Salsa Cycles Semi 29er Disc Rim

Salsa Cycles Semi 29er Disc Rim

A wide, strong rimThat offers a largeTire footprint contact patch for XCTrail riding. Disc-specific - does not work with rim brakes claimed 480 grams

[Jul 12, 2016]
GpzGuy

Strength:

Very tough rims. Keep their true and take lots of abuse.

Really shouldn't be run tubeless. I tried, didn't work out long term, so I switched back to HD tubes.

I had these rims hand built with 36h Shimano XT hubs with center lock brakes and DT Swiss spokes in 2010. They have stayed true since then no matter what type of abuse I've thrown at them on trail / XC rides. I first had them on a Jamis Dakota hard tail, them put them on my Salsa Big Mama build. If I could, I'd put them on my Niner WFO9, but I can't convert the Shimano hub for the 15mm QR on my Marz Bomber forks....if I ever have to get new hubs though I wouldn't hesitate to run them on the Niner and do some All Mountain riding on them. I run HD tubes with some Specialized sealant because the thorns where I live and ride are absolute murder, and long term ghetto tubeless just became a big hassle after the old homebrew sealant started drying and gunking up after a year and frozen winter not riding. But this rim is so stiff that HD tubes can easily run 26 psi front and 28 psi rear on sandy silt and hard pack / rocky conditions with only one pinch so far...but I think that was with even lower pressure. I've found the key is to lubricate the tube and tire with talcum powder. Anyway, I live these rims! Too bad you can't find them anymore.

Halo Freedom Disc with Spin Doctor hubs (also great!)
WTB Dual Duty with Shimano Deore hubs (good)

OVERALL
[Nov 23, 2010]
IMK

Strength:

Strong, wide, has eyelets, builds up easily, able to be ridden VERY hard, respectably lightweight

These are the nicest 29er rims I've used. Granted I haven't tried the carbon stuff, I don't know of anything better. I am very particular about having wide rims with eyelets, that build up nice and stay true. These possess all of the above mentioned traits, and they can be ridden VERY hard. I don't ever intentionally abuse my equipment, but have ridden these wheels well beyond basic XC trail riding. I'm going to try some 36h rims for my next 29er wheels, and the Salsa Semi will be my top choice! If you are a bigger/heavier rider who needs a quality rim for a custom wheel build, or otherwise a 29er enthusiast who has realized just how far you can push these bikes and you're in need of a rim that can stand up to all you can throw at it, get some! And please, do not listen to people on forums online--who have yet to even try them--saying that they're sub-par or potentially unreliable. I've ridden these things very hard for over a year, and I build my own wheels. These rims are legit!

Velocity Blunts/King hubs, Bontrager/King hubs, Mavic Crossmax 29, WTB 29er wheels

OVERALL