Mavic 217 SUP Rim

Mavic 217 SUP Rim

Mavic 217 SUP

[Jun 29, 2003]
Paul

Strength:

Light, strong.

None yet but apparently I'm in the minority.

I've used the 217 Sup hard as a drive wheel with a Shimano LX hub for 4 or 5 years. Large river bank rocks only navigable at speed, roots, stumps, plenty of air time. Replaced the rear 237 early on when it potato chipped jumping over a log. The 217 has remained true for a long time.

Key seems to be having a good wheel builder build it. He told me the factory built (assembly line) wheels are weaker and that a wheel built by a good builder is much stronger. So far that has seemed to proven true. I just inspected for defects and everything still looks good.

If I weren't able to get a really good builder to lace 'em up I might look to another rim based on a lot of other reviews I've read.

Mavic 237

[Aug 24, 2003]
Keith Denley

Strength:

Very few other than lightness and fashionably looking good .

I have had very bad experience of Mavic rims in general and the 217SUP in particular. They crack at the spoke holes due to metal fatigue. The spoke pulls out through the rim, even with professionally hand built and trimmed wheels, DESPITE the double eyelets which connect inner and outer walls of the rim box section. The eyelets simply crack in half, putting all the load on one wall of the rim, which is not up to the task. Consequently, Mavic rims are not worth their price. Also, they dent easily on any trail with even moderate size pebbles, despite massive tyres correctly inflated. They are far too narrow & weak for any MTB.

I have read other peoples bad comments on MAVIC rims and agree with them. I feel that, like a racing car engine, Mavic build for a short life at high speed. They are Tour de France people who have crossed into MTBing and think that they can get away with thin wall narrow box sections. They are NOT for the guy who wants to assemble a Bomb-proof dream bike, ride it off road and keep it for a long time. I have had no trouble at all with any other part of my gear, - not even one single spoke. In short, I cannot understand why people trust Mavic in the off road world. They should not be allowed to produce and sell such crap at inflated prices

Alessa, Weinmann.

[Aug 13, 2007]
Mike Day

Strength:

reliability and strength.

none so far.

These were and still are the first ever SUP 217's to reach the North East of the UK in the early 90's, bought and haggled direct from the mavic reps car after he had showed them round. I built them up (I used to be and from time to time still am a wheel builder) paying close attention to even spoke tension (use a gauge) and gradually tightened them over the next year! since then they have not been trued or re tensioned ONCE! in at least 15000miles over 14 years, I am a lightish weight @160lbs rider but above all have them built by some-one who knows what they are doing, and then pick a good line down hill!.... eyelet cracking is often caused by uneven loose tension causing stress risers and rim wall wear is done by small stones in brake pads in a few seconds! stop and remove them! the reason they last .... they were built with care! applies to all wheels.

Mavic 231cd's/ Campag/ Atac/ various others

[Mar 21, 2001]
Jay

Strength:

Light
Stay Trued

Rattling pin deal sucks, but fixed with super glue

Good rims that have held up well so far. The rattling pin deal is kind of a pain until you take the time to fix it. I don't know, two years on these babies and they are as true as the day I bought the wheel. What else to say? They work for their intended use: cross country racing. If you do big jumps, you will bend them. Also, lets face it folks, rims take a lot of abuse and fail from time to time. End of story. Half of the battle is building a good wheel. If you get two years out of a rim you are doing well.

Mostly Mavic, but Sun also

[Jan 09, 2001]
Van Hemsley

Strength:

Holds up for anything. It stayed true even after a road 2 miles on a flat tire!

there is no weakness

its strong

i dont care

[May 02, 2000]
mike sipley

Strength:

just that, STRENGTH!! i've been through a number of front rims but this one holds up. one year of hard, no suspension riding and still true (sweet wheel builder though)

none as yet

buy, buy, buy. very happy with it holding up to much pounding. cash well spent.
i'm a solid 215lbs with no suspension and it loves me.

power beam

[Apr 30, 2000]
Euan

Strength:

Strong as a bull on steroids, lokks the biz, kick ass rim!

tad pricy

Hell yeah! I can't bunny-hop my way out of a paperbag, so my back rim gets a workout. 1 year o' hell, and she's still truer than a priest!

nuttin

[Apr 07, 2000]
Dan

Strength:

Light weight and sweet looks.

Inconsistent looking weld.

Sunset is cool. I have never had to true these rims after 2 years (~600+ miles). I give them 5 flamin' Huffys.

Why try anything else?

[Apr 10, 2000]
Rick

Strength:

There light

They bend fast

I thought these rims were suppossed to be really good. went out put a nuke proof front hub and XT rear hub. ONE HARD TRAIL RIDE AND THE BACK RIM IS LIKE 3 INCHES OUT OF TRUE.

I am a heavy wieght but come on. I just went out and bought a rear Deep V velocity and fron areo heat lets see if they hold up

Mavic 221's

[Mar 23, 2000]
mike taylor badass adventure rider

Strength:

looks good, light, don't know what that guy compalining of the weight was riding but i want one! I had it a month, good rim, but i got a barbed wire flat and bashed it. oh well, got me home. I am too picky though so I stacked it out back.

hard to find in sunset anodized.
Those are so cool!

if i were you I would go buy it! The sidewalls are straightenable with linemans dikes and a soft cloth if you ever ding one, but it takes quite a lot of skill to put one back in proper round/hop. Run a lot of spoke tension on this rim it can handle it with the eyelets. if you can, since it IS a little flexier than steel, use long-threaded dbl butted spokes and locknuts (adds about 1oz to your wheel big deal, but makes it impossible to untrue short of a 10foot ledge onto a sidewalk!

221, bonti mustang asym very good!