Mavic EX 721 Rim

Mavic EX 721 Rim

EX 721 provides downhillersThe strength and agilityThey need. Rewarded by many victories inThe most hotly contested races,This rim isThe one you needTo be fast onThe down side ofThe mountain.FEATURES MaxtalSUPTechnologyTraditional drillingUB ControlSingle eyeletClincher ETRTO compatible size: 559 x 21RecommendedTyre widths: 2.30To 3.00Valve hole diameter: 8.5 mmRecommended nipple length: 12 mmRecommended rimTape: 559 x 23 x 0.6

[Nov 11, 2012]
Steven
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

looks, durability, price, overall weight

decals mar easily

Overall a great rim. I got my set on XT hubs, but switched them out for SLX.. far more durable and sexier sounding.. anyhow, I got these when I had first decided I wanted to try drops and step downs over 6 feet... they have taken a few terrible landings and retained there trueness. I am 6'2, 190 lbs and about 215 with gear and bookbag, I ride 140mm of travel front and rear... these are good, no... GREAT rims, and I am sorry to hear that those writing bad reviews had lemons. lol.

Mavic EX729, Sun MTX33, Sun S-type,

[Sep 12, 2012]
Žan

Strength:

it fited to my 36 funn bullet rear hub

killed it in 3 weeks

evry one who i asked said go for that rim, eavn the reviews here got me into it, after 3weeks i was highly dissapointed, after a ride i saw its side had a 5cm long bent part, i gave it to an old serviser which is best far around here and still when he fixed it, it broke , i expected way more from it...its not that i dont know how to ride or that im a hard rider, i ride smooth and big stuff, just using my bike for what its made, i dont say it aint a good rim but it surly aint bobm proof

cheerz

[Mar 01, 2011]
Daemongrad

Strength:

Super light, Stiff, Easy on the eyes, (said to be)indestructable.

Stickers muck up easy, tires hard to change, but oh well... no problems with rim at all.

Super sick rims. Real pretty, real strength, real value!

Alex DP 20, S-Type, MTX33

[Nov 23, 2010]
eshew

Strength:

These rims are set & forget! I've ridden these @ Whistler off the clown shoes drop & many others up there. Literally my favorite rims. Will buy them as long as they are produced. Going on (scary thought) 7 years. I've had to have these rims trued technically 1 time. 2 other times I had to have a new rear hub installed from breaking axles. Never has this rim let me down.

Makes other rims look pretty lame. Ceramic coating looks so good that the raw aluminum ones look pretty bland (but still kick buttt).

On my 2002 Stinky (w/ BETD 7"-8" plates & an Avalanche DHS)I've been riding on the 521's. On my Bear I have a 521 in the back and 721 in the front, both ceramic. These are literally the same rim. Identical in every way.

These rims are one of the best deals around. Yes they are rim brake compatable, yes they maybe very inexpensive (for non cd or non ceramic coating), yes they may crack if you or your wheel builder dont know how to properly tension spokes. BUT these things last a long time. If you ride hard and dont want to worry about rims these are for you. If you are HC crazy DH then the will last longer then they should with proper checkups. Just make sure they are built correctly and you'll fall in love!

Too long ago to remember... Mavic D521 or EX521 same rim as the 721 just older name.

[Oct 07, 2009]
speedy_gonzales
Downhiller

Strength:

Built on Hope Pro II's, light and strong rim that comes highly recommended by a lot of riders.

I've given them a good beating for a few months now and theyve not gone out of true, though Ive kept on top of them maintenance wise. Gave them a couple of flat spots after a weeks riding in the Alps, but they should straighten up no probs...

None I can think of..

Top rim, tried and tested, awesome when paired with a well proven hub and spokes..

Alex BH Supra,

[Oct 03, 2009]
Rob

Strength:

STRONG. Can build up a nice tight strong wheel with near DH strength but not the weight

None. Some may say weight. These are not at weight weenie wheel

Great all purpose wheel for a clyde like me. Ride thes day to day and race on 819s

Ditchwitch, Rhynolite, Dice Duke

[May 28, 2009]
Matty

Strength:

Super strong rims with looks to match. I ride dj so mine have taken some serious beats. Iv had to get mine trued once coz some spokes started working loose. Iv had one or two flat spots but they fix easily

Get these rims if youve got the cash. You wont regret it

[Aug 17, 2008]
Slydee

Strength:

Decent strength for the money.

Made a dent after a few days of riding.

I was quite surprised to see a dent on it after a few days of riding, but it was repaired and it runs like new for a month or two now..

rhyno lite

[May 31, 2008]
Rob Esquire

Strength:

Strong as hell.
Looks awesome in black.

None I can tell.

I had a pair of 521's for years. Built them myself on a hope bulb front and LX rear, 36 spoke. Batter the hell out of them whilst jumping, street riding, drop offs and downhill. Only even manage to put them a bit out of true with dodgy landings and big crashes, but if I didn't tun rims I never would have noticed. It took a huge crash where I snapped the arch, bent the stantions and basically completely trached my X-vert forks to write off the rim.
I replaced the rim and still use the same rear, but I built a new bike and got the 721's, which are identical other than the colour and the logo (which looks even better!). Buy them, abuse them, love them, and for god's sake clean them so people can envy you.

Mavic 521's
Mavic 221's

[Mar 10, 2006]
Mike N
Downhiller

Strength:

Excellent value. This rim holds up to the same conditions, is 50% cheaper and is 100g lighter to the Mavic 729.

The 721 is narrower than the 729 thus you lose a bit of tire width when inlfated. You might want to go a little fatter on the tire width that you match with this rim.

Strong, lightweight and affordable DH rim.

Props to Lane @ On Top for the wheel-build.

Sun Single Track, Mavic EX729