Mavic XM 719 Disc Rim

Wide enoughTo allowThe use of large volumeTires, but reasonably light, XM 719 Disc answers all ofThe epic mountain biker's need.FEATURES MaxtalSUPTraditional drillingSingle eyeletClincherDisc ETRTO compatible size: 559 x 19RecommendedTire widths: 1.50To 2.30Valve hole diameter: 8.5 mm, supplied with valve adapterRecommended nipple length: 12 mmRecommended rimTape: 559 x 20 x 0.6

starcraft is my game   Weekend Warrior [Mar 21, 2012]
Strength:

strength/weight is awesome!

it could be a little wider

The best strength/weight ratio I have ever seen... This rims can take a punch, than trollface it back to you...

Even tho they are "just" 19mm wide, i have some big bulky specialized tires in size 2.2 with gheto tubeless set up (which was done with easy, btw), and i had never had any problems with rim/tires on that matters.

5 chilis on all fronts, this rim deserve's it.

btw, cliam weight is 470g, mine's 455 - fcuk yeah!

Similar Products Used: wtb rims, mtx, dabomb racing.... some heavy DH rims on f/dh rig
IckisBriz   Weekend Warrior [Dec 04, 2009]
Strength:

Good solid and light rim. Suited to XC more than DH / Freeride. Comfortably runs tyres between 1.75 to 2.3" but if you want to run larger than that I'd recommend the XM729 Disc instead.

Nothing so much with the product itself but moreso the manufacturers lack of published ERD. If anyone is interested, the REAL ERD for this rim is 539-540 when measured at several points (determined using measurement methodology http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/measure.html).

Excellent value for money rim of consistently high manufacturing quality (according to the reviews...).

Similar Products Used: Velocity Mountain GoAT, Old school Mavics etc...
Micka   Cross Country Rider [Aug 27, 2009]
Strength:

Respectably light for a tough rim.
Wider than the 717 - suits wider tires better.
Lighter than the 819 for those that don't care about UST.
Presta or Schrader valve compatible.
Looks good clean & even better when dirty.

These were part of a wheelset built with Hope Pro 2 hubs & DT double butted spokes.
These have been thrashed around some tough rocky trails for over a year now without fault. Light enough not to add too much weight for climbing, and built well enough to survive fast, rough & rocky descents unscathed. Numerous cosmetic scratches have developed, nothing a bit of dust won't hide though. No sidewall dents or anything like that either. If memory serves me right I've only had one pinch flat too (don't know that I can attribute that to the rims, more likely tires/pressures & riding style).

Zero regrets.

Similar Products Used: Mavic XM117, Bontrager (generic no model things), Dice Duke, Weinmann Zac19
rasumichin   Cross Country Rider [Oct 21, 2008]
Strength:

strong, low wear, light at 475 g, well made, weld almost invisible, laces up well, easy to true

none yet

Most impressing was when I travelled with rear rack and lowrider through czeck mountains for a week. Rims held up great bumps with more then 26 kg of package. I would recommend this for riders from 70 kg.

Similar Products Used: rigida grizzly CSS, dt XR 4.1 ceramic, older araya stuff
James GT R   Cross Country Rider [Mar 27, 2007]
Strength:

Strong, light and looks great!

Little lighter or stronger with product development etc

I needed a stronger rim to train on other than my 717's and more tyre size choice while still light.

719 disc will be fine for heavy XC/Trails.

I'm heavy at the moment so until I get into race spec myself then I couldn't use my weaker 717 rev spokes with 200lbs.

My 719's with XTR splined hubs and DT Comp spokes give me one less thing to worry about when riding hard.

Don't complain they have broken if you do drop offs!

You need the right rim for your riding style.

Cheaper and lighter than DT 5.1's.

If you do some light DH, then get DT 5.1's but they are heavier to cope with the impact.

Mavic 719-disc, A Great Rim.

Similar Products Used: Mavic X225, XC717 Disc, Bontrager Camino and TD-17's
J. Randon Psycho   Cross Country Rider [Jan 14, 2008]
Strength:

Light, stiff, reliable. Compatible with DT Swiss XR 4.1 Tubelesskit.

None observed.

If I only rode XC, then DT XR 4.2 would suffice for my 72 kg (naked) weight, but I also have to negotiate urban obstacles somehow. With this bike I don't make it a goal to go wild stunt-wise in the streets (only being able to ride over stuff and drop off no higher than 0.5m to asphalt), so for the rear wheel I ruled out all the really strong but too heavy rims. At first I looked at DT Swiss EX 5.1D, but I thought "let's try out this Mavic, it's 40 or 50 grams lighter and seems to be designed for about the same purpose!". Mine came at 442g, by the way, and not 460g as per data sheet.

The rim turned out to be excellent. The wheel (rim, hub, spokes) weighs 886 g. It has about 3000 km on it and shows no signs of going wrong (however, I've had to re-true it 3 times, but only after I had done some stupid hit in the street). Recently I fitted it with DT Swiss XR 4.1 Tubelesskit (which is technically an Eclipse U21-26 kit), and it worked! I'm now running Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.1 (non-UST) with it. The sealant is HiGear Tire Doc, it's non-water based and so it works in the winter (however, it begs for an UST tire, because ordinary tires often have too little material on the side walls, and this very thick sealant, once the wheel has been ridden on, can not seal pores on sidewalls -- it gets distruibuted on the largest circumference of the tire, away from sidewalls).

Currently, the only alternative to this rim for me would be the Mavic XM 819, because I'm sold on tubeless :) and frankly, a conversion kit looks to me like a somewhat dirty hack. True, XM 719 + kit is lighter than XM 819... but maybe the 819 is a little stronger? Only an experiment can tell, I guess...

Who should buy it? A speed-hungry mid-weight XC guy who often has to be rougher on his bike than the genre suggests. For full-suspension bike riders, this rim would prove to even better withstand their fits of jumpiness.

Who shouldn't? A guy who routinely drops from 2 meters to flat.

Bottom line: great, solid, trustworthy rim from a very experienced (perhaps too experienced ;) ) manufacturer. Not exactly an "outstanding" piece, but only because there generally is room for improvement everywhere you look (I can hardly think of a component I would rate a 5 right now; but you can treat my 4 rating as 5 until something decisively superior in this rim class is made).

Similar Products Used: Mavic XM 719 (non-disc). DT Swiss XR 4.2 (not exactly similar at 400g, but also has 19 mm inner width). WTB SpeedDisc (junk).