Mavic F519 Rim

Mavic F519 Freeride rim - Weight : 460g. - Drilling : 32, 36.

Brandon Saliba   Downhiller [Jun 24, 2003]
Strength:

Very light, strong, only had them trued once, CHEAP

can't put more than a 2.4 tire on them, a little narrow for freeriding.

These rims are a good rim for dirt jumping and urban assult but are not the greatest for the shore or freeriding. They are light, dependable, strong and cheap. So far I have been riding with these rims for about 4 months every day riding them real hard and have only been trued once because the spokes were too lose.

Similar Products Used: Mavic 517
Ryan R.   Cross Country Rider [Aug 30, 2003]
Strength:

STRONG really strong, very stiff rims no lateral flex at all, No true thus far did I metion they were strong for such a narrow rim.

For you weight weenie's out there look somewhere else. For people who are looking to do something fun like Moutaincross or aggresive style XC riding this is your rim. Still they are on the heavey side compared to XC rim.

These rims are strong for a narrow rim. My X223's flexed and needed to be trued monthly, but not these. They are totally worth the mild extra weight penalty. These are not for XC racing but for XC riding they are perfect. Rock sold performance at a good price if you buy them at Jenson.com. I got them for a steal and they are much better for the trails around here. Root filled with plenty of downed trees rocks and stumps to get over. I'm pretty tough on wheels and I have yet to make these flex, flat spot them or even bend them. I have hit a couple of logs and stumps pretty hard and nothing so far. Still you can feel the extra weight going uphill the most I have found myself using a lower gear to climb on some steep hills. Going downhill is were the extra beef of these rims are at there best no whel shudder or vibrations. Basicly if your looking for a good set of rims to do some light freeriding or aggresive trail riding these are great, but for racing stick with a light weight rims like X317 but for something extra get yourself some F219 you can't go wrong. The extra width of these rims make you tires grip even better than before, and for someone who likes to make there bike carve this is a great rim for that as well PEACE!

Similar Products Used: WTB Laser Beams, Mavic X223, Sun Ringle XC lite's
duce   Weekend Warrior [Oct 29, 2001]
Strength:

very strong rim look cool an reasonably light

bit costly

Awesome rim very strong good for urban riding an light down hilling.
i have bent a rim but a rider crashed into me an landed on my rear wheel full wieght an bike about 120kgs or 260lbs for you yanks an i could still ride home on it so i was angry but impressed at same time sure there are stronger wheels out there but these are fine for me.
These are a good rim but if you are a real killer of parts go to something stronger the mavics really only suit weekend warrior

Similar Products Used: bontrager mustangs,221,weimann519,
E   Weekend Warrior [Feb 15, 2003]
Strength:

None.

Well... lemme see. I weigh only 140 #s, and BOTH the front and rear wheels are in the dumpster with cracks all over the place like kitchen ants.

This is absurd, a waste of dollars, and a waste of my time. I've had these rims for about three months and the end result: I noticed that the wheels started to become oval shaped as if the wheel was built by the Flintstones. I checked the rims and found that they were cracked by the nipple inserts. This was done by a 140 # piece of meat on a bike, which should not cause the rims to fail like that. So I call Mavic to see what's cooking with those rims. They gave me a bunch of runaround as if I am a part of a sheep herd. baaaaa. Their excuse: well, uh.... its like, um, putting these rims on a 4wd truck - whatever. It seems as if they are having a problem with these rims cracking when used for FREERIDING purposes, we are not alone. To Mavic - PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM BY BEEFING UP THE RIMS or DON'T SELL THOSE TIN CANS FOR **FREERIDE** PURPOSES. Absolutely worthless rims! If zero chilis existed, I'd give these rims zero chilis overall; 2 chils for value. 'Nuff said.

Similar Products Used: Walmart rims (trashed three), X517s (still ok after 5 years... amazing!), F519s, D321s (will give update soon)
Rob T   Cross Country Rider [Jan 17, 2004]
Strength:

Mavic makes the best rims.These are stout yet fairly light .They build up perfectly straight and tensioned provided you or your builder knows what he's doing!

Mavic didn't make a heavy duty XC rim when I bought these.They made only the 219 and that was too heavy for my use.

These rims are beefy!I use Stan's system and run about 28- 35 lbs. pressure and 2.3s.I ride in rocky and wooded technical terrain as much as possible.I manage to completely compress the tires and get rim contact with obstacles on a pretty regular basis.Beside a few dings and scratches this rims have held up fine.I haven't had to true them yet.I do a lot of technical,long distance endurance rides.I demand high reliability out of my equipment.Where I ride there is no opportunities for shortcuts back or getting a buddy to pick you up.If we break down,we could be in for a 20 mile walk.These rims are a little heavier,(60 whole grams!!)but more durable than any XC rim I've used to date.I think the most important thing with wheels is that they are built by a competent wheelbuilder who enjoys doing it,not some highschool yahoo who's just there to earn enough money for his next date.I can build strong wheels using inexpensive components.Just because you get all the top end stuff won't necessarily guarantee you a great set of wheels that last.

Similar Products Used: 317(narrow,dents easy),519,217,117,MA40,Open,Sun and Bontrager Mustangs(nice rims at a nice price)
john su   Cross Country Rider [Jul 13, 2002]
Strength:

strong, fairly light

stock xt/221 rear needed help. rim were no longer truable .. stripped spokes, worn freewheel. shop said hub was still good, just replace freewheel ($20, done). for a rim, i was thinking of going with rhynolites, since i have a set on my hardtail/beater that i've only needed truing like once.

the shop guy recommended these f519s. said they're higher quality than the rhyno's and a tad lighter too.... better for my cross country riding. so far so good...one true after the initial hand building. don't have a scale but the xt/519 feels lighter than the lx/rhyno's. xt hubs are still on the heavy side, but this should last me the life of the bike.

Similar Products Used: 517, 211, rhynolites
Eric   Cross Country Rider [Feb 17, 2003]
Strength:

It's wider than a 221 or 517 rim giving a better footprint for the tire.
Stays true better than other XC rims.
Good XC rim for clydsdales.
Is only 10 grams heavier than a Mavic 221 rim.

None yet, but I use them as a heavy duty XC rim, not for freeriding.

I don't use my F519s for freeriding.
I do use them as a heavy duty clydsdale XC rim.
As a heavy duty XC rim they work very well and are only 10 grams heavier, than the 221s, that used to be on my bike.
They stay truer than any other rim I've used, even when I've been doing some light jumping on them ( about 2ft ).
I've only had to true them once,just a little bit, after the breakin period, after that, they haven't budged a millimeter.
I bought the rims as a wheel-set with the DT hubs and DT spokes for $276, so they were a good value.

I would recommend these, as a heavy duty XC rim, but they seem like they would be too light, too be a true freeriding rim.

Similar Products Used: Other Mavic and Araya rims.
Greg   Weekend Warrior [Nov 12, 2003]
Strength:

lightweight for what you get. very strong. good finish. very nice brake track. welded rims are much stronger than pinned rims. never have to true them.

a little on the pricey side.

the rims are sweet. only ever busted one -split it in two pieces. i can't complain about breaking one rim, in the same crash i did $11,000 in damage to my face. i use disc brakes with these rims. anyone using v-brakes should love this rim over a rhynolite (the mavic won't have brake shudder from the rim seam.) as far as people having stress fractures... those little white spots you see on your silver rim around the eyelets are from the eyelets being installed in the rim. get the rim in black and you never see those. if your rim really is being 'fractured' get a new wheel builder and ask if he/she uses a tensiometer when building. too high of tension can pull the eyelet throught the rim. i'm the service manager at Buck's Bikes in Austin. every wheel I build is measured with a tensiometer.

Similar Products Used: rhyno lites, 221, 217, x517, sun ds-1
Andrew Jackson   Weekend Warrior [Dec 24, 2001]
Strength:

nice wide rim for better stability, great price alot cheaper than the sun rhino lites.

not quite big enough to run a full blown DH tire

These rims are great I replaced my 223's with these and I have had no regrets. I weigh 186 lbs and ride rocky trails. I routinely drop 5 feet with no problems, i have only had to true my rear wheel twice (minor). If you are heavier or ride big stuff get the 36 holes. Make sure you pick a good builder, talk to people who have had wheels built by them Joe at Cyclepath is amazing!