Mavic XM 317 - XM 317 Disc Rim

Mavic XM 317 - XM 317 Disc Rim

Made withThe finest 6106 aluminum alloy, eyeleted for more durability, solidly pin joined and UB Control machined sidewalls for efficient braking, XM 317 will bring you anywhere.FEATURES 6106 aluminum alloyPinnedTraditional drillingUB ControlSingle eyeletClincher ETRTO compatible size: 559 x 17RecommendedTire widths: 1.00To 2.10Valve hole diameter: 8.5 mm, supplied with valve adapterRecommended nipple length: 12 mmRecommended rimTape: 559 x 18 x 0.6

[Apr 25, 2016]
phil weatherley

Strength:

No shortcomings found. Good Looks. Eyelets.

Lumpy welding of rim-joint has sticker applied over it to conceal it. Not an issue on a disc-brake wheel

Faultless rim on a Rohloff hub - after 5 yrars of rough use it is still very true. Pleased with the Mavics.
I have read of some these rims breaking under laden touring conditions. Complainants carrying typically 50kg of clobber on the back plus a heavy person - 100kg plus, that's over 150kg...!
Well folks...! I ask - is this a surprise? Should rims be made for the "dimensionally challenged"? Cycling is for all however with bad food and increasingly sedentary lives perhaps we should see a range of rims developed specially for heavy riders.

Mavic XM317Disc on the front. XM719Disc on the back This based on the unequal weight distribution on the wheels so putting the beefier wheel on the back.

[Feb 24, 2013]
RJDOfThePhilippines
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Tough.. Very tough, i always ride these rims on very technical trails here in my country and still looks new after all that rocks, sand, mud, roots, and even corals..

absolutely none that i could have find (i didnt mind the weight penalty from a cheap rim)

I used a maxxis minion tire on these rims and boy did they went on like bonnie and clyde..
It was a perfect match but cornering seems a bit akward for a not so wide rim on a huge 2.5 minion..
Over all, these rims really are tought, i fell of a 15-20 feet drop from a side cliff and not even my bike was scratches and these rims were fine.. Looked brand new every time i washed them..
Really cheap, tough, 4 chili for overall because these would have been great if it was wider but then again, this is intended for XC and i banged this rim for AM use and still no problems..

[Jan 19, 2013]
Eben

Strength:

Strong ,light and stiff .Combo with continental protection tyres worked flawless for 2012 season .More than 3000 km of the worst terrain .Total weight with rider is 115kg

Very good strong, light, responsive rim with hope hubs and conti protection tyres ,was used on giant anthem 29er for a hard season .Will use same set for 2013 .Good combo for heavy rider

[Jun 01, 2012]
Simon Lewis

Strength:

Lightweight, Stiff,

None really

So far with them on the roof I've reversed under a concrete lintel, driven under a height restriction barrier and riding I've picked up a log which broke three spokes and bent a fourth ... but I've not had to re-true.

What else is ther to say?

[May 09, 2012]
garrett

Strength:

dude. i got these wheels stock on my 2009 Fuji Outland Pro. it was my first full suspension bike but ive been a biker all my life so i learned fast. i ride my XC bike pretty hard and these wheels have been awesome. ive jumped them, ive ran through rock gardens with them, and ive had them for around a year and i have trued them only twice. they are still perfectly true.

huh?

dont listen to any other reviewer. i speak the truth

[Mar 26, 2012]
brummiebiker

Strength:

none at all , they just look nice

not wide enough, you can brake them easy even on the pavement !

i'm quiet heavy - over 100kg but iwas expecting little bit more from wheel for 60 british pounds , frnt wheel mavic 317 was broke , yes broken after about two months after hit on pavement . and my weight wasnt a problem because i was using old rigida from 1997 for 6 years till 2003 , i remember these lovely v-brake rims. dont buy mavic 317.
(sorry for bad english )

rigida, mavic xm 117, mavic xm 721

[Mar 24, 2012]
Uzzi_PA

Strength:

These were an exact match for the older X221N rim it replaced. I simple taped the new rim to the old one and did a simple replacment. It trued up very smoothly, with no complications. Feels plenty strong and still pretty light weight.

The tire grove is too shallow for easy installation or proper tire seating, just like the old one...

These are clones of the X221, and share all their good and bad characteristics. I suggest using Stans No Tubes 12mm Rim Tape to tape the nipple holes up with. This gives you precious millimeters of room to work with in the tire groove.

221's. 217's, 517's, crossmax, etc.

[Nov 09, 2010]
Veda

Strength:

Cheap beginner's XC rim.

Heavy.

Ahh the standard rim they put on new bikes... does the job until you decide to shave weight or want to get serious about mountain biking. Haven't seen people breaking it so no comment regarding durability.

Almost all brands.

[Sep 07, 2010]
llewyn

Strength:

weak,cracked around spokes, two rear wheels,no good for touring bikes,only for little kids

don't buy these rims they will fail

shimano,wtb,rigida,no name brands, never had a rim crack around spokes before

[Jan 23, 2010]
Mutantclover

Strength:

Builds up straight easily, good weight, cheap, not flashy

First wheel I ever built used this rim, the first build got me by but wasn't that true (I hardly knew what I was doing). I rebuilt it a month or two later, it came out very straight and has stayed that way for a little over 3 years and counting. Since then I have built two xc717 wheels and two velocity fusions. I think the XC717s are a little more rigid and are are 10% lighter but I will be getting 317's for my new wheels this year because they are so much cheaper. The Velocity rims weren't as straight at the weld as the Mavics (Mavics were spot on), and I haven't ridden the fusions too much yet, but I would buy either brand again, right now for me it comes down to price and what fits my application.

xc717, sun cr18