Mavic EN 321 Disc Rim

The XM 321 from Mavic is parts ofTheir "cross-mountain"series for 2004. ReplacesThe older F219 model. Its a 28mm wide rim (outsideTo outside) for use with disc brakes only. At 570grams, its designed with an eye on durability and strength for aggressive riders.It all comes at a priceThat wont ding your wallet, makingThese rims idealfor your next custom disc-specific wheelset. Please note:This is a disc-specific rim and cannot be usedwith rim brakes. Weight: 570 grams

Dan   [Dec 29, 2012]
Strength:

N/A

N/A

Gentelmen / Ladies,
I have a NEW Mavic D321 laying around which still has some of the plastic wrapper left on it. Mind you, it has been laying around for quite some time now. If you would like to own it, email me at jbdbishop@hotmail.com and I will send you a pic or two. Then make me an offer I cannot refuse!
Thank you!
Dan

mtbhead   Downhiller [Sep 16, 2010]
Strength:

Totally bombproof, perfect width for DH tires

None. (slightly heavy for racing?)

This review is for the older Mavic D321 rims, NOT the EN 321 rims, which are newer, narrower (21mm inner width), and suckier. The new 729 rim is probably most compareable to the older D321, but still not as good. It seems the EN 321 adn D321 rim reviews were combined at one point - the older reviews are on the D321s, and the newer ones are on the EN 321s. These REALLY SHOULD BE SEPERATED. If you want a BOMBPROOF DH/FR/DJ rim, and you can find D321s in good shape on ebay or at a swap meet - get 'em - you will not be dissapointed. I've had these rims on a wheelset on my DH bike for over 10 years, and although I don't race on them anymore (I raced the bike up through last year), these wheels still get used at least once a year at Northstar, and two years ago they saw a week of Whistler, Northshore, and Post Canyon action. These rims have been rocked countless miles of double-black diamond, rocky-as-hell, downhill courses and trails (hard turns, super rocky trails, big drops, doubles, etc) over the past 10 years, and they just keep going. I just do a little truing now and then (less often then any other wheelset I've ever owned), and they remain in excellent shape - very true, and no flat spots.

Similar Products Used: Nothing comes close so far
skottt160   Cross Country Rider [Jun 22, 2008]
Strength:

strong, doesnt taco easily, has held up to all the abuse ive thrown at it

possibly weight, but thats where your strength comes in.

a great wheelset. im a pretty aggressive rider, and these have gone off 4-5 feet to flat and been alright most of the time. i am completely satisfied.

Bill Dick   Weekend Warrior [May 26, 2003]
Strength:

Strong, stays true

None yet.

This is the best rim that I have ever owned. It is stiff. I can feel the difference! I have not had to true it yet, bloody amazing! I use this rim for freeriding the North Shore and riding the Whistler Bike Park. I am not doing huge drops like the dudes in the videos (Wade, Darren, etc.), but I am hoping to go bigger than I am capable of now. If you want the best rim available then part with the coin and buy this rim! Obviously this rim is not intended for XC racing it is too heavy!

Similar Products Used: Sun Double Track (good), Sun Rhino Lite (okay, but not great for freeriding)
lehan   Downhiller [May 21, 2003]
Strength:

really strong
can take any abuse

bit of a mission to fit some tires - but who cares

Got the 321 as a complete wheel second hand
had a few knocks-but does not affect the wheel
top rims!!!!!

Similar Products Used: Alex DH ; DRC downhill 21
Alex   Weekend Warrior [Aug 30, 2007]
Strength:

It lasted a good time.
It is semi strong i guess.
Did a 2m drop to flat on a hardtail with these rims and they survived.
Cheap now?

Not a very good rim.
It is made to only fit up to a 2.2 tire.(It works with a 2.5 i guess)
Not very strong.
Bends easily and spokes come off.

Not a very good rim. I liked when it was on my bike but then it cracked at the weld and there vas a big flat spot on it from a jump that is not very large. I had some good times when it was on my bike and its a good rim for dirt jump and street but I use my bike more as a freeride hardtail.

Similar Products Used: Mavic ex325(It replaced the 321), Sun singletrack.
DH MIKE   [Jun 18, 2002]
Strength:

STRONG, good looking, nice and wide... STRONG

being available in black would be nice

Really nice rim that I haven't even stressed yet (and I did my first 9ft drop today)...
Either the D321 or Dice 26 thanks...

Similar Products Used: Mavic X317
Sean   Downhiller [Aug 02, 2007]
Strength:

It can take the hits quite easily and its not to heavy. it looks nice, i had it on a hard tail doing drops and urban it doesn't buckle easily or if it does not a great deal...

I found the spokes were always coming loose even in my front wheel i need to constantly tighten them. theres a bit of flex in the wheel when i pump the cranks and in combination with my chain stay flexing it rubs on my chain guide. oh and since the rim gets thin out to the edges if you hit it at a bad angle the rim will fold in easily i found to my dismay :< .

great rim light, durable. Best for XC or soft tail use i believe

Similar Products Used: alex rims , funn
Phil   Downhiller [Dec 23, 2003]
Strength:

Strong, Good price, More engineering-less overbuilding, Very reasonable weight, Gives an excellent tire profile, Great for tubeless

I don't get them for free?

Best rim of all time IMO. I have 3 wheels with D321s all 36 hole, they rarely go out of true, partly due to very good wheel builds because they're easy on this rim. I'm running them all tubeless with stans/maxxis rimstrips and sealant. Never dented, when I run 25 psi.