Stans NoTubes ZTR Olympic Rim

ZTR Olympic

• Every other rim in the world has a bead hook. This rim does not.
  • This new rim design will eliminate the bead hook and move the sidewall of the rim down by 2-3mm.
  • By eliminating the bead hook and lowering the sidewall by 2-3mm we reduce the weight of the rim. Some if this material can be used in the center part of the rim making it stronger and stiffer.
  • The curve of the rim sidewall is the same shape as the bead of the tire so they fit together like a ball and socket joint. This design will help reduce the strain on the tire bead while creating a tighter seal.
  • By lowering the sidewall of the rim we also reduce the mechanical leverage the tire has on the rim. This will make the rim stiffer and last longer by eliminating flexing that can cause cracking.
  • With these short sidewalls the tire should not hit the rim and pinch flat as often as standard rims, either with or without tubes. This design will allow you to run lower pressures and use 4mm more of the tire than ever before. The tire will have larger air volume giving you better traction than any rim in the world.
  • Can be used with or without tubes.

marcus   Racer [May 26, 2011]
Strength:

This is a custom wheelset. X7 hubs, DT spokes. These wheels are LIGHT and STRONG! Tires are easy to seat and hold air well.

none of note yet.

This wheelset is 350 grams lighter than the old set, stronger and more responsive. I would not go back to the
old wheel set, to race with. The old ones are my training wheels now! Stans does it right and backs it up!

Similar Products Used: WTB rims on SLX hubs with cheapo spokes( came with the bike)
cefri   Cross Country Rider [Feb 13, 2011]
Strength:

very light yet very durable . . .

have not seen one yet . . .

best buy . . .

Similar Products Used: crankbrothers cobalt xc
amillmtb   Racer [Feb 08, 2009]
Strength:

Weight, Stiffness, Bead Stocket Technology (BST), Stans Yellow Tape, NoTubes Customer Service

Stickers chip, and come off easily

I ordered these rims to replace the stock crap that came on my Rush. These rims blew my mind; they weighed in at 332g and 333g. I built my wheels with a Lefty front hub and a Ringle Dirty-Flea rear, laced with DT Revolutions 1.8/2.0's, and aluminum nipples. The final weight is 1390g with the yellow tape installed. I have been riding these wheels since July and have not had to true them yet. I am a 155lb racer, so these wheels have seen some miles. They have held up surpassing my expectation.

I have run three different tire set ups on this wheel and have had no problem airing them up with a floor pump. I currently run Specialized S-Works The Captain 2.0, and I have previously run 2.0 Larsen TT's and 2.1 CrossMark's. Running a little under the recommended sealant, all three only lost about 3-5psi a week, which is really impressive.

To address my only beef with Notubes product, the stickers: They do chip and come off easily, but they can be ordered through the LBS, and are cheap. It's not a big deal, but it's the only weakness that I could find with these rims.

Buy the Olympic rims if:
~You are interested in a light rim
~You are interested in reducing the rolling resistance of your current set up
~You want to make the switch to tubeless easy
~You Like low maintenance

Don’t Buy the Olympic Rims if:
~You are over 200lbs
~You run a high spoke tension, like with Ti Spokes

I don’t ever see myself owning another race wheel not made my Stan’s NoTubes.

Similar Products Used: none
Giora Heymann   Cross Country Rider [Sep 17, 2007]
Strength:

light weigth, holds the air as promised,runs with regular tires as tubeless and runs them at low pressure. I realy want to love them, but....

In one rim of the pair I have purchased there is a width difference of 0.4mm between the area of the welding point and the rest of the rim. This causes the bike to "drop" at this welded point every time I use the brakes! I use V-brake, and according to Stan these rims are to be used with v-brake. Needless to say that Stan stated that he never heard of it and he sent me to his dealer.
It took 8 weeks for the shipment to get here I examined 8 more rimes in a search of a straight one but no such luck. It seems as if the whole batch was made in some far place in the east were the QC is not enforced as it should. So here I am stuck with a defected rim and no one to take responsibility to this problem. The point is that the rims are probably great, light weight and such but when it comes to "standing behind your product" Stan is a total disappointment.

Basically I am still waiting...

Similar Products Used: Mavic tubeless.
James   Racer [Jun 20, 2007]
Strength:

light and tubeless

this isn't an everyday riding wheel

Remember everyone, this is a RACING rim used for a LIGHTWEIGHT, RACING TIRE. I have this wheelset laced up with DT super comp spokes and hope hubs... its 1440gram, which is CRAZY light. I used kenda karma tires, which are only 2.0 in width.

This wheelset I only race on, I don't dare take this wheel set on long, rock rides. Yes, this isn't the strongest rim out there, however it sure is the lightest and is a great race-day rim.

Similar Products Used: mavic xc 717, xm 819
Dave   Cross Country Rider [Oct 10, 2005]
Strength:

These things are light, no problems with the tubeless system. Did i mention these are light

i have raced solo 12 races in some muddy rocky hell fest rides no probs. I have managed to warp my rear rim, however i am 220 pounds and i was going a little to fast on a nasty drop when i rolled my tire off the rim and dinged the rim into a rock however i have it straight again maybe i will use these just for racing. If u have a style that is lighter than mine and u want a light rim, u will not be disapointed.

Similar Products Used: mavic 517, lots of warped road rims
Kosmo   Cross Country Rider [Jan 31, 2006]
Strength:

Light and so far very durable. Holds tire bead well.

Some may not like the dull appearance.

Single best upgrade you can make to your bike is a light set of wheels(1450g). Ran a Kenda BG in front and Nevegal in back with Stan's goop. Not one flat all year until I put a tube in for my studded tires.

A shout out to Mike Garcia for building a great wheelset at a good price. No factory builds for me ever again. Many probs with the SL's previously. Do yourself a favor and get a handbuilt wheelset CHEAPER than one thats mass produced.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Crossroc, Xmax XC and SL.
chris r   Racer [Oct 17, 2006]
Strength:

light

none yet

Stan's olympic rim laced to DT hubs with revolution spokes. I use the olympic rim strip and am currently running Maxxis Crossmark tubeless tires. 2 cups of Stan's sealant. Inflated effortlessly with a floor pump. I am an expert racer and weigh 155lb. Usual pressure, 28psi. I have 4 races and lots of training rides on these wheels and other than touching them up after the intial build there have been no problems. I am so confident in this setup I don't carry a tube, just a bigair cartridge.

Maxxis tires are the way to go. They have a tread for every condition. Again, they inflate very easy. And if you want a bomber setup use the tubeless versions. Flats suck! Is it worth chancing a flat for 60 grams?!?

Similar Products Used: mavic, shimano
Kirk S   [Jun 29, 2006]
Strength:

Light, strong, runs light regular tires as tubeless and runs them at low pressure which gives great stick and low rolling resistance. When it is working (which is most of the time), it is like magic.

I have only tried tires recommended by Stan and 3 of 6 have failed in the first mile by suddenly blowing off the rim with an explosion(even while others of the same make and model work wonderfully). Stan says I'm doing everything right but some tires may have a weak bead. Less of a problem is that some tires are hard to seal and take MUCH longer of an effort than Stan claims.

I had mine built by Dave (Speed Dream Wheels) based on reviews here. No matter what I do with this bike, and I ride hard and often, these rims stay true. However, all in all they make for a love hate relationship. I blame Stan. He may be a genius that has created the lightest and strongest wheel that can also run with light and strong regular tires at tubeless, BUT, it only works well when it works and fails big when it fails. All in all, I love them but must admit I dread running out of tread and changing a tire because there is no telling how many tires I will have to buy and install to get the magic rolling. I give a low value score for the high cost of the build, sealant, and especially tires that end up not working.

Doug   Cross Country Rider [Oct 13, 2006]
Strength:

Light weight for > 150lb riders

Stated durable up to 170lb riders, but not. Tires blow off rims. Poor customer service coupled with a God complex. Employees who lie.

Been using Continental Verticals and explorers which were properly installed via Stan's instructions. One blew off and wrapped around the cassette ruining the rims now traveling on rocks. Send back to NoTubes stated probably a no charge, but charged my card $100.00 anyway. Next Season 3 ties blow off as calls to Stan brings tips that do not work and a response that they never heard of the problem with these Conti tires they sell. @ more wreck rims, $250.00 later and Stan states that he had Vertical pro's blow off in his shop. Still sells them and still charges his clients when rims are ruined. Unsafe and inmoral. Not a everday riding rim for anyone over 150, does not stay true.