Sun-Ringle CR17 Rims Rim

Sun CR17a Rims

Dave Iriguchi   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 05, 1999]
Strength:

I have had a SUN CR17a laced to an inexpensive CODA hub on my front end for more than three years now and its still in great shape. It stays nice and true and even with three years of constant riding and occasional racing I haven't a single complaint. It's nothing fancy, just plain silver with a reasonable brake track and it just plain works. It's a rim that gives you your money's worth.

None.

A great rim for the money. Probably won't impress the gear freaks, but who cares?

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Valiant and Mustangs
Mike Chase   weekend warrior [Oct 01, 1998]

I'm the type of rider that goes out and expects my bike to always run great. These rims stood up to the test for 2 years and still going. I've only trued them once after I wiped out of a 30 foot cliff. Great rims for the money! Buy or you will regret not having them.

Frank K.   cross-country rider [Mar 25, 1998]

These rims came on my '94 Cannondale. I'm 6'4 ,225 lbs and these rims are still true, even though I've put a lot of hard miles on this bike. The back rim has been thru two rebuilds after I blew two XT hubs within 6 months of buying the bike. When I replace them, I will be getting another set.

kevan   weekend warrior [Jul 25, 1997]

These rims can as standard equipment on my Cannondale-I wanted Mavics but now I'm glad I didn't get them. Have stayed in true to 1/16 with 15 months of hard riding. Seems impossible but even stayed in true with one spoke broken! Just warped one a little by hitting a ditch at 30 MPH and blowing out my tire - not bad. Mavic's are too hard and brittle. Doesn't it kill you to hear people say what a great product something is, they just have to replace/fix/adjust it every month? A great product is something you install and forget about!

Mike   racer [Jul 20, 1997]

They handle jumps and rocks great but Mine ate through my tire and popped my innertube while I was out conquering a singletrack.

Jason Dana   Cross Country Rider [Jan 23, 2001]
Strength:

cheap, stayed mostly true

rear split down the middle of the brakeing surface around entire rim after two years of hard riding.

keep an eye on the brake surface!! I do ride in some mud, snow etc. which im sure is hard on rims but the majority of riding is in dry conditions.. took the sun sub 4 off of my wifes bike since she never rides..ha ha maybe it will last better.

Similar Products Used: generic specialized
Luke   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 04, 1999]
Strength:

This is a very weak rim, bends easily

This product is very weak, one time i was going over a curb but didn't lift my rear tire, and hit the tire (it did have the suggested amount of air) and it bent the rim. Another time, same tire i was bunny hoping and bend it. I also toaced the frond one coming down from a jump. which resulted in alot of cuts and bruises.

Similar Products Used: Mavic rims
Anuar Ahmad   Weekend Warrior [Aug 22, 2000]
Strength:

Light, strong , eyelets

None that I can think of

Have been using it every weekend for more than 3 years. Went out of true only once and that was when I was climbing while another cyclist going downhill ran me down way back in mid 97. Has stayed true ever since. Brake wall works best with Magura's Green Frog pad.

Similar Products Used: Ritchey Vantage Comp, Mavic 217 SUP, Sun SubIV, Mavic 517 SUP,
David Ince   Cross Country Rider [Jul 26, 2000]
Strength:

Light, has eyelets, easy to build wheels. Cheap - got these for $35 Canadian ea. Double wall construction.

Too light for hard use. Had to true them yesterday after hitting some bigger roots. Use Rhyno Lites or Mammoths if you feel compelled to jump off of things.

In Vancouver it seems you are always bouncing off of roots or rocks - but I haven't really pounded these yet. So far so good after 3 months. Have only had to true these once. Recommended for front wheel use.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager, Richey Vantage, Rhyno Lites, Sun 18's
chris   Racer [May 08, 2000]
Strength:

none. zero.

weak laterally. poor breaking surface. tires roll on them.

this rims are junk. you can literally feel the lateral flex in them. they break like crap. cleaned the rim, and they broke worse. can't believe that they break better with all that crap on the side. i could feel my tires, 2.1 panaracer fire pros folding on the rim. first ride they went out of true. third ride, out of true again. had them rebuilt with new spokes and nipples. one month later, they barely rolled through my chainstays, and i could feel the hop in them. please do not buy this rims. do yourself a favor and buy mavics.