Bontrager Clysedale Rim

Bontrager Clysedale Rim

• Super strong 3-cavity design
  • 6061 aluminum
  • Great for tandem use
  • Stainless steel eyelets.

• USER REVIEWS

[Oct 16, 2002]
    Theodore Jump

Strength:

Bombproof.

Weight, for the gram-counters out there, for the rest of us none AFAIK.

I broke three rims the first six months riding in Austin ( 2x Mavic, 1x Bontrager ) with either radial cracks from spoke holes or longitudinal cracks, all on the rear wheel.

Got the wheel built up with the Clyde rim, DT double-butted spokes, and have had zero problems since then. I have around 2500 miles on the wheel on my hardtail, and over 2000 on the wheel on my Enduro, both rims have stayed round & true far longer than I have expected, and have required little truing maintenance.

Mavic 217, Araya RM-17, Aray RM-20, Bontrager Mustang Asym

[May 28, 2001]
    Marcus Van Kommer

Strength:

very strong, have not had to true rim since initial build

built up on a fixed gear road bike commuter, wanted a rim I that could handle the curbs when someone trys to run me over. I have sold them off and the new owner still hasn't had to true them

[Aug 06, 2000]
    David Martin

Strength:

I ran this rim for almost two years and never had to true it. I ran it in the rear with XT hub. I just got rid of it due to a crack in the side wall. I did a lot of street riding with it. the only reason it got a crack in the side wall is because i ran my tire with way too low tire pressure on accident one day. I bunnyhoped up three stairs at full speed and tagged the top stair and bent one side of the rim all the way in. I tok a pair of canel locks and bent it back out and rode it for 6 more months. THE RIM NEVER WENT OUT OF TRUE! It was still riding fine the day I cut it off.

Weight is the only weekness that I can see. I decided to run this rim though because I was constantly bending rear rims. At 200 lbs I needed the Clydsdale. Even with the crack n the side wall I did some 3-4 ft drops to flat pavement on street rides and the rime never even budged. Kudos to Kieth Bontrager!

If you need a bomb proof rim that will not bend and will stay in true under weight then run the Clydsdale. Properly built, it will not let you down.

I am running a Sun Rhino Lite now so we will see how it compares