Mavic X3.1 UST Disc Rim

X3.1 UST Disc

MTB cross-country riding and racing to build your own wheelset and to use UST Tubeless tires.

• Lightweight performance due to the Maxtal SUP welded rim.
  • Fore technology: New technology that consists of "piercing" only one rim wall with no loss of material and then tapping the resultant alloy tunnel.
  • Drilling: 24 - 32 holes
  • Color: black

• User Reviews (21)

life speed   Cross Country Rider [Jun 24, 2003]
    Strength:

Uses standard hubs and spokes, non-proprietary.

Had to buy from the frogs (French), one more special bike tool required

Tire was easy to mount (WTB Weirwolf 2.1), holds air well. Only had to adjust 14g/15g spokes once after the first ride, surely due to the wheelbuilder (myself, 1st time) not the rim. Use loctite on the nipple inserts when building.

I haven't hit any really big rocks yet, so I don't know about strength. I suspect it is fine for my 190 lbs.

Tubeless benefits are nice, tire is more supple and traction is better. I'm at 40 psi in the rear tire, and could probably go lower.

Similar Products Used: haven't used tubeless before
    cole   Racer [Oct 23, 2001]
    Strength:

it's the first ust rim to be used with a lefty hub

a bit tricky to get used to taking the tire off, but thats probaly true with any new ust rim

This is a very nice rim which i would recomend to any one that wants a non mavic, bontrager, or any of the other set hubs used for ust wheel sets

Similar Products Used: none
    Jason D   Downhiller [Oct 18, 2003]
    Strength:

Incredibly strong and true, very lightweight, love these rims for crosscountry and the city.

Nipple brace stripped out when I was tightening them, probably my bad though. A bit** to get worked on because 2 years ago ust was brand new, took 3 weeks for mavic to send local bike shop brace key. After that never once had to touch the wheels, still in great shape.

I love these wheels because they're so light and always have stayed true, have used d321's for a while now but can definitely tell the difference in weight because they're huge.
    If you want one of the best XC wheelsets on the market, buy these, the factory mavic disc hubs that came with the rims are still in great shape too. Cheers to mavic for a great product.

Tim XCRider   Racer [Apr 10, 2004]
    Strength:

Strong
    Light
    UST

needs special tool to insert spoke beds

Although I have the 32 hole versions these are the strongest rims I have owned. They have put up with all manner of abuse on race courses and trails and hav stayed true till I had a flat and hit a rock. Definately a worthwhile purchase but It's Cross MAx next for me

Similar Products Used: Mavix X517/XTR
    Rolf Dolomite
    Mike   Weekend Warrior [Apr 14, 2003]
    Strength:

Strong rim, Stays true, Minimal to no leak down

If I have to pick something, maybe weight over Non tube wheels.

These rims are great. The rear wheel has had no leakdown, while the front has had minimal. These are my first UST/Disc wheels I have run and I'm sold. The ability to run lower air pressure has definitely improved my climbing ability. The wheels are stout, and have taken what every I've thrown them at with little flex and I haven't had to true them since they were built.

Similar Products Used: Misc Bontrager Rims
    Dave   Weekend Warrior [Jun 07, 2006]
    Strength:

Popularity - lots of people have them
    They look cool
    They're light, I think

tire mounting difficult

I've had trouble getting tires onto these. My last two sets of tires fit very tightly. The trick is to slip them into the center groove of the rim which is a smaller diameter than the outer part, then to overinflate them to get the beads to 'pop' out and into their seated positions. I inflated and deflated my Specialized tires 3 or 4 times to get them seated correctly, inflating the tires, which are only rated to 50 psi, to up over 70 psi. The first few times, portions of the tire's bead remained in the center groove, causing the tires to be untrue. This was using tubes. Perhaps this is not a problem with no tube, but a repair out on the trail requiring a tube I think would be a hassle using a little hand pump.

Similar Products Used: non-tubeless rims
    adamant   [Feb 03, 2003]
    Strength:

Easy to build your own custom UST wheels
    Cheap to replace a rim if you break a wheel
    UST tires and tube/tires mount easy
    Strong like other Mavic rims

Weight of spoke ends holder not shown in product weight... probably adds 2 ounces per wheel.

Great do-it-yourself UST wheels. Why spend $600+ for a pair of Mavic CrossMax pre-built wheels(check Crossmax reviews for some negative comments on the hub durability), when you can use good hubs, spokes to suit your weight, and build the wheels yourself. This setup allows a "free ride" person to use UST when they want, and still have the ability to cheaply rebuild a wheel, if/when needed.

Compared to pre-built wheels, building your own has many advantages. If you break a rim on a road trip, a bike shop can rebuild with any rim in stock. Not the case with a pre-built wheelset. I saved $$$ using these rims with XTR hubs, and the weight is the same as the 2003 CrossMax XL.

It took me 32 seconds to install Kenda Kharasma tires on these rims (with a little soap & water on the tire bead). No hassle at all. I have also run tubes & tires on these wheels-- again, no hassles.