Bontrager Corvair Rim

Bontrager Corvair Rim

• Tough front rim for ATB use
  • Patented welded and reinfroced seam with machined sidewalls
  • Stainless steel eyelets
  • 542 ERD

• USER REVIEWS

[May 16, 2008]
    Chris S

Strength:

Strong rim for an entry level rim. Fairly lightweight.

Havnt found any so far.

Put about 60 miles on this bike since I got it last week and havn't seen any major issues. About 25 of the miles where on mixed technical and gravel road trail, the rest was on the road commuting to class. So far its stayed true and tight, hopefully I wont have to break out the truing wrench...

rhyno lites, and the Giant factory rims.

[Apr 11, 2006]
    FIREtrekker Ed

Strength:

Surprisingly Light and strong/Great entry level rims, or all around rims with good setup.

Brake wall sucks when when wet- wish they had ceramic coating -I overcame this however by upgrading 2 ceramic pads on XTR M960 Vbrake-Awesome brake response! MUST TRUE or adjust spokes often!

If these came with your bike, leave em on there. They aren't XC wheels but with their weight they sure feel like it. They aren't hardcore mountain wheels, but they sure are strong enough to take on some sick rock gardens & drops...and endure on bumpy ground. IN order to get the most performance from these wheels you have to true them often -maintenance only. I've trued them 6 times this past year, but I only HAD to twice. The rest was for maintenance only (it's a good idea if you ride often and 4mid-range wheels like these). Also upgrade your spokes, hubs, and brakes for optimal use. In the spirit of upgrading, no sense in buying new -I've upgraded my MTB for type of riding I do and as so I've upgraded my wheelset, BUT kept the Corvairs. They get the job done with no dents, kinks, or tweaks and will surpass your expectations. Once you're ready for the next level(XC,AM,DH), then buy new stronger wheels. But you won't forget the Bontragers ... Good riding!

Mavic XL's(still have them-use em for long trips)

[Feb 13, 2006]
    Paul Rintoule

Strength:

strong, reliable, stay true - if properly tensioned

a titch heavy

The originally these rims came with a new Fisher Sugar. Before delivery, the bike mechanic at Clarence Street named Israel, a great guy who went on to run the workshop, personally tightened all of the spokes by hand. He said I would get a much better life out of them. I'm 5' 11" and weigh about 210lbs and wear out two chains, a rear cluster and front chainwheels in less than 12 months. He was absolutely correct. I actually wore the rear rim out after about 2 years and the front is now on my Liquid. I have hardly ever had to tweak these rims. I have never put them seriously out of round. So tension them up and they will give sterling service!

Mavic XC, Ryhno Lite, Mammoth

[Oct 07, 2002]
    Darac

Strength:

strong enough for XC,good entry level rim,wide breaking surface,not too heavy

bit heavy for serious XC,must be trued regullary

a few months ago I crashed at 30 km/h speed with some girl driving cheap hardtail,hiting her rim full front...after some sick superman endo,I helped the girl laying underneath her bike...boy that was the sight to see:cracked fork crown,bended bar and number eight look a like shaped rim,not to mention some minor scratches(on bike as well as her legs and arms),corvair was fine not even a tiny flex...they earned my trust,now they're still rolling straight after almost a year

[Jan 22, 2004]
    Jeremy

Strength:

Extremely strong, tolerant to hardcore abuse.

There arent any really, with the exception of the fact that the slightest amount of water will cause the brakes to squeak, but thats nothing that a little dirt can't fix

I have been riding this rim for a year. I have had no problems. I have gotten the front one trued once, and the back never had any problems. For all of the abuse i administer to it, i am surprised that i haven't cracked the rim by now. I have hit some of the hardest of surfaces and the rim itself stayed as true as the day i bought it. I have no complaints at all

[Sep 16, 2003]
    Colin Beck

Strength:

good if you don't plan on every riding your bike off road

I had my bike, Gary Fisher Tassajara, for 6 days, yes 6 days before I bent both of the wheels. The rhyno lites I had on my old bike lasted me over 6 years with nothing more than an occasional tighting of a spoke,and I rode them a heck of a lot harder.

Don't buy this rim, it sucks, weight looks all that doesn't matter when your walking your bike, buy a rhyno lite.

rhyno lite

[Oct 09, 2001]
    DENNIS C

Strength:

TOUGH, AND NICE LOOKING!

PINCH FLATS!

I BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF THIS BIKE. I'M 210 POUNDS AND LIKE TO RIDE ANYTHING! TRAILS, URBAN, ETC, AND I HAVE HAD NO REAL PROBLEMS. I HAVE BEEN NOTICING THAT PEOPLE SAY THE CORVAIR RIMS GO OUT OF TRUE EASY! WELL AFTER MANY DAYS OF 6 TO 8 FT DROPS AND LOTS OF DIRT JUMPING THEY STAID TRUE WHICH IS GREAT! THEN ON FRIDAY I WAS HIT BY A CAR WHILE RIDING AND MY FRONT RIMS BENT! IF THAT IS THE ONLY WAY TO GE THEM OUT OF TRUE THEY ARE A GREAT PRODUCT!

[Oct 30, 2003]
    eric

Strength:

Bulletproof so far

none so far

These came stock on my bike, with Bontrager hubs. In 2 years of riding...flat stuff, mud, sand, rocks, DHing at Big Bear and Mammoth, these rims have stayed true and round with out a problem. I have endoed multiple times at Mammoth and Bear w/o a ding in either rim. Hit nasty sharp and pointy granite boulders in Mammoth...no issues. The wheelsets have impressed me. I DO believe the strength of the rim is made by the quality of the wheel build. In other words GET IT DONE RIGHT!

=)

[Jul 23, 1999]
    spud
    Cross-Country Rider

first of all, for that hoser that had his spokes loossen: get real you skid..most new wheel's spokes come loose..this is called B R E A K I N G I N. the rear is ASYM which really does make the wheel stronger. mine have been ridden really hard for the past 3 months, and they are still fairly true. But you might have a hard time buying these wheels because they are only sold to bike manufacturers( i think), this is why they aren't on bonty's page.

[Jan 15, 2000]
    Ben Jensen

Strength:

not real expensive; pretty good weight

untrue much to easy

Good for the money, but they get bent too easy. I'd much rather have a set of Mavics.

mavics