Bontrager Mustang Tubeless Rim

Mustang Tubeless

The ability to run tubeless with standard 32h hubs; Mustang Tubeless rims can be built up like traditional rims and used as tubeless if strips and valves are installed. These rims are compatible with all known tubeless tires on the market, or can be used with standard rimstrip or the sealing strip with standard tires with tubes.

Ryan Sansom   All Mountain Rider [Dec 02, 2017]
Strength:

Ruining rides

Everything

Worst wheels I have ever ridden on. Constantly breaking spokes and the wheel never stays true. The wheel even wraps on regular road riding. Extremely disappointed and will never ever recommend or use these wheels ever again. They honestly make me not want to ride my bike because of how crappy they are.

Bike Mike   Cross Country Rider [Sep 30, 2017]
Strength:

No issues in the first 2 seasons when the product is new

Warp easily. Often back at the bike shop for truing the rim and replacing broken spokes on the rear rim. Also rims are on the heavy side of the marketplace.

meh...came with the Trek Superfly I got. Now I need to replace the rear rim but not with another Mustang with so many other more reliable options.

Wayne   Cross Country Rider [Dec 04, 2016]
Strength:

Look good, light weight, tubeless ready on a stock 2015 trek X-caliber.

Spokes break every couple of rides. I weigh 170 and I have broken 2-3 spokes. Ran a 2.2 sized tire and burped at 30psi during a race. Internal rim width is 19mm so cornering felt very squirmish on a 2.0 and 2.2 tire. They had to be trued a couple of times.

I would stay away from these unless you want a true excuse to get out of a ride because you have to go to the bike shop to have them respoked, tensiones and trued.

Mike Mathis   Cross Country Rider [Jul 31, 2015]
Strength:

Match the color of my bike

Spokes keep breaking on rear wheel.

Bought a Trek Superfly 9.6 with Mustang 29in Elite TLR wheels, and have broken two rear spokes while riding . I weigh around 102 Kg's (225lbs) and ride 100% paved roads around Thailand. I noticed the spokes diameter is very small compared to the replacement spoke the bike shop put in.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Cross One 26 in wheels
Squash   Cross Country Rider [Sep 02, 2009]
Strength:

Solid construction, reasonable weight, simple tubless set up.

not pretty, the finish and weld aren't all the great to look at, but they work. Pretty is as pretty does.

These rims are not pretty, but as above, pretty is as pretty does. I built these wheels personally by hand, laced the rims to a set of Hope XC hubs with DT Comp spokes and alloy nipples. Total weight was 1726g. Not bad for the price of the components. The wheel built up very nicely, they were surprisingly round out of the box and required minimal truing and run out adjustment. They've proven to be quite stiff and durable for an XC wheel. In the two years I've been riding them I've had 0 problems. Yes tires can be a bit tough to get seated, and some tires are difficult to get on the rim. But I've found that to be true with some tubed tire and rim combinations as well. Ever try to get any tire on a Sun Ryhno lite rim? I have run these wheels tubeless with the Bontrager rim strip and valves, with Maxxis Advantages, Kenda Nevegals, Continental Mountain King and Vertical Pros, and Panaracer Fire XC Pros, all kevlar beads with no problems. The bead hook of the rim is UST standard and quite agressive. It holds both UST and standard tires well. I've never had a burp or a roll off when reasonable tire pressuer is used and maintained. And I've found them to be an ideal wheel for running standard tires tubeless, even better than a "ture" UST wheel. They can be tough to get a tire evenly seated on the rim. However I've found the trick is to use a compressor, and to slowly push the pressure up to as high as 60 psi until the bead pops into place, then deflate to a sane pressure. This may have to be done two or three times to get a new never before mounted tire to seat completely. But once done the tire is securely held on the rim. I give them a 5 for value, but only a 3 for overall due to the not so nice finish. But peformance wise they are quite good. You can pay a whole lot more for rims that don't perform any better, they just look nicer.

Similar Products Used: Mavic 719 w/stans conversion
lextalionis   Weekend Warrior [Feb 17, 2009]
Strength:

Very Durable, Stay True

I don't really see any i had no problem mounting them at all

They work well. I like them, never had a problem mounting tires.

Similar Products Used: Mavic, Ritchey
Rich   Cross Country Rider [Aug 19, 2003]
Strength:

Machined sidewalls

Weak, weak, weak. They just do NOT stay true

After using these rims for 6 months now, I can say that I would NOT recommend them to my worst enemy. I had these hoops laced up to CK Classics with 14/15 spokes. Im a 140 LB, strictly XC rider. The local terrain is all sandy trails without many rocks. Jumping crickets get bigger air than I do. Still, these rim just DO-NOT stay true. The rear rim went out after one mile. Had them re-trued and then did a local 40 mile ON ROAD bike tour. At one of the tour stops, I looked at the rear rim and it was a mess. They cannot stay true ON THE ROAD!!! Before you think "it was the builder", please note that I had the wheel torn down and re-built by a second builder locally and THEN had them examined by a third builder. But the problem persists.

Bottom line: these rims are garbage. Look elsewhere.

Similar Products Used: OEM Rolf Sattelites
Beland   Racer [Jul 10, 2003]
Strength:

Great all around cross country wheel.

None known.

for all you riders who think that you know this rim; you don't. My advice to those who have trouble with putting on tires is learn to put them on! I have used pythons, karmas, explorers all on this rim and had no trouble with any of them. The big trick though is to ride regular tubed tires tubless with stans. My favorite is pythons golds. Works purfect and you save almost a pound of weight from tubless tires. All tubless tires on any tubless rim will be hard to put on but, you do not have to go that rought.

Similar Products Used: Mavic 3.1, crossmax
Alex Watson   Cross Country Rider [Sep 05, 2007]
Strength:

good looks, tubeless, light

none found so far

i just built these wheels today and i am running conti explorer pros on these rims. continentals are known for being hard to put on rims and everyone on this board is saying that these rims are impossible to work with but they are super easy, a tubeless rim is going to be naturally harder to get the tire mounted and seated. but so far these rims are super easy to work with. if anyone cant put tires on these rims they need to read up on how to mount a tubeless tire. oh yea, i have not rode on these tires yet so ill post another review on the ride.

Similar Products Used: mavic, alex, bontrager, ritchey
Mike   Racer [Mar 09, 2002]
Strength:

UST rim that can be built with a standard hub

I am a big fan of Tubeless tires. I've ridden my Cross Max UST for almost one year and have had absolutely zero problems. I've experimented with different tires and keep coming back to the Hutchinson Pythons. I like the tubeless system because I can run 30 - 35 PSI and get great traction and a soft ride on a hard tail. Without these tires, I would never be able to ride a hard tail. Unless you have ridden the UST, you won’t believe how much faster they roll. There is a lot of misinformation about the tubeless system. My experience has been great. I followed the instructions and use a lot of simple green soap when mounting the tires. I initially pump them up to 60 PSI so the bead seals well. They hold air and I have yet to get a flat with the Pythons. This is saying a lot since I live in the desert and have always used slime to avoid numerous flats. The tubeless tires must be self sealing. Best of all, I have NEVER had a pinch flat. I have so much confidence in these tires, that I only carry a big air on rides in case I get a slow leak. Anyway, the bottom line is I bought these rims because I wanted to ride tubeless tires on my single speed. I was told that the Bontrager had problems and would not hold air. I spoke to a factory rep and he admitted that the first rims did have an issue with the sealing strip but it had been fixed. He said they have a life time warranty and would stand behind the product. I gave them a try and I’m ecstatic. The UST are awesome for a hard tail single speed. The wheel feels stiff and true (32 spokes). I mounted the Pythons and they installed and held air without any problems. I’ve ridden these hard and so far so good. So, if you want to use your existing hubs and build up a set of tube less wheels, Bontrager offers a great alternative to the pre built wheels.