Mavic Dee Max Rim

Dee Max

• Maxtal SUP welded rim, yellow Mavic coating
  • Integrated freewheel hub with FTS system
  • Adjustable, removable, sealed cartridge bearings
  • 8/9 speed HG compatible freewheel
  • Stainless steel straight spokes, brass nipples
  • 36 spokes crossed 4
  • Weight:
     Rear: 1390 g
     9 mm front axle: 1160g
     20 mm front axle: 1070g.

• User Reviews (16)

Killer B   Cross Country Rider [Sep 06, 2009]
    Strength:

Bomb-proof durability.
    NEVER had to tighten a spoke in over 3 years.
    NEVER had to true them after 3 years.
    Look neat & unique from any others.

Weight is a drawback up you pedal uphills,
    otherwise this is a strength on downhill runs.

Yello may no match your bike.
    (I have a pair of the yellow's & silver)

Best heavy-duty rims/wheelset available IMO.
    I'm not sure I'd pay $699 for them, but look
    around for a used pair that most people sell
    simply because of the weight.

Similar Products Used: None are comparable IMO
    lewis   Downhiller [Apr 09, 2009]
    Strength:

heavy landing,drops,crashes and rocks hitting the spokes

landing on a ruff angle and loose spokes

if you dont know how to ride propally dont buy them.I reccomend steve peat to buy them because hes got the same bike as me

Similar Products Used: dt swiss 6.1
    Bobby Peru   Downhiller [Nov 28, 2008]
    Strength:

Great looks, strong rim...

Hub needs a little TLC now and then...

Great rim and strong wheel set all around. I bought these from a friend who got a new bike and the 135mm rear hub didn't fit his new frame. His loss, my gain! I've run these wheels in 3 countries and four US states. I've only had one flat in all of that time. The rear hubs needs some TLC every now and then, other than that, they are great! They are not so "in" anymore, they used to be a very popular wheel set. Not so much any more. Who cares? They do the job and do it well.

Similar Products Used: The only other wheel set I had was a WTB. So it's tough to compare.
    skywalker   Downhiller [Nov 19, 2008]
    Strength:

Very Light, Super Strong, head turning looks, ust option!

Presta valves, price & changing tyres is a feat unto itself!

Awesome wheels, have taken a beating for 3yrs now & have performed very well! Still perfectly straight, only serviced the rear hub once, never had to touch the front wheel! Check the spokes occasionally as they may come abit loose (like any rim) & check the rear axle too being a two piece item it can occasionally come loose! (simple maintenance will keep this wheel alive for many years)
    I weigh 80kg and ride some fairly mean trails & regularly do 10ft drops, these wheels have taken it no probs for 3 yrs now & still going strong! (just remember we are punishing our equipment pretty serverley, so just check on it every ride & you wont have any problems with them!)
    Best wheels ive ever used!

Similar Products Used: 729, 329, dual duty, single track!
    random   Downhiller [Nov 03, 2008]
    Strength:

strong, can't dent, no flats, no flatspots.. looks sweet.

if you arn't a bike guy who maintains bikes and wheels ... if you dont know how to tension a wheel or take care of a wheel.. these aren't the wheels for you.

so only weakness is .. need to do alot of spoke checks.. 1 a week if you ride 3 times.. something like that.

these wheels are very good, very strong, and very very trush worthy.
    you have to maintain spoke tension, if you do this, you will never have a wobbly wheel.. you will never dent and you will never ruin these rims, they are VERY STRONG!

however, if you dont get a good built deemax and dont maintain them, they do wobble specially if you do like to land sideways;)

so if you know your stuff and can maintain a rim properly, i highly suggest these wheels....

the quality of the wheel outweigh the weight of the wheel in my opinion

Similar Products Used: arrow racing, mavic 729s, mavic 823s, mag 30's
    robertsm   Downhiller [Jul 26, 2008]
    Strength:

I beat these wheels up pretty bad. The black powdercoating is scratched off pretty bad from dragging along rocks, yet they are still true. They are qite heavy but they are supposed to be.

Only problem I had was that the yellow stickers didn't go well with my bike. So I took em off. Easy enough.

I am very happy with these wheels.

Similar Products Used: dt swiss 6.1
    Jake   [Aug 01, 2007]
    Strength:

well, i bought these seond hand with a crack in the rim. Bad idea, maybe, but i work in a bike shop and figured that i could true them and things would be ok. You know what, for once in my life, I was right! I'm a pretty technechly bad rider, meaning i jump off really big stuff and normally land wrong. These things can take a beating!

well, i cant break em, so i guess none..oh yeah, they cost alot

if you are like me, you prefer your taco's from a mexican resturaunt, not a mountain bike wheel manufacturer. if you have the cash, buy them. Ignore any bad reviews you red cause they are complete bullsh*t and the people who wrote them are probably 300lbs overweight.

Similar Products Used: everything eles (stay away from ditch witches and rhyno lites!!!!)
    Watson   Racer [Nov 12, 2006]
    Strength:

I have the old 36 spoke deemax's and they are STRONG AS H*LL

What?

Strong Rim rolls over anything and stays straight.

Similar Products Used: WTB Dual Duty
    ben watkins   Racer [Jul 17, 2002]
    Strength:

bombproof. these wheels have direct pull straight spokes, any wheel builder will tell you that is the strongest way to build a wheel. hubs are also as smooth as any road wheel i have seen in all the shops i have worked in.

price.

I have raced for just over two years in elite men here in Australia and thrashed around freeriding aswell every week on these wheels and they have held up great. I broke the frame on my first dh bike, now on my second and the wheels are still going strong. At some races where i have run 12 psi and hit rocks and roots realy hard i have expected to see huge dents or flat spots in the rim, nothing yet. very strong wheels.

Similar Products Used: hed rims. sun rhino lites.
    Andy Leuterio   Racer [Sep 12, 2002]
    Strength:

Great aero looks, strength, doesn't weigh too much

I got these rims and set it up with the Shimano Mega hubs & spokes back when I was still using a full-suspension. The wheel & 1.38" tire setup weighed a little more compared to my previous shallow-rim setup, but the deep rims made up for it as I went faster (i use my bike for duathlons and triathlons). Seems there's less wind resistance with these babies.

I stuck with these rims when I switched to my Galmod - it's an Italian brand -but changed to 1.15"s: this is about as light and aero as I'll ever be with an MTB. Wahoo! I can even keep pace with some roadies now. The best part is that when I get tired of road duty, I can change the tires and go back to dirt trails. You can't do that with a road bike.