Mavic 238 Rims Rim

Mavic 238 Rims Rim

Mavic 238 Rims

[Apr 21, 2011]
timcarley

Strength:

Definitely long lasting

weird tube valve stem design

MAVIC 559X17 / 6106 238 WHEELS... I am trying to switch to street/road/hybrid tires! Cant find anything to fit these wheels! Anyone got any ideas? sizes/dimensions on tubes an tires please.

[May 07, 2008]
matthew moscardini

Strength:

bombproof

no longer available?

Came with the frame over 10 years ago and still going strong. I changed the front hub to a 20mm to work with a psylo xc (junk) and then nixons- kept the rim. I would like to switch over to a disc specific rim set but really can't justify it. They work and never need to be trued. I have heard the spokes buckle and and ping on more than a few occasions but they always stay true.

[Feb 23, 2002]
andrusha

I'm the biketrials rider from Ukraine
I used these rims for 3 months and they were quite ok.
They was perfectly normal ,even when I had seriously crashed
they endured ! I am pretty happy with them

[Sep 06, 2001]
Greg

Strength:

they are good for xc, dont do drops over 2 feet

i finally warped the front rim badly in one spot, off a 10 set at the skydome, it was like 6 feet high, it was fun

only buy these rims for xc trailriding, dont try big urban on these. it has seen a helluvalotta stairs and small drops except for that one big 40k+ one.

nothing

[Apr 14, 2003]
RideFast

Strength:

Strong, pretty light

can't think of any

I have raced these wheels and i used to ride alot of trials and i have slammed on these wheels for a while are are still rollin. The front rim has never had to be trued and the back wheel other then changing spokes has had to be trued only 3 or 4 times. These wheels are great for anyone!

zac and alex rims

[Apr 09, 1999]
Eric
Cross-Country Rider

I bought a 1997 Specialized StumpJumper M2 brand new (!) a week ago. Mavic 238s came stock on it. I didn't even get a chance to take it on a real trail because it was raining last weekend. So I took it around the streets in my hometown and on a puny, flat, smooth trail (~1/2 mile). The biggest bumps I hit were a few (small) curbs. Somehow, in about 2 hours of fairly easy riding, the back rim went far enough out of true that I had to take it in. My LBS was able to get it straight so it fits between the brake pads, but it's not quite a circle any more, which means I had to spend a good 15 minutes screwing with the back brake setting. It rolls, but it doesn't exactly instill confidence to have a never-ridden wheel get bent on minute amounts of wimpy riding. I am a pretty big kid (6'1, 210 lbs), but I make a point not to hit stuff too hard when it's possible. I'm an optimistic guy, so I'm going to assume that this is just an unfortunate isolated incident; therefore I'll give them an extra flamin' chili pepper, bringing the total up to a whopping 2. I'll re-post when I've got a few more miles on them.

none yet

[May 04, 1999]
covin
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

kind of cheap

heavy, not very strong, yucky braking surface

huess you cant expect it to work as well as something that costs twice as much, but it has ben pretty frustrating getting the damn things trued after every 3 or 4 good rides. im only about 150, and dont do very much *really* hard riding. 3 flaming pieces of feces

[May 18, 1998]
Luke

I am surprised that Mavic, could make something os such awful quality. I had them for about 3 months, during which I had them trued 5 times. Even a skilled mechanic couldn't prevent them from warping and hitting my beak pads. They developed stress cracks after about a month of hard ridding. Not worth a penny, they caused me more agravation then anything. THEY SUCK THE LEFT NUT.

[Oct 20, 1997]
midi
weekend warrior

hi..
i had this rim for about 3 months now..after abusing them,..they seem quite ok to me..they didnot bend,.even i jumped and jumped...
it is a little bit heavy but it is a great rim for the price...
somebody said the bend the rims..i dont know how,..but may be because of their weight..and i only weight about 56 kg..:)

[Nov 08, 2000]
Dan S

Strength:

Affordable, decent strength

Sidewall hardness

Rims were stock on bike and have not needed much attention. A lot of people indicate that the 238's don't hold up well. I weigh 160 and do not consider my riding style to be exceptionally kind to wheels. The 238's have not given me any problems. One area that I ride has a stepped, rocky climb that requires a lot of speed to climb. There are usually several hard impacts on the way up but these rims have survived quite well time and time again. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe the people with the complaints are more abusive than I am.