Mavic 217 Rims Rim

Mavic 217 Rims Rim

Mavic 217 Rims

[Feb 14, 2002]
Nathan

Strength:

Light... kind of

Sidewall wear, far too narrow, FLexY, weak

I had for 2 months and the sidewalls are paper thin. THat is a problem. That's all I got to say right now cause I'm tired.

None worth mentioning

[Feb 02, 2004]
M Snow

Strength:

Inexpensive, came with the bike.

flimsy, folds up easy,

These are cheap flimsy wheels to put on your bike when your selling it. Keep the good wheels for your new ride. I am not a young, heavy nor hard rider and I tacoed these with very little effort in a soft corner. It should have washed out the tire instead of folding up the rim. It also doesn't add any value since its made in France.

Velocity VXC Disc specific, Velocity Aero Heat, Mavic 223,

[Mar 01, 2007]
Daniel Johnson

Strength:

-Strong
-Light weight

none so far

These wheels have been great. No problems whatsoever. I dont ride super hard... so I cant really say I have abused them or seriously put them to the test. But for around the town and the occasional ride down mountains in Colorado... these wheels have been fabulous.

Alex Rims

[Oct 21, 2002]
Markus

Strength:

Lightweight, strong

Tends to wear quickly, esp. using Shimano V-Brakes w/orig. Pads. Had bad squealing action as well

I prefer the 217's over the 517 for two reasons:
The ores are fitted better (they go thru both layers).
The alloy does not break as easy. I had two 517's split around the diameter after 10-15'000 km. If you ride much, take the extra weight and use 217's.

217's are perfect for rear wheel. For front I recommend 517's. Bottom line: 5 years-15'000 km and still going strong--that's got to be at least 5 of the chilis!!!

Mavic X-517, X-138, 221

[Apr 15, 2003]
Erik

Let me add my name to the list of those who say these suck. I'm a mid-level freerider and they bend left and right. I've replaced both front and back twice and have had them trued countless times. Don't waste your money on them (if you can still find them).

Suck

[Aug 07, 2001]
Daryl

Strength:

Wheelset runs smooth on the steepest of climbs. Good value (back in 1998 when I bought them). More than enough rim for your lightweight, light riding weekend warrior/commuter.

Braking surface degrades easily. Brake fading is a problem, a short term fix for which is rubbing a scouring pad [those rough green things used to scrub pots and pans] lightly across the surface to remove brakedust/dirt/grime.

These rims are no longer in production and have been replaced by the X517 XC series. If you find these for cheap, don't get them! There are better wheelsets/rims available these days. Mavic has greatly improved on their design since the 217 design rim.

I've had these for over three years only because I don't plan to upgrade to disc. They'll suffice for the XC/street riding I perform daily. Not the sturdiest on rough terrain, but can easily handle any uphill ascent you dare to climb.

They've been re-trued 4 times and have had two spokes replace on the rear wheel (I basically threw a cone wrench at it. *TWANG* two bent spokes.) I learned that keeping your spokes properly tensioned is s-u-p-e-r-i-m-p-o-r-t-a-n-t. Check them after a few rides, and especially if you hear spoke noise coming from your wheels. Fix it immediately. This will extend the life of your wheels.

These are my first and only off-road specific wheelset.

[Dec 31, 1999]
Dave

Strength:

they roll

these rims do not stay true,brake surface wears quickly,rims cracks at eyelets.

These rims are not good for agressive riding in rock gardens.Mavic 217s might better suit X/c racers or paved bike path riders. No stars.

221 and bontrager mustangs

[Apr 09, 1999]
Chaz
Cross-Country Rider

man, f*uck mavic. they suck. i got a 217 last july, and it was WAY out of true after 3 rides. i let that slide, cuz rims need a little break in period. i gave it to my shop(competitive edge, if you're in the area), which builds great wheels. they retrued it very nicely, but it still got bent up pretty quick. i got it trued again, and again it got bent. so i said f*uck it, i'll ride with a somewhat out of true wheel. then, at the Mt. Snow race, the mavic reps trued it the day before my race, and after the race it was out of true. i was like, what the dilly with this?!?!?!?! well, so i rode with a bad rear wheel for awhile, and then i got new ones. LX hubs, dt double butted 14/15 spokes, and 217's, cuz i got the entire wheelset for 90$. i think my first wheel was just a bad build, making it mavic's fault for sending out a bad rim. but still dude, these new rims havent been holding up all that great. they're better than the first 217's i had, but they still ain't all that great. from what i hear, bonty's seem to be great. i've never ridden them. acually, my bike came with Matrix rims, and those held up great. i liked 'em alot. the first 217 i got is a 1, the next set is a 3, making it a 2. dont get mavics. we got to stop giving the french more power in the mtb world anyway. they already whoop our ass in the races. go america!!!!

[Sep 12, 1998]
dennis
racer

The new 217 is a improvement on the already perfect 517. The rim is very rigid and stiff. The colors are nice but not too inportend. the great disadvantage is the ceramic brake surfaces so if you want to buy these tims buy the X217 CD.The rim is a very light wieght and very solid.

[Mar 26, 1998]
Chris Cuylle
cross-country rider

I upgraded to a 217 on the rear wheel of my bike last fall. I'm a big (185 lbs) guys and ride fairly hard and haven't even had to get these trued at all. Theyt came as a recommendation from my local bike shop and I'm very satisfied with their performance so far.