DT Swiss XR 4.2d Disc Rim

• ERD: 544 mm
  • ETRTO: 559 x 19
  • Material: Aluminium

Edison   Cross Country Rider [Jul 20, 2017]
Strength:

Light , durable and great for xc riders

I am using these for about one year , and i have not seen any weakness

Great rims , with great price and light weight , durable for xc (not for downhill)

matthew parker   [Nov 03, 2013]
Strength:

I feel there a very solid rim ive had them for almost 6 years and had no problems with them ive done 100s of miles on them never had to true these yet...

none what I know

if you have a chance get these. used to use mavic rims before these ive mounted these on aireal hubs quite fast rolling I got these from evolution cycles in Eastbourne who built these up for me

Titus   [Jul 29, 2012]
Strength:

Haven't failed. Have had these for about 4 years and are still running true.

Have noticed that the black paint around the eyelets is starting to lift off the surface in some areas which is probably corrosion from riding in coastal areas where seawater has got on them.

I've had these on Hope ProII hubs for about 4-5 years, used on three different bikes. Have had no issues with them so far. They have a couple of minor dings from hitting a curb or rock, but have stayed true. I think keeping good spoke tension on the wheels makes the difference to the lifespan of most rims. I would say these are more suited to XC/trail use, but I've ridden lots of rough trails and smallish jumps and they have stood up to the the punishment -though I have noticed the limits of their strength on some landings. Definately a decent, light rim.

Similar Products Used: Mavic D321, X717
ABFGiant   [May 25, 2012]
Strength:

Light, holds tubeless well (after rim strip install)

I switched to this rim with DT 240 Hubs and Nevegal tires from my cheapo stock Giant wheelset. This is obviously a HUGE improvement so may be hard for me to notice any weaknesses, but I can say that it has improved my climbing and overall handling tremendously. These rims are super light and seem to still take a beating pretty well. I ride cross-country/XC and am around 155 lbs. A buddy of mine is around 220lbs and uses these with not problems as well. Highly recommend these rims for anyone wanting to follow the weight weenie path or intend to race. Probably wouldn't suggest these for downhill or freeride though, especially if you're a heavier rider.

raf   [Apr 30, 2012]
Strength:

overall manifacturing

found crack in prossimity of rim welding after only 300 km... front wheel....only xc

more straight needed

Inuitbiker   Weekend Warrior [Jan 25, 2012]
Strength:

Great rim for the front, light, easy to go ghetto tubeless

Weak rim for the rear wheel, easily dented by rocks, soft material

Great light front wheel for most of your mtb needs, except for FR/DH. Really easy to go tubeless with Maxxis tires. However the weakness was that the rims dented very easily. Also, it is a weak rim for a rear wheel if you don't ride like a midwestern colorado fireroad racer. Even with proper tension, I had to true each time after the bike park or hitting a rocky/jump trail.

Similar Products Used: mavic 717
Clive on the cliff   Cross Country Rider [Jan 21, 2011]
Strength:

Fairly light. Stayed true when landed on rock edges or high roots.

A label has peeled off slightly. But then it's been through some abuse.

Light enough for me. I normally do XC riding, but now and again slam the wheels into rocks, roots and ruts. I'm riding a hardtail and they have remained true and tense. I could probably do with checking the spoke tension with some precision after 2 year, but nothing seems loose at the mo. Considering the amount of neglect I've shown, they seem good to me. I probably wouldn't do the Red-Bull Rampage on them.

Similar Products Used: Mavics
mazta   Weekend Warrior [Oct 26, 2010]
Strength:

Durable

Soft

Nice Rims Good for XC trails and All Mountain

Similar Products Used: Mavic 221
kirjo   Weekend Warrior [Mar 27, 2010]
Strength:

Light! These things produced a very light build with XTR M970 disc hubs and Revolution spokes. Worked extremely well up until this weekend.

Weak. Clipped the edge of a small anthill and the front wheel folded and jammed into my forks, sending me sailing through the air and into a tree.

I really did like this wheelset. Built with XTR M970 disc hubs, DT swiss revolution spokes and pro-lock nipples by chain reaction cycles. I got them for my cannondale scalpel. I had them checked after a few hard rides, spoke tension was still perfect and wheels were true. The front wheel failed catastrophically this weekend, but I guess it's my fault for using a race-built wheelset for hard all-mountain riding (which is mostly my style). I am shocked however at how easily the rim gave way. At least it will look good hanging in my garage, and is something to laugh about over a few beers. The bottom line is use the rim for it's intended purpose and it should hold up, provided that you don't hit anything awkward at speed.

Similar Products Used: Mavic XM 819's laced to DT 240s hubs with revolution spokes. These things are bullet-proof.
Fiskare   Cross Country Rider [Feb 18, 2010]
Strength:

Light weight, wheel remains true despite abuse.

Seems like the material is a little soft, bends easy, but bends back too.

They are soft, but they only weigh 400 grams. They also reform well, so with some metal smithing you will get normal life. Properly laced I think they are the right compromise for aggressive XC, but not FR or DH.