Mavic XM 719 Rim

The XM 719 rim is a new rim in Mavic's "cross-mountain" family. They're designed for heavier duty use than a pure cross-country rim, yet still offer lightweight performance that won't weigh you down.

JonXC   Cross Country Rider [Feb 19, 2012]
Strength:

Reasonably lightweight super strong wheel. Wheels finish holds up well to being bashed and scuffed.

Nothing at the minute. Time will tell but I suspect it will hold up just fine.

I have had these wheels for over 18 months. I ride a mixture of aggresive XC and heavy trail/natural riding. I have covered close to 1500miles and haven't yet need to retrue or retension the wheels! They still look in great condition despite the abuse I give them. This is credit to the guy who built them but mainly to Mavic who have made a fantastic AM rim that is just about light enough for fast XC use. I recommend these rims to XC riders who like to hit the heavier trails from time to time.

Similar Products Used: Alex rims.
Mavic (variety of).
marknorbury   Cross Country Rider [Apr 26, 2011]
Strength:

Light weight, good milled braking surface, welded joint, no problems with other mavic rime that I use.

Rear wheel rim is developing cracks starting from around the eyelets on the spoke side of the rim so far cracks in about 6 places, each crack approx 3mm long. not long to go before complete faliure I think....

I have been a fan of Mavic rims for years, however my rear wheel XC719 rim has started to develop cracks between the spoke nipples. I have never seen this before, hopefully this is a one-off!

Similar Products Used: Mavic XC717
stubs   Cross Country Rider [Mar 24, 2010]
Strength:

Dependable, Strong, easily built into a wheel, The black anodising still looks great after a year, Never gone out of true no matter how hard I hammer them.

None that I can find

Bought these to build onto XT hubs to replace a a set of factory built wheels that kept breaking spokes. Hadnt built a wheelset for years and my wheel jig was only getting used to true wheels. I couldnt believe how easy it was to build the wheels they seemed to build themselves. Not the lightest rims out there but they bulk up a 2.25 tyre nicely and they just keep on rolling.

Similar Products Used: Mavic XM317, Mavic XC717, Mavic EX 521, Alex T17, Sun Ringle
barbej   Cross Country Rider [Jul 06, 2009]
Strength:

Dependable rim. I have a lot of bikes and currently have three sets of wheels built using these rims. I have gradually replaced all my wheels with these rims (when the others have worn out). Had no problems at all over the last three years using them for XC, commuting and touring. They are also the easiest rim to get tyres off and on. I prefer them to the narrower Mavic rims for this reason.

Dependable rims which are easy to live with.

Similar Products Used: Mavic 231's, FSA XC-300, Lots of no branded stuff
rusty904   Weekend Warrior [May 03, 2009]
Strength:

Tough, stiff, reasonable weight, looks good,low price...so everything

None, I guess there are lighter wheels out there but this is the best balance of price strength and cost for trail riding.

I bought this wheelset to replace the stock X430's after the front wheel was stolen. I decided to go with something a bit beefier. I'm 190lbs and I consider myself an aggressive trail rider and these rims have taken all the punishment I can dish out including 3-4ft drops, high speed crashes and rocky descents.
Paired up with the WTB hubs, (which have performed flawlessly BTW)2.0/1.8 spokes, and alloy nipples I think these weigh in at about 1850g. Not race light but respectable considering the strength.
I think the problems mentioned in the other reviews were the result of poor wheel building. Mine are still true after 2 years of abuse. BWW makes a quality wheel, I highly recommend them.

Similar Products Used: DT X430, Mavic 317
trail rider   Cross Country Rider [Jan 08, 2009]

poor quality control

Absolute piece of junk. Of the four rims we have on two bikes, two have developed circumferential cracks from spoke hole to spoke hole completely around the inner surface (tube side) of the rim. Little pieces of metal have fallen out. Mavic has been completely unhelpful in terms of warranty. We have ridden about 4000 miles on these bikes, mostly long-distance off-road touring, but we are not heavy or aggressive riders. We have kept tire inflation pressures within that specified on the rims.

Similar Products Used: first mountain bike
tartosuc   Weekend Warrior [Aug 10, 2006]
Strength:

very stron rim id the wheel is well built.

none yet

very good rim if used for what it os intended for and built by hans by a good wheelbiuilder...i ride a lot of very rocky technical trail, i'm 200lbsv and the rim stayed true for the past 2 years! going strong for the 3rd season!

excellent buy

Similar Products Used: a lot of rim...mvic 321,521, x138, 223, 221, alot of sun and araya to...been biking for 24 year
paul   Cross Country Rider [May 08, 2006]
Strength:

strong, round and tires mount easily

heavy, but thats why I bought them.

got sick of busting wheels or having to ride them too carefully. a man should be able to ride hard. after cracking rims and ruining spokes on all the above mentioned wheels, i decided to have a set built for my 225lbs with gear. i can feel the weight difference but the confidence gained is well worth it. it all comes down to who builds them and what materials they use. Colorado Cyclist custom built these with DT Swiss BD 15/16 spokes, alloy nipples and King hubs. seems to be a great set of wheels.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager super stock, race lite, valient, rolf propells, xt
chris barrs   Weekend Warrior [Apr 26, 2006]
Strength:

light

flexy, egg shaped rather than round

a lot flexier than my old 321's i've replaced with these, but when i couldn't get a wobble out, my local bike shop found they were 'egged' due to how mavic had bonded the rim together- you'll never get them fully cicular. surely mavic or chain reaction should notice this? (can't afford to post them back to ireland!)