Avro Icycle Rim

Icycle

Whether you are racing, touring or commuting in winter a large footprint from from your tire is very important. A wide light weight rim is the way to get that footprint whether you ride a 1.9 or 2.3 inch tire.The Icycle Rim is 45 mm wide and has a braking surface. You can ride pressures as low as 5 pounds.

John Devon   Weekend Warrior [Jan 21, 2006]
Strength:

A great winter riding rim. Widens the tire profile for a huge footprint. Help grip on snow and ice. Works even better with studded tires.

None.

I think the are no longer made, but if you find some lying around a shop as I did these are probaly the best winter rims made. SnoCats should get a hold of one an copy it.

Similar Products Used: SnoCats which were much weaker and bent.
OVERALL
Doug   Racer [Nov 20, 2002]
Strength:

This should be a great winter rim. The welded rims were certainly good for those who actually received them.
Wide rims on packed snow are definitely the way to ride in the winter.

I ordered the icycle zum rim around october of 2001, in february of 2002 they finally sent me the wrong rims. The order clearly said that I was getting Icycle zum rims with a braking surface. What I got were welded rims with coated braking surface. The company then told me that they had simply sent me the wrong rims as a temporary substitute untill they could send me the real rims. The real rims would be shipped shortly. I sanded in my own braking surfaces and have been using the welded rims.
I still haven't gotten the real rims. (1 year later) Their e-mail appears to be disconnected.
The customer service from this company leaves lots to be desired. I would like to get the rims some day though. (since I paid for them)

Nice rims if you can get them.