Bontrager Rims Rim

Bontrager BCX1 Rims

Alex   Cross Country Rider [Jun 07, 2003]
Strength:

They held up for a year somehow

Very soft material. Rim walls were eaten up by the brake pads just after one season. They go out of true very easily. Recently one spoke pulled out its nipple right through the socket.

I wouldn't buy these rims any more.
Soft rim material. Brake pads wear down rim wall very quickly.
These rims go out of true after about 200-300 miles.
They might be good for weekend riders.
I give them just two flaming chilis.

Similar Products Used: Alex rims and other cheap Chinese POS.
astro   Weekend Warrior [Nov 29, 2001]
Strength:

MAVIC/BONTRAGER MA40 - MB. Indestructible! Light weight.

Difficult to get tyres on and off, sometimes IMPOSSIBLE!

I've had these 36h rims for 12 years and they've stayed pretty well true for all that time. They were handbuilt onto Shimano LX hubs in 1989 and apart from the odd retensioning have done thousands of miles trouble free. The sidewalls are still ok, if a little scored. There is a slight dent in the bead area of one rim, but it doesn't affect too much. The spoke bed is a bit too shallow and makes it difficult to mount and remove tyres, The narrowness makes it necessary to use v-brakes with a parallelogram design, otherwise the pad can hit the tyre sidewall. I wish they still made these things, cos they'd make an awesome disc specific rim!

Similar Products Used: MA6, WTB Powerbeam, various mavics.
Joe   Weekend Warrior [Mar 06, 2002]
Strength:

Can be built into a light weight wheel.
Side wall has held up in foul weather
Going on 5yrs of abuse.

I cant attribute this directly to the rim but the front was built with radially lacing and the wheel has quite a bit of side to side flex

I have the Red Labels that came with the Santa Cruz XT kit in 98. The rear is laced 2x on the drive side and radial on the non drive to an XT hub. The front is radial laced to a white industies tracker. Im a 175lb aggressive rider and I have had Zero problems with the rims. They have held true and the side wall has not worn out even riding in a lot of wet weather. The wheels were well built and properly tensioned from Santa Cruz which I think has been a major factor in their reliability. I would not go with radial lacing in the future because I get brake rub due to side to side flex on the front wheel. All in all I have to give these rims/wheelset high marks.

Similar Products Used: Mavic 217, 221, 517
James MacIsaac   weekend warrior [Jul 17, 1997]

I have a Weinnman Bontrager BCX 2, and BCX 3 on my mountian bike. During the week, my bike is my main transportation around campus. I go cross country on the weekends (lots of climbing muddy hills). Those rims have gone through three years of constant snow, salt, cold, mud, curbs, and potholes. I've never had a problem (or any service done on them). They must have been well engineered. How are the new Mustangs anyone?

Allen   cross-country rider [Jul 11, 1997]

Hey, its kind of cool seing a review by Keith, he doesn't even sound grumpy. I have the BCX rimd which came on my Santa Cruz Heckler. I've been pounding them with no remorse for the past 3 months, and other that minor truing each wheel once, I haven't had a single problem. I should add I'm not a real heavy guy, going about 160 with a full camelback. If I upgrade rims at some point( I want a spare set w/studded tires for winter riding Yeehaw!) I'll definetely check out the new Bontrager rims. I was going to give these rims 5 chilis, but since Keith says the new ones are better, I'll give them 4.

Tim Kalina   cross-country rider [Jul 11, 1997]

I've had the old BCX1 rims on one of my bikes for nearly 5 years now. Nither front nor rear have ever needed anything more than a very minor truing through all that time. I'm 175 lbs and ride and race on some very rough stuff. The wheels were built by on of the very best wheel builders here in Chicago. I've had folks tell me that these rims had a flaw in that they had no spoke hole eyelets. I've never found the lack of them to be a problem. If you have a very good wheel builder, it isn't important to have or not have eyelets. I have a new Schwinn XT Homegrown and I find the Mavic 220 rims that came with it (they have eyelets) need more attention than my old BCXs ever did. When I have a new wheelset built up, I will surely check out the latest Bontrager rims. And I'm still putting miles on the old bike with the BCX rims. Still as true as ever!

Sho Nuff   Weekend Warrior [Apr 15, 2000]

I'm surprised to see the positive reviews the old BCX's are getting. I taco'd the front a month after getting it. But that was probably as much my fault as the rim. The BCX I have on the rear has been impossible to true from day one. Had it completely torn down and rebuilt, and still can't true it. After several years of fiddling with it after every ride just to get it to clear the brakes pads is getting real old. Definitely time to upgrade. Considering the other comments posted here, I'm going to assume I just got a pair of lemons.

Mark Stewart   Weekend Warrior [May 02, 1999]

The rim: BCX-1Yeah, these're getting old, but I have never had a problem with 'em. Well okay, I did replace the rear, but that was due to my own foolishness (bunnyhopped one of those concrete things in the parking lot and came down right on top of it HARD). I run 'em front and rear laced up to 15/16 gauge DT competition spooks 'n' alloy nips. They're three crossed onto a set of old deore dx hubs (rear converted to eight speed with an lx freehub body). I have to replace my front wheel as I have a disc brake now and I know where there is one more of these left. I think this rim will be a great choice for xc disc wheel because it is a single-wall design with a BEEFY spoke bed. It should hold up well to the stresses of hub braking because of that. Mr. Bontrager, (I'm very impressed to see a manufacturer on the board) do me a favor and build some more of these. I'll buy at LEAST one. Thanks for many good off road miles on these 'uns.

Trond Olsen   cross-country rider [Oct 27, 1998]

I purchased the 98 BCX Red Label Rims this spring built on 98 XTR hubs and DT spokes, and I haven't been disappointed. My present bike came with Spins and I just had to replace them. First of all they are heavy, which is OK, but they feel extrememly dead when riding. The BCX however, is more lively than anything I have tried over the past 10 years of riding. I am 200 lbs and they still feel responsive when I hammer or cut the corners. I was afraid of having the red label rim on my rear after having read Keith's comments on his website, but it has worked very well. 5 chilies for simple and incredible design these rims features.

ryan   racer [Jul 14, 1998]

I have the valiant rims. they are in one word SWEET. They are extremely light,
I cant really coment on the strenght or duraability of these rims because i've only had them for about a week. valiant rims laced up with xtr hubs are lighter
than crossmax and thats hard to beat. Whats is even more amazing is that you can get hubs that are lighter than xtr. I will review again at the end of the summer to check the strenght.