Bontrager Maverick Rim

Bontrager Maverick Rim

Extra-tall 13mm machined braking surface for easy brake pad set-up and better radial strength. Welded joint and stainless steel eyelets. Single-cavity cross section.

[Jan 19, 2009]
MikeR315
Downhiller

Strength:

Ummm...it lasted for the first couple drop offs at least

WEAK!!!!!!!!!!!!
My rear rim split right down the center of the rim

It thankfully broke within the first year, so the Bike Rack replaced it for free. I'm going to upgrade to Rhythm Comps. If you're doing anything over three to four foot drop offs on the trails, then I wouldn't recommend these wheels. They might hold up on some light XC, though.

Bontrager Race tubeless Ready

[Oct 30, 2001]
xcstar

I got them on my new trek 6500! thay r varry light!i bent the rear rim on a curb but i had the tire on like 35 PSI and i waz going pre fast ppl say it waz so small that it wazent considered a dent! over all there varry strong!

[Nov 13, 1998]
Richard Radway
cross-country rider

These are the best rims i have ever had. They came with my 98 big sur. I am a 200lb rider from canada and i crash from time to time. One put me in the hostpital and i have yet to bend these rims. I would highly recomend them and i would purchase this product again if i should ever need to.

[Sep 26, 1998]
jb
cross-country rider

came stock on my 98 fisher aquila (great bike), and hae had no problems. Had them for awhile and are still true after 400 off-road rocky miles. lateral stiffness is great with an 8 speed casette, a good solid wheel. breaking suface is great, and the rim has held it's shape though 3 hard impact pinch flats on rocks. because the nipples are offset make sure you get some wide rim tape when you replace the stock stuff to make sure your nipples are covered. kudos to keith, great design, great quality, keep up the good work.

[Jan 09, 2000]
John
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Light.

Weak. Flimsy. Frail. Did I mention that are not strong?

Don't plan on riding any rocky, technical terrain with these rims. I weigh 190, ride rather fast and catch some air. These just fell apart after six months. When you pick out a light wheelset, it almost always comes back to haunt you.

Mavic 221, 217, others

[Jun 03, 2001]
klam

Strength:

Very cool red anodized finish, asymmetrical rear rim to reduce dish really strengthens wheel, very strong rims that resist going out of true. Welded seam and machined brake track.

On the heavier side, 450g.

These rims are excellent durable general XC riding wheels that have pleasantly surprised me since the beginning. I have had these rims for over two years now and they've only needed to be minorly trued once or twice during the entire time. My particular set came OEM with my Trek 8000 in 1999 and are finished in a really cool looking red anodized finish. I believe most aftermarket Maverick rims are not available in this finish.

The asymmetrical rear rim makes a particularly strong wheel that can be ridden hard without worry. Like other Bontrager rims (Mustang, Valiant) which use a 2.5mm ASYM offset, it reduces drive-side dish that can weaken the wheel's integrity. The rims are welded at the seam and include a machined brake track. A very solid rim with everything that you need.

The only gripe I have about the rims is that they are a bit on the heavier side (450g). However, I believe you can get the Mavericks in aftermarket for about $38/rim, which makes them unbelievably affordable. Unfortunately, the lighter Mustangs are priced only a little more.

I am very happy with these rims, and am looking towards Bontrager's Mustangs or Valiants to build my next wheel. You will find that most Bontrager products are quality and durable, the Maverick rims do not fall far from the tree.

A variety.

[Apr 14, 2001]
Swanny

Strength:

They stay true

These rims are heavier than others I have ridden. I also get more flats on these rims than with the Mavic's I usually ride with on my other bikes.

These rims are not bad, but I don't think that they can compete with some of the offerings from Mavic. I have had more pinch flats with these rims than I ever had with any other wheelset I've owned. I had to put extra tape over the spoke holes just to prevent flatting. They do stay true though and that is a big plus for these rims.

Mavic 230's, Mavic 231's, Mavic 225's

[Jan 18, 2001]
Jim Hesketh

Strength:

Strong, have held up to many 4-5 foot drops. I beat the living @$#** out of these rims.

I am constantly beating on this bike. Thats what I bought it for...to have fun and be a weekend dare devil. These rins were trued once after the 30 day breakin period two years ago. Haven't had them trued since. They are great rims, and I'm a clydesdale (220 lbs)

If I find a 3 or 4 or 5 foot drop off, I hit it. I don't worry about tacos. Also, you have to know how to land once you get airborne !!!!!

Weinman Garbage.

[Mar 21, 2000]
Adam W

Strength:

Light enough
Strong enough
They work

hmm... weird brake surface, it squeeks a bit, but hey, it stops me

No complaints. None. Good weight/strength tradeoff, they get me where I need to go and let me have fun along the way. Okay, so I only weigh 150, but my handling skills could be better, I've thrashed wheels before (I have a collection growing...) - these have put up with it. Maybe I'm just getting better, or maybe these wheels rock.

OEM whatever-was-on-a-'98-Trek-930

[Jan 20, 2000]
Ice ManII

Strength:

Price
Strength
Appearance
Design
Features (eyelets, Machined Walls etc.)

Weight (for you weight weenies)

Best rim for the money. I'm kinda hard on wheels, but these was have lasted through it all. They come with everything you need short of Ceramic Walls. The only rim that I have tried that I would suggest over them are the Mavic X517, which is, and always will be, great rims.

You'll notice that I put weight under Strenght & Weakness. For me, the rim has the right amount of material, and that comes at the price of the weight. But, they're not light enough to build superlites.

Too many to list