Mavic XC 717 Rim

XC 717

Mavic hasn't forgotten how to make a great cross-country rim, and they don't come any better than the XC 717. It features a hammer-hardened technology that locally strengthens the rim in the area where the spokes exert the greatest force, improving durability.

Paul W.   [Apr 05, 2015]
Strength:

Strong, good looking, light, affordable.

Accepts limited tire width.

A year ago, I needed some silver rims to replace my Vuelta VXC's, so I bought these 32H as a wheelset with Shimano hubs. They've been very good, are light and responsive on the road (I only ride on the road). With Hutchinson Cobra Air Lights, I can get some good speed up and these rims hold up if I have to go down some trails or dirt roads, too. Good-looking, care-free.

Pietro   Racer [Sep 19, 2010]

I like these rims: I weigh at around 146 lbs + gear and have *never* had a problem with the wheels being dented, damaged, or coming untrue, I ride mostly rocky and technical trails: 4-6 times a week. That ought to say enough.

Rillyroy   Weekend Warrior [Aug 01, 2010]
Strength:

Light

Soft

I have never crushed a rim like this before and I have been riding for over 20 years.

Similar Products Used: Mavic 131, 317,521, Alex DP17
cycle_rcr   Cross Country Rider [Dec 19, 2009]
Strength:

Good name. Smooth machined rim surface

Annoying as hell rattle.

Hope they don't break.

I've been riding Mavic + XT for 10+ years

WTH. If Mavic is aware of this problem why don't they glue the stupid heat sinks in place instead of leving it to the end user

Similar Products Used: Mavic 221
Sun Rhyno
SYNTHETIK   Cross Country Rider [Oct 23, 2009]
Strength:

nice looking rim. light. well made, easy to build with.

that annoying as sh:t hula hoop clicking sound (as per joes review).

listen mavic. when are you going to figure out how to build a rim that doesnt click on every revolution. i hear velocity knows how to do it. your rims are very well made, strong, durable, and great looking. i know youve been making aluminum rims since forever. i cant believe you are getting away with this bullsh:t though. come ride my bike up mt. diablo and listen to that sound for an hour and a half nonstop. you will want to walk home. seriously get it together over there.

cheers, mattB

Similar Products Used: velocity, dt
Zachary   Cross Country Rider [May 26, 2008]
Strength:

Build a very strong wheel. Easy to build with due to factory roundness. Long life. Fast acceleration. Decent stiffness with a proper build and good tension.

SUP weld can be annoying when it breaks free as described in Joe's review. There are few rims that hold up better to abusive XC racing.

Bottom line is they have their and every rim will wear out or buckle eventually (they aren't indestructable after all). These (X517 and XC717) are the best bang for the buck you can put on your bike. I have three sets that have been built with several different spoke and hub configurations. I can say that this rim with DT Comp 14/15 spokes and a shimano hub are tough to beat when properly built. I have gotten 2-3 time the life out of these rims that I have out of the competition. I also run them with NO-tubes and have no problems getting a fantastic seal!

To address the issue that seems to manifest with the SUP weld (I might point out that I have NEVER seen a weld separate on these rims whether mine or anyone elses) there are several simple fixes. This is something I have found to be common as it has happened on several of mine as well as other mavic rims like my open pros.
There are two cheap and effective fixes I have found. The first is to put the SUP block to one side and inject a VERY VERY small amount of canned expanding foam insulation (like found at home depot) into the opposite side to fill the void. The other way is to get a punch and reset the original punch marks that Mavic has on either side of the SUP block. I have done both of these fixes and have over 1 year on each repair with no problems.
There is a third solution which is equally effective. Leave it the heck alone and ride your bike! This fault doesn't effect the rim in any functional way.

Bottom line is buy these rims and with a proper build (essential to any good wheel) you won't be dissappointed.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Mustang, Sun XC-1, Matrix, Sun Rhynolite, Sun Black Eye, DT 4.1, Several others.
Joe   [May 22, 2008]

The welding tabs in rim broke loose. This makes a very annoying sound.

The Mavic 517 rims on my bike and my girlfriend's bike (4 rims in total) have all had the welding tabs inside the rim break loose. These tabs are used to dissipate heat during the welding process and can not be removed after they break loose. They are in there for good.
Although I have been told by Mavic this does not pose a safety issue, it is highly annoying. The wheels now make a Hula Hoop sound as they roll. (If I were Mavic, I would not want my name on a product with such an obvious flaw.)
The only solution so far is to either drip contact cement into the rim to glue the tab in place or rebuild the wheels at a cost of about $230 each (new rims, spokes, spoke nipples, and labor) with no guarantee it will not happen again.
After spending good money on new wheels, the thought of needing glue or rebuilding the wheels again to correct a noise problem is unacceptable since the problem started almost immediately after the wheels were built. (BTW, all miles on the rims have been road miles.)
Before you spend money on a new set of wheels, make sure you know what you are buying. You could be throwing good money out the window and getting a Hula Hoop sound in your wheels.
As a result of all four of the rims having the same inexcusable problem, I give the Mavic 517 rims a 0 rating.

Similar Products Used: Rigida rims
George P. Mason   Racer [Jan 01, 2007]
Strength:

Works well with caliper breaks. Fast tire that moves me almost with an effortless ride and keeps my bike with all but the fastest roadies. Sleek design and light weight.

Reinforced holes suffer multiple microfractures and cracks. Wear indicator doesn't function properly and one malfunctioned on one of the 4 rims I have own after one ride. I put a small drop of adhesive through the spoke hole to bond the indicator so that the incessent noise would stop.

They seem to work great on the road or packed trail. I like the rims a lot--enough to purchase 2 more after the first set started to show numerous cracks and fractures. I am disappointed that my first set of rims lasted only 1 year with only about 2500 miles (3/4 with the trailer). The second set has lasted now for about 8 months without this problem although the wear indicators have malfunctioned. The bottom line is that they give a good and fast ride if you're light, they'll last only a portion of what a rim should last, and the lbs where I purchased them told me that mavic wouldn't do anything about the rims lasting only a single season.

Similar Products Used: too many to list
Paul   Weekend Warrior [Sep 24, 2006]
Strength:

Lightness

Worry about weld cracking

Both my wife and I have had these and their predecessors on a similar setups . The bikes are Roberts RoughStuff Expedition tourers, used almost exclusively for touring on hard surfaces and some fire road type surfaces. They have been lightly loaded (no camping) and both of us only weigh about 150-160lbs and panniers only about 20lbs.
The wheels were built initially with Mavic X517 on XTR hubs with rim brakes and these performed very well in terms of not needing trueing, withstanding lots of airline handling and general performance. After about 5000 miles, while on tour in Cascades – Washington state my wife’s became out of true, fairly rapidly although we managed to completed the tour. On return to UK it showed serious cracking around many of the spoke nipples (in the line of the weld), some crakes being 4-5 mm. He front and rear were replaced with X618s (the front did not show any cracks) ; after a total of about 6000 miles I noticed some cracks appearing on my and had that replaced with X717 before it went out of true. On examination there were a large number of the spoke holes cracking, some with very small cracks. Searching the newsgroups showed that this type of cracking with Mavic X517 was quite common and the wheels had done 5000+ miles. I had hoped it had been solved but reviewers here seem to indicate a very similar description with X717 – so I am now not convinced. Since having the X618 & X717s they have performed well and despite 4-5000miles

On the positive side the wheels are light, strong and perform well and 5000 miles is good mileage. On the negative side they obviously have a tendency to crack (in our case having not been used for MBR or XC for which they were designed) and this seems to occur quite suddenly and not just in one area and this is something that users should be aware of. I am not yet convinced that Mavic have solved it with X717 anymore than the X517 but at least I am aware of it now. Since having the X618 & X717s they have performed well and despite 4-5000miles not needing truing but we are obviously reaching the worrying distance. For a set of lighter road wheels for my Giant Trance I am probably going to try the DT Swiss XR 4.1 rather than the X717.