Bontrager Mustang OSB Rim

• Time tested tough rear ATB rim
  • Offset spoke bed (OSB) design minimizes dish for a stronger, longer lasting wheel
  • Patented welded and reinforced seam with machined sidewalls
  • 542 ERD

• User Reviews (11)

Alexey   Cross Country Rider [Nov 01, 2008]
    Strength:

Did not true a single time in 5 years. ASYM design works well!

Naked aluminum outer surface gets dark and greasy with time, uncleanable. Retro design.

Mine are Ceramic with XTR v-brakes. Everything else is the same. Had a very good initial build with Ritchey WCS hubs and DT 2.0/1.8 spokes (32h).

I am 5'10'', 155 lbs, do not ride mountains but bunnyhop a lot in the city as well as on rooty trails. I would call it aggressive XC.

No problem with the wheel stamina at all. After approx 3000 kilometres the sidewalls are in perfect condition, and I ride in the range of +30 to -15 Celcius.
    The braking is not perfect, but it has nothing to do with the rim design and construction, so 5 chilis for all.

P.S. Heavier riders may find the rims not perfectly bulletproof, but this would not be the rim fault, IMHO, taking into account the rim's weight.

Similar Products Used: Ritchey WCS (unwelded joint, disaster with v-brakes)
    Brian White   Weekend Warrior [Jul 03, 2007]
    Strength:

Wheels have been bullet proof for bike commute and off road. Have been, and still is, true and straight. I weigh 200+ and have not had a problem UNTIL .............

Cracks around spoke eyelets, (8 of the 32), on the drive side of the OCB rim.

On my last downhill blast with my full suspension cohorts, (4,300 ft in 13 mi), I noticed the rim rubbing the left inner chain stay. When I was washing the bike and wiping it down, I noticed cresent shaped cracks around the spoke ringlets on the right side of the rim face. Wheel is unstable and no longer safe to ride. I was suprised that this rear rim failed me after so much good riding.

Similar Products Used: Going to try the Sun Rhyno Lites.
    Randy   Cross Country Rider [Dec 27, 2003]

I agree wholeheartedly with the previous reviewers about the weak sidewalls. Hit a waterbar on my last ride and the sidewall bent out. Really haven't ridden them all that much since I bought them. Never had this problem with other rims, notably Mavics. I certainly wouldn't buy these again, though I don't think they make them anymore for tubed tires.

Will   [Oct 21, 2002]
    Strength:

Asymmetrical design leads to good spoke bracing.

Pathetically weak sidewalls! Razor thin sidewalls = very bad design. After putting about 200 miles on this thing the sidewalls were caving in from braking and the rim would literally cave in under a tire lever! When I inflated the tire, the pressure on the bead would cause the rim to noticably bulge out. Weak weak weak weak.

I got this rim at a shop I once worked in for next to nothing because nobody else would buy it (weenies wanted Mavics, smart trail riders and DHers rode Suns). I laced it up with radial on the non drive and 3 cross on the drive side and used it as a spare for my hardtail. It always stayed perfectly true and round, the sidewalls just quickly failed under the basic stresses that all rims must endure. Take it from a bike mechanic with 8 years of experience: don't buy this rim if you use tire levers or rim brakes because it just isn't up to it. I'll stick to Sun from now on.

thebronze   Cross Country Rider [Jan 27, 2004]
    Strength:

Pretty good combo of strength, light weight, Offset, and durability

Sidewalls dent easy

Were good for about 6 months, then I hit a rock in a creek crossing and wham, that was it. Big ass dent in the sidewall, tore my python lite too....oh well
    I got the whole super stock set for $120

Similar Products Used: 217, 517, sun rlyte, dt xr4.1d
    joebt   [Mar 25, 2003]
    Strength:

break well at speed

sidewalls very weak, replacing them after only a few good rides in the woods on a full suspension bike. bends all over, needed to be trued 2 or 3 times, once after two months of just road riding, very disappointed i wasted my hard earned money on these and took the suggestion of my LBS, because not only were they heavy but the side walls have nice sized dents in at least five places. Making it worse is that i run high tire pressure.

not worth the money, my stock rims lasted longer on fisher wahoo, with more abuse and more riding time.

Sunshine   Cross Country Rider [Jan 11, 2003]
    Strength:

this rim stays true and round.

weak sidewalls

I did not have to true this wheel very often but I beleive the sidewalls on this rim are weak. I run a Tioga DH 2.1 on the rear with ample pressure and I have two spots on the rim outer rim wall that are collapsed. I pounded them out but smooth braking has been lost. Also, the spoke nipples are pulling out of the rim (the spoke tension had been checked when the wheels arrived pre-built).

Similar Products Used: sun rhyno-lite, mavic 317
    roger   Weekend Warrior [Jul 30, 2002]
    Strength:

Have stayed true, fairly light

at 200+lbs and not afraid to hit hard I give these some abuse and the onlt thing I see differand is the brake wall doesn't show those nice groove it had and the ink on the stikers are washing away (I know,that's really bad )
    will buy them again
    have osb on rear and regular up front
    love em

Similar Products Used: none
    Lo-Fi Superfly   Cross Country Rider [Jun 10, 2005]
    Strength:

Very Durable

I'm afraid I have to disagree with most of the other reviewers. I have had the same pair for five seasons of abuse and they STILL work. I'd never had the same rims for more than one year before I built these up. I never even had the wheelset trued (which probably speaks more about the the builder than the rims). I ride hard too. Lots of technical stuff and lots of 100-mile and 24-hour/2 person races.

Has the design changed since I bought my rims a few years back, or did I just get lucky enough to not wear my stuff down as fast as everybody else?