Mavic X138 Rim

X138

Mavic X138

Tony From Northern California   [Sep 06, 2014]
Strength:

Strength
Price
Weight is not even that bad for a wheel from the late 90s
Straight as an Arrow

The x138 wheelset came stock on my Marin East Peak all the way back in 1998, I have been riding these wheels hard. I have blown through 3 rear shocks and had my recon rebuilt more times than i can count, and in that time ive only trued them maybe a handful of times and at the most its only by a few millimeters. For the price they are a great rim when paired with the Parallax Hubs. Ive commuted on this bike but mostly i ride this in Downieville which is a pretty significant downhill trail. For the price you cant beat em.

Jeremy   Cross Country Rider [Jul 01, 2003]
Strength:

Hmmmm...None

These things tacoed going into an easy XC corner

I was going down a beginer XC trail and went into a corner and the wheel tacoed throwing me over the bars. I weigh 200lbs and am a decent rider. This scares me as I wasn't doing anything abnormal and they just bent in HALF! I will just get heavy string rims this time so I don't have to worry about dying on a ride.

CityCommuter   Cross Country Rider [Jul 18, 2002]
Strength:

Inexpensive, straight.

Cheap. Major cracking around spoke nipples.

I purchased the Mavic x138 wheelset for road riding and used it for a bit over a year. While retensioning the rear wheel I noticed large cracks and bulges around two of the nipples. There have been no major single stresses I'm aware of. I use this wheelset exclusively on the road, and expected to wear through the sidewalls before having any other sort of problem with it. I am still riding on it, and so far so good - there are two drive-side spokes that are a little loose now, but I'll just ride it until it's really shot.

Similar Products Used: Various other Mavic rims.
Fred not dead   Cross Country Rider [Feb 06, 2003]
Strength:

Price, cool blue ano to match LX hubs

Mavic low end rims
no welding/machining

x138 are the basic Mavic XC rims, the lowest in Mavic food chain. As they are they are not welded just pinned; sides are not machined. Profile wise they're very similar to 221 (save CNC and welding) with 2 round loops on sides, made out of same Al 6106 alloy and after break-in perform similar.

For high end rims like 517 Mavic uses Maxtal alloy said to be 30% stronger then 6106. Still 221 and 138 should be about as strong thanks to triple cavities. Life expectancy is lower, but who cares if you can get 6 rims for price of one 517?

Some of the comments below are just plain ridiculous. Taco? easy to bend? break spokes? my ass.. YOU just got bad wheel build, period. I've build a set and after 3mo of abuse on hardtail (several rocky pinch flats) the most truing rear needed was 1/8 of the turn.

Notes about metal shavings are true. Mavic rim profiling/anodizing leaves microfractures on surface and since sides were not machined you may get it esp with cheap brake pads. Watch out for it on new rims and clean pads if need.

On new rims I'd also recommend to file seams to save brake pad wear.

Similar Products Used: Mavic 517, 221; bunch of Suns, Weinnmans/Rigidas, Bontragers
Chad E   Racer [Apr 25, 2003]
Strength:

-Wicked fast
-Wicked light
-Wicked stlye

Not as INDESTRUABLE as every rider would like. We all want the lightest Indestructable Rim. you lose Strenght with weight... Its a given. so don't huck yourself on rims that arn't ment for It... tune your bike accordingly I would take a 100$ bike down a heavy shore line trail and drop It 7-10 feet, hey how did I bend my rims?

Not only was I so overwhelmed by the difference the x139 had on my Rhyno lite XL both done by RockyMountain Wheel Tech. It Increase my response incredably. Acceleration was very noticable. If yah wanna pick up speed and not lose too much Strength these wheel sets rock... PROPS to rocky mountain.... "REVEIWS THAT ARE REAL"

Similar Products Used: Rhyno Lite XL Rocky Mountain Wheel Tech.
Kwik- Z   Cross Country Rider [Jul 09, 2001]
Strength:

relatively strong, dont bend too often cheap

some bending, but once they are trued from the first dings and bumps, they seem to stay straight.

only an ultra-moron could possibly think this rim would stand up to 10 foot drops. its good for XC, even aggressive XC and wont bend even when i think it should be tacoed. sometimes i will have a horrible crash, blazing down a hill at 30mph or so with lots of rocks, i get up and look at it, and its fine even though i expect the rims to be semicircular or something.

Similar Products Used: yo momma
Levi   Downhiller [Jan 04, 2000]
Strength:

stay strong for a bit.

bends pretty easily.

TO WEAK FOR ALMOST ANYTHING BUT XC!!!

Similar Products Used: none!
zach brin   Cross Country Rider [Dec 25, 2000]
Strength:

uhm, i couldn't find any

weeker than a newborn

i hate these rims, i'm 14 and i weigh 120 pounds, i was riding and did a small drop going about 25 and these stupid crappy rims folded on landing. i flew over the handlebars and was unable to walk for several weeks, these rims should not be used unless you just want to ride around without doing anything.

Similar Products Used: mavic x221
Jon   [Sep 12, 2000]
Strength:

Indestructible (almost)
Easy truing once destructible

Weight, I suppose

It took three months of daily abuse to put a flat spot into the rim. It took three beer and a 2x4 to keep it going after that. Semi-regular truing kept it in tune after that.

Retired the back rim this spring, after two years of cross country pounding. The sidewall was going to give way soon. But the front rim won't die. I stopped checking the true six months ago. I guess I'll just have to upgrade the rims (more Mavic!) without breaking it.

It's a stock rim, most of the time. And it's a good rim while it lasts. Then you rebuild your wheels.