Sun-Ringle CR-18 Rim

• Sizes: 559mm
  • E.R.D.: 548
  • Hole Counts: 32

rvaliant   Cross Country Rider [Sep 11, 2011]
Strength:

inexpensive, strong

I change tires (700X38 Schwalbes) all the time on these rims with plastic levers! You have to be retarded or rich if you can't manage it. Rims are strong and stay round for commuter riding and I'm 250 plus I regularly ride with a load of about 25 lbs.

arby   Weekend Warrior [Nov 26, 2009]
Strength:

price-availability

really really tough to change a flat

The wheelset that that came on my 300 dollar
bike was just too cheap to ignore so I went to
REI and picked up the cheapest wheelset they had
which is 100 times better than the no-name set
that came on my bike. they are round and true
after 350 miles of riding around the neighborhood
but I have lost the confidence I had that I could
change a flat tire on the side of the road, away
from home. Changing a tube on the side of the road
with plastic tire levers isn't going to happen with
Sun CR-18 rims. I had to take them to the local bike
to have the tires and tubes mounted after ruining
3 tubes in a row trying to mount them myself the first
time

Jeff D   Weekend Warrior [Mar 11, 2009]
Strength:

Cheap, solid, wheels on the bike go round and round

resemble a tank more than a gazell

Got these as a second wheel set with studded ice tires, for easy switching back and forth depending on snow, ice, etc. Got mine used. They're heavy, but they were cheap, and they've stayed round. I've only used wire bead tires with no problem. Get yourself a Kool Stop tire bead jack (about $13) and you can put ANY tire on ANY wheel easy. Good hefty tire levers help too. You get what you pay for and I'm happy.

Similar Products Used: Cheapish Bontrager wheels
talkingspoon   Weekend Warrior [Aug 03, 2008]
Strength:

cheap, light

bend easy, not very strong

good rim for a beginner. DON'T use for dirt jumping. bad idea!!!! bend easy. ok for xc but light xc and small drops like 2' at most. i would not tell anyone to go out and buy this rim unless they were just starting out.

Similar Products Used: alex dm 18
FireTomase   Weekend Warrior [May 14, 2008]
Strength:

Stays true, brakes quietly, they come in simple polished aluminum color, cheap

nothing

I have no idea where this wheel was built (came with my used bike) but it has never been trued and is perfect. I bet it has something to do with the symmetrical lacing but I have ridden on the rim with a flat tire, have recklessly pinch flatted on sharp curbs and have gone off lots of bb scraping rocks. This is my most abused rim and is also the only one I've never trued.

Similar Products Used: xc717, xc317, some alex xc rim
Andy   Cross Country Rider [Jul 03, 2002]
Strength:

Cool chrome look. Eyelets. Triple hollow. Looks kinda cheesy, so bike doesn't draw too much attention

Seems cheaply made. ABT doesn't seem as smooth as it once was on my rhyno lites. Something funky going on with it.

Well, the front rim seems fine. The rear rim reacted weird during the build process. I trued it, made a spoke tension adjustment, but something was amiss. The seam was also slightly unlevel, but whether it's user err or manu I can never know. I don't expect a warrenty on a rim just because wheels get chewed up like mad. Well, riding along, I hit a bump, and the rim warped. Fustrated, the wheel caught the wrath of my fury (yeah, I suppose I could have just grinned and beared it, but it begged for destruction). The other sun rims reacted better in the same situation, and were all 1) built by me and 2) survived for 6 months to a year. The ME-14's (on the same rig) even suicided off my car, but held up. 4 chilis because they are inexpensive, 2 chilis 'cause something is up with sun rims.

Similar Products Used: Sun: ME-14a, Venus, Zero D XC (all tcb), Rhyno Lite
Mavic: 217 (ok, but wasn't a rim for me)
ERIC WARBURTON   Weekend Warrior [Jul 07, 2007]
Strength:

INEXPENSIVE, DECENT STRENGTH TO WEIGHT RATIO (FOR THE PRICE).

NEEDS TO BE STRONGER FOR REAR USE ON A HARDTAIL.

In my experience the CR-18 is fine for the front wheel and will take most any abuse. The rear however, not so strong. I destroyed the rear wheel in 2 months or so, while the front lasted me 6 years. I always thought of the cr-18 as an OEM part, comimg on mid level Mtn bikes. The 20 inch version have been standard equipment on many mid level BMX bikes for years, and is often the first part replaced, as they don't tend to hold up very well for this application (the rears, at least). I weigh about 170 pounds and ride mostly cross country type trails, but I do resort to some BMX type jumping and thrashing on occasion.

If you need a stronger wheel and don't mind the extra weight penalty (100 grams or so) I would go with a Rhyno Lite, or if you're extra abusive, a Rhyno lite XL (which I have been abusing for a year or so now with no problems). There are rims out there with better weight to strength ratios, but I'm comparing rims in the same price range.
It's easy to get a cheap, light but not so stong wheel. However, a cheap light and strong wheel will cost alot. When bike building on a budget, I go back to my BMX roots and opt for cheap and light on the front, and cheap and strong but slightly heavy on the rear. Unless of couse you are a notorious front wheel tacoer(is that a word?), but I havn't met many of those.

Similar Products Used: SUN RHYNO LITE, SUN RHYNO LITE XL.
JF Bérubé   Cross Country Rider [Apr 15, 2007]
Strength:

Tough enough for xc if used with suspension, i.e. not to be used as rear wheel on hardtail.

Not tough enough for hammering rough / rocky xc trails.

Rim diameter too big for tire; removing tire = NIGHTMARE even with the best tools and techniques. Not raceable for sure (punctured tire = might as well finish race on foot, you'll save time!)

Overall rating would be different if the rim would be better sized. Otherwise, it's just an OK rim. I will never buy sun rims again. (I also own sun rim rhino lite, same sizing problems but way tougher).

If cr18's come stock, consider investing right away in something different. After all, when it comes to performance, wheels are probably the most important component of your bike.