WTB Laserdisc Lite Hub

WTB Laserdisc Lite Hub

Pick up a durable WTB 32h LaserDisc Lite Front Hub, and lace it up to a lightweight rim for XC domination, or use a wider rim for all-mountain cruising. The fully machined aluminum shell, alloy axles, and adjustable stainless steel cartridge bearings give this ultralight hub strength and performance without the fat.

[Jul 07, 2015]
jsqrd75
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Lightweight

The pawl cam plate engagement spring on the rear hub is weak. Apparently there is a new stronger design, yet it was the newer of two of these hubs I own that failed.

This rear wheel failed at the pawl engagement spring after about 100 miles of riding. The spring broke off of the freehub body. Additionally, 4 of the 6 pawls fell out of the hub on the trail, leaving me to scoot my way back to the trailhead as the hub obviously would no longer engage. WTB warranty service was rude, unhelpful and uninterested in supporting their customers. Do not count on WTB to stand behind their product or do anything, but try to get you off the phone. In my experience, their service ends once they have your money.

[Feb 20, 2014]
mhelander

Strength:

Light, cheap from Ebay (TW), very solid performance.

Not compatible with SKF E2 (Energy Efficient) bearings

Bought my 1st set for non-discount price, 28h front and 32h rear, for my multi-purpose MetaPhysic recumbent, and laced for DT-Swiss R520 rims. To be used with caliber brakes and road tires, and for winter & off-road with wider tires and disc brakes.

These hubs are just great ! Very quiet and exceptionally well working freehub. Yes, it digs little SRAM 9sp cassette cogs but nothing serious. Then found from Ebay for half the price pair of 32h hubs which were built for DT-Swiss XR-400 and XM-490 rims. Again very good performance and no problems whatsoever.

As these hubs are just so well functioning took first hub set away from road wheelset and laced to WTB LaserDisc XC & 29er Trail rims using 2.0/1.5 3-cross spokes. This wheeset is for my racing, very stiff and light, and works with tubeless MTB tires just perfect.

Rear hub flanges are nicely placed in relation to hub centerline so building rear wheel was easiest I've done to date. Front is like typical disc hub build.

DT-Swiss, Hope Pro III

[Jan 19, 2013]
cpfitness

Strength:

inexpensive

not durable at all

These hubs came on my WTB laser TCS Trail 29er wheelset. The wheelset is great, the rims are stout, they seal up tubeless with no issues, I was in love. Less than 100 miles on the wheels and most of that a short 2 mile round trip commute to and from my job here in NYC and all of the sudden the rear hub just gives way. I decided to do some research on it to see if it's a known issue and of course, I see that this has happened to many people. I'm a 250lb clydesdale and new to MTB from the road world. I don't do any crazy riding but basedon the reviews it sounds like these hubs simply are not up to the job. I'm just grateful they broke down on my block instead of out on the trail which for me living in nyc car free is a 40 minute train ride and a 4 mile bike ride each way to the trail. Seems like a serious design flaw with the hubs. Hopefully the warranty service will be good, I really like the wheels but I hope they don't send the same one out, I may end up biting the bullet and just getting my own hub and relacing.

[Nov 08, 2010]
VR6ix

Strength:

they are black
unique freehub pawl design

unique freehub pawl design

freehub body does not like individual-cog cassettes

cartridge bearings are very small considering the size of the hub

freehub body and engagement plate are considered "wear items"

avoid the rear hub. no way around it.

there is a principle design flaw when the freehub body (what is it made from... sintered metal?) is so soft that the 6 pawl teeth (of the otherwise ingenious freehub system) will wear away and cause ridges to build-up on the edge of the freewheel engagement points.

plus, the whole thing relies on a SINGLE spring-wire end to snag into a stamped steel plate to engage the 6 drive pawls. huge problem, since the end of the spring wire that does all the work is also constantly worn down and made less effective, plus if any of the corresponding engagement points on the plate get knackered... you're screwed! 6 bomb-proof engagement pawls depend on 1 little temperamental interface, that's just dumb.

I bought my example used, and it was a mess. after re-furb'ing what I could, there is still one spot in the engagement that skips. it's a horrible feeling to stomp on the pedals and not have the freewheel bite.

it's like: rebuild the wheel with new freehub body + "service" parts, 4x new bearings... and then try to sell the pile for more than the amount of money you just dumped into the thing. or, keep it as a spare, that you will never use, because it is lame.

somewhere along the way, this was a great design idea that got shanghai'd into budgeted-manufacturing doom.

Bottom Line: keep looking!

Shimano XT, Hadley.

[Jun 15, 2010]
racerxxv

Strength:

Light

Not terribly durable

Teeth on the freehub body gave up. Effectively ending my race. But, hey. These things happen. Ordered a new freehub body....2 months ago. It's looking like I still have another 2 weeks to wait for this part. In the middle of riding season. 3 months without my wheels. If this were my only bike, I'd be realllly fired up.

E-mail'd WTB. No response. So. In my humble opinion. Iffy product. Crap service.

My next wheelset will not have WTB hubs.

Mavic CrossMax, XTs on 517s, Rolf, XTR, Hope

[May 20, 2010]
noahm

Strength:

Fast, smooth rolling. Durable.

Freehub is a little loud.

These hubs are great. They roll very well and basically just do what hubs are supposed to do. I never had to adjust them or perform any significant maintenance on them in the year that I used them. These wheels have since moved to my girlfriend's bike, as I needed 15QR hubs for my new bike, and she is perfectly happy with them. If I could have used standard dropouts on the new bike, I'd have been happy to move these hubs/wheels to it. I wouldn't hesitate to consider these bikes on a future wheelset.

Shimano Deore, Specialized.

[Sep 16, 2009]
arctic slalom

Strength:

strong and light

nothing yet

i weigh 225 and these have held up great. they came on a set 717 mavics from colorado cyclist a few years bad. after the first three of four rides I had the local shop check the spokes and make some adjustments, and since then (over 4 years ago) they have been great.

i would recommend these to anyone. WTB makes some great stuff.

lx, xt

[Sep 13, 2009]
azrael429

Strength:

strong flanges,very light,10mm internal axle easily adjustable,good sound.

soft freehub body,chrome(not stainless) sealed bearings(in 2009 model),soft engagement spring and plate.

these hubs are built to be light. For x-country only apparently and im sure with yearly service they would hold up to that.Unfortunately they dont work for heavy trail riding,i meticulously clean and adjust them and subsequently Destroyed them(internals)in 600 miles. Great warranty response from those guys. Brand new bearings internals and free hub body sent out to me no questions asked. Apparently this has happened before.

XT,DT240,sun ringle,

[Aug 29, 2009]
dhong

Strength:

Decent price, light weight

durability is an issue

I bought this wheelset from Colorado Cyclist built up with mavic 819xm. good weight and initial ride quality. But the hubs failed (bearings and freewheel) with less than a year of moderate use. Colorado Cyclist makes great wheels, and they warrantied the hubs no problem. I think the second rear hub I got worked for aout 7 months before it started to develop play. They warrantied them again, and then I sold the entire bike a few months later. Cant recommend them with a good conscious. Hubs just gotta work. Engagement, durability and weight. What else is there?

Shimano XT, XTR,

[Jul 21, 2009]
GrantB

Strength:

Light. Sealed bearings last forever and require no maintenance. When they do go south they are easy to source and replace. WTB is easy to deal with for other replacement parts. Ease of adjustment.

The freehub design will eventually fail. It may take 3 years of hard riding, but they will fail. Check once a season at least.

Bottom line...They ride well enough and are cheap enough to maintain that it doesn't make sense to either go to a cheaper, heavier hub or a more expensive, more brightly colored replacement.

I'm going to call the last guy out. When the rear hub develops slop, it can be brought back into line with a couple of cone wrenches and two nuts on the non-drive side. You don't even have to remove the wheel from the frame. Those same nuts hold the axle and freehub body in/on the hub body. It's a supremely easy hub to keep adjusted.

It is easy to get a nice light wheelset out of the LDL hubs without going nuts on parts. Butted spokes and decent rims and you are golden.

Maintenance is easy (above). Twice in the six years I have had the hubs I have need to replace the freehub. Both times I called WTB directly and they were more than happy to get me what I needed. Once you get the stuff on the bench, You aren't in the guts of the thing long before you are rolling again.

Only high end hubs I've ever had. I don't feel the urge to go to something anodized.