Mavic 220 Rim

Mavic 220 Rim

Mavic 220

[Sep 11, 2008]
SubieDude

Strength:

rims was on a 8-10 year old bike
i ride it, i crash it, PERFECT
these are perfect, unlike that others say about it

nothing

If you can get these cheap GET IT
dont listen to other people, ive had them on my bike for 10 years and they are perfect

alex DH rims

[Feb 19, 2004]
Dave Kim

Strength:

Stayed trued for 7 years and running. Still no problems or any repairs necessary to this day. Value for the money.

Negative feedback from other reviewers.

Many people claimed these rims to be weak and terrible. But my bike has had the original rims for 7 years and never have I had to have them trued or repaired in anyway. The braking surface for the brakes work well with V-Brakes. I have no negative remarks for these rims because in 7 years of riding cross country, some downhill and some pavement abuse, they never let me down. When I say pavement abuse, I mean they survived climbing over curbs at relatively high speeds, and I crashed several times and the rims stayed trued. I had a Giant ATX980 that came with cheap rims, and in a severe crash, the front rim buckled like a taco. Imagine what that does on the pavement. Must have flown a good 5 feet up, 10 feet straight before hitting the pavement. Thank God for helmets, ALWAYS WEAR YOUR HELMETS. Saved my life, helmet cracked in several places. Anyways because of how long these rims have lasted to this day, I rate this rims awesome.

Other Mavic rims, Sun Rims, Spin Spin Rims, Weinmann Rims

[Jan 05, 2004]
Nikolas

Strength:

Nice looks,wond bent easy(with dt revolutions that is)Very good breaking surface,eylets,its mavic

i built my wheels personaly and so far they havent shown any negatives.I used dt revolutions,lx hubs,dt allow niples.Dont know why other poeple have problems with theese rims.Maybe the person that builted the wheels didnt knew how to in the first place.or something.iuse them on xc use and so far they havent bent(dispite i transport the bike by aircraft preety much and geneneraly i dont take much care for the wheels,and i managed to bent vuelta deepV's).I supose its all a matter of wheel building.When the braking surface wears mavic will be my choice again.

[May 26, 2000]
Scott Stange

Strength:

Looked like a nice rim and cheap

weakness is the weakness

I just purchased this rim after less than one year on a rear ritchey rock comp. It looked good until I miss timed a curb jump while semi-racing another biker. My rear wheel hit the curb farily hard and I weigh 200 lbs. The rim folded like a cheap paper bag. I expected the rim to be slightly damaged, but it was destroyed and then my tire blew up. I felt dumb as the other rider just rode on by....a lighter rider may have a rideable rim.....may?

Ritchey Rcok Comp

[Aug 06, 1999]
Romeo

Strength:

FAIRLY LIGHT. GOOD PRICE

GREAT PERFORMANCE, BUT i HAVE TO RETENSION THEM EVERY MONTH OR SO. NO SWEAT. I BUILT THEM IN JUNE.

MAVIC X138

[Mar 02, 2001]
BVBR

Strength:

Constant truing has helped hone my wheelbuilding skills.

WEAK PIECES OF CR@P!

Not a very good rim at all. From the first day I rode this wheel I was constantly truing it. I actally had to pound some flat spots out of it after a hard ride. Now its more of an oval than a circle. I have since put this wheel out of its mountain bike misery and now only use it with a slick on my trainer.

Bontrager Mustang, Valiant; Mavic CrossRide

[Aug 12, 2000]
Raf

Strength:

Colour is nice and sadly, thats about it.

It's a pretty weak rim. Maybe not for the real XC, only road riding perhaps.

These rims sucks. I am only 75Kg and everytime I go off-road, I have to true them. If you do long distance road riding, these are good for you as they are light, but if you go off-road, tough off-road conditions, avoid Mavic220. The Spinergy Rev X is far better although they are carbon and non-spoke rims.

Cheaper craps

[Jun 30, 2000]
Sven

Strength:

Light

weak

My bike might be a work in progress, but the mav 220's upfront are alright. make no mistake, these are NOT rear rims, but they are adequate for front. After about 3 months of use, the rear 220 rim did look like a wet noodle and had to be switched out for a 517. however, the front one has outlasted my Judy, so I think I'm gonna stick with it until the end. If it lasts me awhile, I might even get another, because of the lightness. I'm no weanie, but its stupid to put a heavier part on when a lighter one will do.
QUESTION: WHOSE SHIMANO DISK BRAKES FELL OFF AT MT SNOW LAST WEEK, 6/22-25/00? IF YOU REMEMBER, PLEASE EMAIL ME. IT WAS A PRO WOMAN DOWNHILLER.

[Nov 09, 1999]
steve
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

light

too light

i really hate to enter another bad review of a product, but i just talked to a friend who took my old front wheel to use while he had a new one built. the rear 220 i had failed in less than 3 months of use and the it was spoke bed failure where the nipples were pulling and bulging out of the rims. the front just failed catastrophically, but fortunately he is okay. these rims should be used with great caution!!!!!

none this inferior

[Nov 09, 1999]
Mike G

Strength:

not too heavybetter for up front (no argument there)Mavic qualityI expected it to last 2 months, its been almost 3 years.

do they even make these rims anymore?Mavic has a bad rap for having quality rims that last one season (if that)

I wrecked the rear in a crash after riding on it for 1 year. Im still running the front rim after almost 3 years! trued it maybe 4 times. I think its a mighty fine front rim yall. And I ride hard like a freakin' animal and race alot and get aggressive on the DH sections. I weigh 160, I dont jump much at all (im sure this helps the rim last long). Not too bad cause im murder on equipment, murder I tell ya. Im running a 517 now in the rear and im hitting rock garden hardcore, hardcore i tell you (in jersey and upstate NY).
So far all I see is a thinning braking surface on the 220 but thats expected after almost 3 years. My advice to all yall is ride smooth, you'll be a faster XC mountain biker and preserve equipment longer. It took me a broken wrist to learn that one. A definite blessing in disguise. 4 stars for quality, minus one star cause its not what you would call a super-high end rim.
I like it.
I threw a Judy 100 up front and im bombing stuff mad. I owe it to the shock for my aggrssive descents. Off the topic I feel that all XC hardtail bikes should have long travel shocks. It makes the ride so much more enjoyable. I race on my longtravel shock too, without incident. Only podium for me yall.

Sun O* XC...(burly, noticeably heavier)Mavic 217