These are light weight rims that can hold up to some preety good abuse. I build all my own wheels and use a tensionometer and pnematic spock tensioner, modeled after the one used in QBP's wheel building facility. After building these wheels I have yet to turn a spoke wrench. I agree whoever said that going from Mavic 221's to these is a big improvement.

These are XC rim's, like it says in the name, and shouldn't be expected to hold up to downhill/drop-in use. So remember to buy according to YOUR riding style.

Out performs Mavic's offering in both weight and build, they're welded, and when built with some expertise and used for what they are inteded for, namely XC riding then they shold hold up fine. I wouldn't surprised of a couple of rims got past Sun's QC with a bad weld, a rim shouldn't fail at the weld, it might bend. I would hope that Sun or your dealer would warranty them if they failed at the weld like someone said.

Mavic; FYI ALL Sun rims seem to hold onto tires really tight. So rembemer to have a good set of levers with you if you use these or 0 degrees or Rhino lites, etc.

[Nov 28, 2006]
Pama

Strength:

strong!!, and light

the worst experience in my life to change tires or tubes,,, imposible.

Im 235 poubds and the rims have hold amazing but everytime I have a flat means 10 minutes per wheel and 2 broken tool levers, this means you probably will damage your tubes and this means another 10 minutes more per wheel and new levers

preformance= 5/5
precticity= 0/5

maybe mavic?

xm819, ditch witch and some crappy ones

[Sep 09, 2006]
Krzysztof Dynka

Strength:

Reasonably priced, very light, very well made in terms of finish, reasonably rigid even in quite abusive conditions

Very narrow even as disc brake specific rims - snake bites are quite likely if tyres not inflated properly or even if lightweight tubes and tyres used

I can't really complain about the wheels built with these rims (XT centerlock 36 hole hubs, DT Champion spokes), apart from the snake bites like punctures mentioned in the weaknesses, the rim seems to be very narrow and sharp, I had many problems with the punctures at the beginning, but having put on thicker tyres and tubes everything seems to be sorted out.

I weigh 73 kilos, I'm into quite aggressive XC, Enduro and trail riding and so far I've had no buckles, dents on the rims, however I wouldn't recommend them to heavier riders for sure, at least not for the type of riding I do.

My rims are in anodized red - the colour, the look and the anodized finish is absolutely superb, but it's all badly spoiled by the crappy and peeling off stickers.

If you want to build (cheaply) lightweight and nice looking wheels for not too heavy conditions, then give them a go.

I'll buy something else next time but only because of my riding preferences.

Alexrims DM18, Mavic X139, Mavic X517