Stans NoTubes ZTR Crest 29 Rim

The Stan's No Tubes ZTR Crest 29 Disc Rim is made for cross-country riding and racing and the overall rim weight underscores its intended usage. However, the inside rim width is 21mm which makes the Crest 29 a great rim if you like to run a bigger tire on your XC bike. Maybe you have a hardtail, or a singlespeed and some extra tire volume is what you're after. The 21mm width allows any tire, not just bigger tires, to have straighter sidewalls, a larger volume for more comfort, and a greater footprint for more traction. As Stan's No Tubes continues to improve their BST, or bead socket technology, their rim weights continue to plummet. Do the two factors go hand in hand? Stan's says they do. As they trim the fat from the outer portion of the rim -- the sidewall and bead hook, they can add material as needed to the wall thickness to make the ZTR Crest 29 tough enough for racing, yet lighter than the ZTR 355 29er rim.BST means that the rim itself has shorter sidewalls. This makes them stronger, more ding resistant, and lighter. The inside of the rim is perfectly matched to the bead seat diameter of a 29" tire. This makes the tubeless seal a good one, though the tires will be a very tight fit on the rim. In our experience, a set of thin but flat levers works best for installing/removing the tires. To make them tubeless you'll use Stan's yellow tubeless tape and one of their tubeless valve stems or one cut from an old inner tube. Stan's BST tubeless system creates tubeless seals that burp less, leaving you with more air inside your tire and not on your mind.Stan's ZTR Crest 29 Disc Rim is anodized Black or powdercoated White with red decals. The rim joint is pinned, welded, and machined for a true sidewall. They will also work with inner tubes. They have a 605mm ERD. This you'll need if you're calculating spokes for a custom wheelbuild.

EOS_   Cross Country Rider [May 22, 2017]
Strength:

light weight and strong

Fantastic rims. I have the 2016 version of these and they are great. My wheels are Novatec hubs with DT Swiss Aero spokes. I have been riding them for more than one year, regarding the weight of these rims, their quality is outstanding. I am not heavy app. 76 kg., but not to light either. I ride mainly XC, trail and some hard stuff occasionally, so I do not take it that easy on them either. The claimed weight of the rims is 380g and after riding for some time, I expected them to be bent at least a bit. After one year I am pleasantly surprised that they are almost perfectly straight. I have Stans yellow tape inside and Schwalbe valves. I had no problem setting them up TL with Specialized Groung and The Captain Control 29” tires. They go together very well with the rims, I had absolutely no issues of them coming off or anything. Bottom line, if you are medium weight and looking for light and strong rims for your all-around/race wheels, these are a great option.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Mustang 29", WTB Stryker TCS 29"
TTUB   Racer [Feb 17, 2017]
Strength:

Lightweight! Like REALLY Light.

Flexy (but within reason)

This review is for the Stans Crest 29 Mk3 Rim. I bought and built these into a wheelset a year ago as a lightweight race wheelset. In reality, I put them on my bike and haven't taken them off yet. They have been used in racing and training ever since. Wheel build is DT Swiss 350 hubs with 32 DB spokes front and back. I am 6' and 160.
When I pulled the rims out of the box and felt the weight and saw how thin the sidewalls were, I honestly did not expect much from them. I thought that surely I would bend these in short order. The build went well, the only exception being that once I mounted and aired-up the tires, spoke tension went to mush! Not unusual for Stan's rims, I quickly retensioned them and haven't put a spoke wrench on them since. I have trained fairly big miles on them, raced them during the cross-country season last year and raced them at Leadville too. Never an issue. I tend to ride fairly lightly, but I haven't babied them either. They are a little flexy, but it's not objectionable. I chose 32 spokes to keep flex in check and that strategy seems to have worked. Very happy, they are crazy light and spin up very well. I have no regrets.

wazel   Weekend Warrior [Nov 07, 2014]
Strength:

Light weight

None so far

I've only ridden these wheels a few times, but I gotta say so far I love them. They are light (and I mean light!). The Crest is my first set of custom wheels, upgraded from factory synchros on my spark.

These are the 2014 Crest with stock ZTR 3.30 hubs. The hubs are louder than my factory wheel-set, but not annoyingly loud like Hope Pros.

I usually weigh 180 when geared up so I was worried I should go with the Arch instead, but the mechanic at my LBS talked me into the Crest due to weight savings. I will update this review in a few months. BTW, I mostly ride XC and some trail too. Wide variety of terrain, sand, loamy clay soils, even limerock areas.

For what its worth, I think MTBR should update their review sections. The Crest model has been updated substantially over the last several years which is generally not reflected in the reviews. In short, the current 2014 wheels/hubs are superior to older builds - so take that into consideration when you're reading reviews. It might help for Stans to add version numbers to the Wheels. Crest 2.0, 3.0 OK I'm done.

Jordan   [Apr 07, 2013]
Strength:

- Holds tyres well, never had a problem with bead slipping off even below 15psi
- Super light

After about a year of use the front rim taco'd during a low speed crash. I honestly expected them to hold up given the low severity/speed of the crash but given the weight of these rims that's a risk you take. I'll happily take the risk again though and have ordered a new Crest wheel.

Great rim, just check spoke tension regularly and only use it for it's intended purpose: xc

Otto   Cross Country Rider [Jan 18, 2013]
Strength:

Very light, not expensive

I'm 6'3" and 180 lbs, and have used these for XC riding and racing (Orbea Alma carbon 29er) with several tires (Hutchinson Toros, Stan's Ravens, currently Specialized Renegade), and these have mounted with no troubles, and stayed on with no significant air loss. These are fabulous rims for climbing, esp with light tires, but may not hold up for aggressive or heavy riders.

Komdotkom   [Oct 02, 2012]
Strength:

Super light!

No eyelets

I think people need to view this product for what it is, it's a light weight XC rim for riders under 200lb's.
I had mine built up with TWE hubs and tensioned correctly and have had no issues. They feel just as good as my Arch Ex's and would take these over Cross Max's any day of the week. For $80, how can you go wrong?

LuVn29N   All Mountain Rider [Aug 25, 2012]
Strength:

Other say this rim is not strong...I very much disagree. I show this rim no mercy at 285 lbs and I rid rough. Even on roads I am always droppin curbs bunny hoppin and poppin off everything I can. I have had them about a year and they have not even had to be trued...not once. I have had them retensioned as you should, but the rim was fine.

Hard as heck to get tires on. Took an hour of fighten to bet my Johnny T UST Fold-able Navengals on. But don't regret it for a moment.

I only gave these a 5 on value because I got them brand new for $70...the pair! I had them laced to Hope EVO 2s and presto! I have a set of awesome rims. I was leery when I saw they were the Crest...I thought I was buying the Flows which are definitely stronger. But the shop said to lace them with 2.0 straight guage spokes and they should be fine...maybe? After a year I have ridden some of the toughest trails around on purpose and by accident. They have been down the Sandy Ridge Trail..one af the trails used for down hill and enduro races in Oregon. Look it up on You Tube. These wheels have taken my 285lb. girth with out strain (OK most likely I have strained them). They have my air miles on them and they still hold true. They are perfectly true as they day they were built. I have been very impressed. I know people have had trouble with them, but I have not. i would recommend them to anyone, except a downhill racer or free styler.

Similar Products Used: WTB, Mavic, DT Swiss
Mike   Cross Country Rider [Aug 21, 2012]
Strength:

Light. Strong (enough) for trail riding + perfect for cross-country riding / racing.

Wheels require frequent fine-tuning as they migrate slightly out of true after rocky trails.

Running on Scalpel 29er 1 replacing DT Swiss Tricon XM1550 (overly complicated wheels that weigh 200gr more and require expensive special tools and techniques to true). I weigh 160lbs and race Cat 1 plus ride a lot of rocks and roots on trails. Set-up with Schwalbe Racing Ralphs was a breeze. Tire burping can happen from heavy side impact on square rocks. With adaquate sealant in tires, they reseal immediately and loose around 3-5 PSI.

Wheels stiffness is fine. Flex can be felt only in big g-outs. Not enough to throw you off line.

Basically getting carbon wheel weight for a fraction of the price. Not a bad equation.

9er Mark   Cross Country Rider [Aug 11, 2012]
Strength:

Mount up tires effortlessly and make a very light wheelset. They are designed for cross country and light trail use with a weight limit of 190 lbs. I have not had to true and retension my rims as another reviewer has suggested but that could my riding style.

None if used for intended purpose.

I don't understand people that have problems mounting tires. I use Maxxis brand and have no problems mounting or sealing up tubeless on any Stan's rim. Put the bead in the channel and use a little soap and water and they go on without a tool. Very light and durable for intended purpose which is cross country and light trail for riders under 190 lbs. If you weigh 235 lbs and ride rough terrain then don't knock these rims since you are not using them as they were intended.