Mavic 222 Rim

-eddie.   Cross Country Rider [Dec 30, 2008]
Strength:

everything so far, light, fast, and strong.

i dont like the looks, but i cant complain b/c they roll so well

they rock.

the front is wearing out a little bit, but after 10 years 10 YEARS of service. thats fine by me. I kept telling myself i was going to upgrade to disc brakes once they wore out. Well they still haven't.

10 years people, what's that telling you.

either they're awesome, or i don't beat them enough.......maybe i should try.
take care of them and they'll last forever, or at least 10 years. :)

Graham Mitchell   Weekend Warrior [Jan 07, 2007]
Strength:

Light weight. Stunning longevity!

Zip

I bought my MM new in '99. I am still running the original wheels and brakes. People keep pointing out that I should upgrade to disks. I reply that I will when the wheels brake or wear out. Well after nearly 8 years of crashing and bashing through the inhospitable Australian bush (you don't know till you've been there) my wheels are still going strong. Sure, I've broken several spokes and required occasional truing and yes, I lose braking power in the extreme wet (rare here) but these hoops won't say die! So to all those whom I lambasted in my 2001 post, stick that in your pipe and smoke it!!

Similar Products Used: Zac 19
Ian   Weekend Warrior [Nov 09, 2002]
Strength:

Over two years on weekend thrashing and bashing has resulted in minor truing maybe four or five times.

Really amazed that what I hear is a XC rim has taken over two years of thrashing and bashing into and off of large logs by a low finesse but agressive rider.

andrew   Cross Country Rider [Oct 26, 2001]
Strength:

Awesome rim. I bought these w/specialized stout hubs from a friend barely used. my only problem was when i tacoed the front rim.

Nothing

When i tacoed my front rim, it was my fault. It was on a night ride and my light's beam didnt go over the edge of a 4ft dropoff. I hit front wheel first at 17 mph. I smacked it on the ground to straighten it out and rode home. That one i landed right on my face. They look really cool half black half braking surface. I got a sweet price but to replace the rim it will cost 30 bucks(special order)

Similar Products Used: bonty race lite(my friends) xtr w/517's(his race wheels)
Mark   Cross Country Rider [Oct 22, 2001]
Strength:

Strong. Fairly light. Looks good. Seem to track well.

They are a hand-built set with XT hubs. They have generally been used on windy single-track, but occasionally on the rougher stuff and some light downhill. They have never had to be trued once (that I can remember), which is very good since I am a 250 lb. plus rider (part of this may be the quality hand-building from Colorado Cyclist). They have been taken off some good one to three foot drops, with no problem. I am starting to hit the rough stuff harder, but still don't think they would be a problem. One day, I am sure that they will need some truing. Good quality cross-country rim at a good price.

Similar Products Used: Old Ritchey (Vantage I think). Mavic 221. Sun Rhynolite.
Leo   Cross Country Rider [Dec 15, 2001]
Strength:

Strong, holds for XC riding. Light, even lighter than my other set of wheels which are built with the X517 rim(both sets have same spokes and hubs).

Not with the rims, but the stock wheels I got are built with very high spoke tension - so far three spokes have popped because of that.

Great rim, if You find it - rare as aftermarket rim in sweden.

Similar Products Used: Mavic X 517 , Weinmann
Sean   Cross Country Rider [Nov 04, 2001]
Strength:

Quite light
Strong
Inexpensive

None so far

I bought these after I wore out a pair of X517s. As they cost about half what I paid for my 517s I wasn't expecting much from them - they aren't SUP welded like the 517s. I expected to get a few months out of them and then buy something better. However, I haven't needed to replace them yet - they've stayed true (I don't use them for anything too extreme - no drops of more than a foot or so), and I haven't noticed much wear on the braking surface. I suspect that anyone who has had problems with these rims has either suffered from a poor wheel build or is using them for something other than straight-forward XC.