WTB Momentum Hubs Hub

WTB Momentum Hubs

Chris   Cross Country Rider [Oct 22, 2001]
Strength:

Cheap. Lighter than Shimano.

Badly designed. The hub puts a side load on the cartridge bearings, causing them to seize up every 4-6 months. The dust seals are easy to install incorrectly, causing high drag. Replacement bearings extremely expensive. Unresponsive customer service (they wanted me to "send the hub back and we'll look at it" - I should pay $20 shipping on a wheel, put my bike out of commission for a few weeks, for them to maybe possibly do something?)

Buy something else if you ride regularly.

Similar Products Used: Shimano (various, all good), Cane Creek (okay)
Offrhodes   Cross Country Rider [Dec 22, 2001]
Strength:

Easy to service, great customer support, nice and simple

I had one rear hub blow up (but WTB fixed under warranty)

I used to have two of the identical wheelsets, but I sold one this past year. This hubs are so simple to work on with the grease guard just squirt in some fresh grease now and then and you are all set. This does not mean you don't have to overhaul the hub though, depending on how much you ride you should still take it apart 1 or 2 times a year and totally clean it out. I had one of the rear hubs blow up on me, but WTB set me a new one in under two weeks under warranty. A great company to deal with. The one wheelset I have now has been through everything and still runs great. No creaking like other people re saying. Grease does ooze out a litle during riding, but is easy to wipe off with a rag. I highly suggest trying WTB products. Both the company and the products are high class. I will give it 5 stars, the one bad hub I had was fixed quick and professionally and I have had no problems with the replacement or the front hub in 2 years.

Similar Products Used: XT, Sachs new success, LX
Dan Munsey   Cross Country Rider [Oct 04, 2000]
Strength:

CUSTOMER SERVICE. light wieght, looks good, smooth, trouble free!

not found yet.

Customer service rocks! I emailed a question on weather routine maintance was needed, how often, rebuild info..so on, so on. I have come to not expect much from bike companies, they usually rarely take the time to help the small-guy, they instead (if they reply at all) tell you to go to your LBS. NOT WTB"S they TELEPHONED me back, then the rep (sorry missed his name) spent about 20 min. talking hubs with me, even looking up bearing specks. FROM THIS ONE PHONE CALL THEY GOT A CUSTOMER FOR LIFE! Extremly please with the company!
OK on to the bottom line...these hubs are bomber, they (disk hubs) use cartridge bearing and need little maintance, when, if they where out pop a couple of more in. After yearsof rebuilding XT's this is a huge relief. My hubs after 3 hard months (over 100 miles crosscountry a week) are still like new!!!The laser rims have been Bomber to and take the abuse with only 1 minor tweek with a spoke wrench!!! Very happy...well exstatic actually!

Similar Products Used: XT, XTR, Ringle'
Bill   Cross Country Rider [Sep 07, 2000]

I run the front hub. I ran over my wheel/hub with my honda accord. Broke my skewer tip clean off and bent the skewer 90 degrees. The Hub??? Fine, no problems, no sh**. I couldn't believe it since my car obviously ran over the hub axle. I would be crazy not to be satisified. Incidentally, my WTB lazerbeam rims were fine too. Still true!

Sherman   Weekend Warrior [Jul 03, 2000]
Strength:

Grease guard
Front is easy to rebuild

Rear uses the cone and nut system

The front hub is great because it is so easy to take apart and put back together, I have not had a problem with the bearings yet and I don't use the grease guard too often, probably once a month or so. The grease guard system is great. The rear hub only has the grease guard on one side and it still uses the cone and nut system on the drive side. It would be nice if they were both sealed bearings. I have had troubles with the rear wheel loosening because of the cone and nut system. I would not buy the rear hub again but I am totally sold on the front.

Similar Products Used: XT
Rob Butner   Racer [Apr 10, 2000]
Strength:

Greaseguard, weight, smooth

discharge (not bad)

Used these for about 2 months now and they are still workign great. Had to bring it in for a quick adjustment of the tightness of the hub, but throw the grease in with a grease gun and let the old cr*p ooze out, and you got some smooth runnin hubs again!

Similar Products Used: LX Hub
Nuwanda   Racer [Feb 16, 2000]
Strength:

Light, Grease Guard (no maintenance), and easily re-buildable.

I'm extremely pleased with these hubs. I have a speedo, and have logged over 5,000 miles, and the WTB's still roll smooth and solid. Riding with fellow gear heads, the WTB's roll faster than the XTR's and XT's. The Grease Guard is an invaluable feature. A shot of grease once or twice a month will ensure hub life to at least 10,000 miles! This winter I embarked on re-building both hubs. After a quick e-mail to WTB, two days later the replacement cartridge bearings & accessories arrived. Pop out the old, pop in the new, and it's hit the road Jack! The rear hub was more work - the cog side bearing isn't a cartridge, it uses a Shimano XT cup, cone and steel bearings. Bottom line - I'd definitely buy WTB again, that is if these ones ever die.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XTR, XT, and Machine Tech
James Connell   Racer [Oct 05, 1999]
Strength:

light weight, very smooth.
great for road riding and other applications where heavy exposure to and imersion in possible conaminants is not likely

judging from what I have read in the other reviews, if I ever decided to take my raod bike through a muddy stream, I might have some issues. but since that isn't going to happen.. none that I can see.

While I probably wouldn't put this hub on my mountain bike, I like it pretty well for a road bike, I am running the momentum up front and ultegra in back, and have been very pleased with the momentum hub compared to my past experiences with ultegra, low price (I think cambria bike online was selling the front hubs for something like $30) and light weight make it a great choice

Similar Products Used: Ultegra, Dura Ace, older Campy chorus,
the momentum does not feel as smooth as the dura ace hubs on my tubular wheelset, but it beats ultegra front, my old chorus hubs and with a light skewer it beats both in weight
John Thomas   cross-country rider [Aug 06, 1998]

I purchased the momentum front hub and laced it up to a 517. After I looked at these reviews, I was pretty pissed off at myself for buying it. Despite the reviews, the bearings are extremely smooth and the grease guard system rules. To add to the seals, I put some rubber front hub boots from an old sovos hub on. Hopefully this will help aid to the life of the hub. I think the general concept of these hubs is to put in new grease after every muddy ride, which would eliminate the bearing problem, but makes the grease guard system absolutely worthless! If you don't have to overhaul a good ol' XT hub after about a year, what's the point of making an easy overhauling system that you have to use so frequently? Anyway, as far as my first impression, these hubs deserve a 5 (very high quality, very smooth, etc.) I'll review these again later once I am able to come to a conclusion about the seals and if they really need to be greased after every ride.

GREG   weekend warrior [Aug 07, 1998]

I've been riding on my wtb hubs for a year and a half and have not had a single problem with them. I'm not too much of a stickler for weight and the greaseguard feature is really nice for monthly maintenance. When the time comes to replace them, front or back, I'll probably go with something a little bit more trick, but for now they have not let me down once.