Salsa Cycles Delgado Rim

• Eyelet spoke holes
  • Pinned and sleeved
  • Machined brake track

William   Weekend Warrior [Nov 24, 2016]
Strength:

strong, good looking, versatile.

None that I can think of

I have been riding mountain biking since 1987, and wanted to build a single speed that was light and agile, and could take some abuse, AND that would not cost me a tion of money (have so many bikes already, LOL)

I bought these as built wheels, flip flop hub on rear, old style hub on front. I thought these would be great for my 1983 Fuji Team.....well wanting to put bigger tires on it, it did not fit. So I tried them on my 1974 Fuji Special Road Racer, and they fit great.

I have the bike set up like a cruiser with leather Brooks saddle, and old bars taken from a ballon tire bike. Put a new crank and clipless pedals......and now to my review.

I ride these on dirt roads and gravel roads and have even done some mild off roading, as well as using it as a beach cruiser, and these wheels have held up very very well, no complainants whatsoever.

Austin H   [Jul 03, 2014]
Strength:

Super strong commuter and cross rim.

None for commuting and off road riding.

This rim is bombproof and less than 200g heavier than the lightest Kinlin rim. I have no idea what the other reviews are talking about as far as mounting issues.

DaveS29er   Weekend Warrior [May 28, 2012]
Strength:

I bought a Surly Karate Monkey used, that had these rims. I've been riding it for 9 months, and the rims are great. I ride mostly on bike paths, dirt canal banks, and gravel roads, so I have not tortured these rims. I've had no problems mounting and seating the tires (WTB ExiWolf).

None. These are the only 29er rims that I have experience with so far.

Great 29er rims.

badgerx   Cross Country Rider [Jan 12, 2011]
Strength:

Great braking surface, strong & true

a bit heavy but not crazy

These are great rims. I am very happy wiht them. Weight was not an issue. I destroyed a set of Open Pros and was looking for strength. This bike is mostly for urban assault and has held up great. I have even ridden them down several flights of stairs... NBD! And I'm a Clyde!

Similar Products Used: Mavic Open Pro & various Velosity rims
Holmes   Weekend Warrior [Sep 12, 2009]
Strength:

Strong rim, decent price, versatile

none so far

I built my first set of wheels using 36h Delgado rims and Surly single speed hubs (for an old 10 speed fixie conversion). Bought a Karate Monkey complete that also has these rims. So far both sets have stayed true, mounting tires is easy. I'm somewhat surprised at the number of comments saying how hard tire mounting is with these - I've run several different tires ranging from 35mm 'cross to 2.3" mtb and they all go on easily.

Similar Products Used: Alex Adventurer
Raymond Crew   Cross Country Rider [Nov 08, 2006]
Strength:

Does not make me worry

Not sexy

I like this rim. I am using it on a cross bike and have had no problems. It has held true well, seats tires easily and does not show extraordinary brake track wear or damage. My cross bike gets pretty beat, both commuting and cross rides that are less cross than MTB. I've never tried to mount a 29er tire on this rim so I can offer no opinion on that.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Open Pro, Velocity Razor
Martin   Cross Country Rider [Oct 15, 2006]
Strength:

Wide for good tyre contact patch, Lightweight.

I own the DISC version and I CANNOT get the tyres to seat on the rim properly, unless i use a track pump and inflate to 90psi forcing the beading to pop into place!!! Also the rim tape slips during this process as the bead pings into place. I e.mailed Pman @ Salsa and was advised to inflate tube prior to fitting but this does not help. Nice rims but totally useless when you puncture as can't get tyre to puncture. I'll be buying some DT Swiss rims to take there place soon :(

Crap.

Similar Products Used: Mavic 717
Mike   Weekend Warrior [Mar 17, 2007]
Strength:

Width

Mounting is a PITA!

I had to spray some water on the bead with my waterbottle and then air that PITA tire to 50 PSI to get it to seat. They need to fix this rim. Other than that pretty sweet!

Billy   Weekend Warrior [Nov 22, 2006]
Strength:

Pretty strong for being a lighter rim.

Mounting tires

This rim came on a fork/front wheel combo that I got for a really good price. Because of that, I decided to try this delgado. Pretty strong rim in itself, but mounting tires on it is a NIGHTMARE!! Doesn't matter what tire I try to put on it, it will not seat. Used soap and various slippery substances and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Even then, the tire still has to be pumped up to 60 psi and reefed on to seat right. I don't know bout other peeps, but I don't normally carry soap with me on the trail to help with this prob. I've tried 5 different tires and each and every time have to go to the LBS to use their tire mounting tool(the one that has a vice grip handle with flanges on the ends to grip the tire ffrom the side). They or me, then have to proceed to reef the p@ss out of the tire just to get it to seat competely around the rim. I'm lucky enough to not have had a flat on a ride yet. If I did, I'd be ridin down the mountain with a good 1/2 inch wobble in the tire. Because of this, they have been nothing but a headache. After doing a little checking around, I'm not the only one to have this prob. It would be great if Salsa would fix this prob. I'll be rebuilding the front wheel with another DT Swiss 5.1 to match the rear which I have never had any problems with.
I'll give these 2 turds for being a pretty strong lighter- weight rim. But 1 turd overall due to the tire mounting issues with this rim.